Seasons Start Power Rankings

R_Dudley

Thought it might be interesting to see how this changes throughout the season. Don't really know that much about his expertise and while I agree with some of his rankings and Sabs summary in general he seems off base to me on a bunch of others and I certainly do not agree with where he's ranked the Sabres to start.

Yahoo Power ranking

....24. Buffalo Sabres The Sabres are committed to their young core, which is untested. Buffalo wasn’t active in the free-agent market – whether by design or the fact they have trouble recruiting isn’t clear. They may pay for it this season, although with Ottawa and Toronto in the division the Sabres still could finish third and second isn’t out of the question if Montreal struggles. The playoffs, however, are a stretch.

Thought it might be interesting to see how this changes throughout the season. Don't really know that much about his expertise and while I agree with some of his rankings and Sabs summary in general he seems off base to me on a bunch of others and I certainly do not agree with where he's ranked the Sabres to start.

ESPN Power ranking

....24. Buffalo Sabres The Sabres are committed to their young core, which is untested. Buffalo wasn’t active in the free-agent market – whether by design or the fact they have trouble recruiting isn’t clear. They may pay for it this season, although with Ottawa and Toronto in the division the Sabres still could finish third and second isn’t out of the question if Montreal struggles. The playoffs, however, are a stretch.

I agree with his assessment, but I think we should be sitting around 20th.

ESPN Power ranking

You've got Yahoo!'s power ranking there. ESPN actually has the Sabres at 13. Sports Illustrated, 20th; TSN, when they last had it, 19th (IIRC).

Heck, the same Yahoo! writer had the Sabres at 20th before the preseason. What could the Sabres have done during the preseason to change his mind?

I can't see how 24th is a sound evaluation. Anywhere between 12th and 20th probably is, for right now. It's not like the team did a lot this summer to gain gravitas in the eyes of the press.

I agree with his assessment, but I think we should be sitting around 20th.

Oops forgot that piece on mine I agree with 20 rank above Sens, Coyotes and Lightning and am undecided on the last bump up between Montreal and/or Edmonton or Dallas... but bottom line I think there is at least 4 ranks higher out of that six.

You've got Yahoo!'s power ranking there. ESPN actually has the Sabres at 13. Sports Illustrated, 20th; TSN, when they last had it, 19th (IIRC).

Heck, the same Yahoo! writer had the Sabres at 20th before the preseason. What could the Sabres have done during the preseason to change his mind?

I can't see how 24th is a sound evaluation. Anywhere between 12th and 20th probably is, for right now. It's not like the team did a lot this summer to gain gravitas in the eyes of the press.

Thanks for the source correction and added predictions. That's good to balance it out. Would be cool if all these initial prediction links stay active throughout the season so we can see who is really a better guesser at the end.

Oops forgot that piece on mine I agree with 20 rank above Sens, Coyotes and Lightning and am undecided on the last bump up between Montreal and/or Edmonton or Dallas... but bottom line I think there is at least 4 ranks higher out of that six.

24th or 20th, is there really much of a difference?

Archived