US Senators : Coyotes' relocation could hurt Sabres

Spudz

The haikuer has become the haikued. Punch knew we would have years of fun with Tsujimoto.

Two things that have puzzled me. Is that Punch in your avatar, or Marty Feldman?

And did Punch actually throw away a draft pick in the Taro prank?

Two things that have puzzled me. Is that Punch in your avatar, or Marty Feldman?

And did Punch actually throw away a draft pick in the Taro prank?

Depends on your definition of "throw away a draft pick."

Back in the early 70's, the draft had no set # of rounds. A team could keep drafting players for as long as they wanted. In '74, the price of drafting a player after pick 64 was $2k w/ another $2k due if he turned pro.

The Sabres drafted Tsujimoto with the 183rd overall pick in '74 in the 11th round.

The Sabres only drafted one more player. It'd be very interesting to hear what Bob Geoffrion thought of the whole thing as he was the player the Sabres selected 196th in the 12th round. (There ended up 247 draft picks that year.)

The pick wasn't really thrown away unless the Sabres had REALLY wanted one of the 12 guys picked in the interim or if somebody else had taken Geoffrion (which actually would have saved the $2k they spent on the 183rd).

Apparently Imlach did it to screw with League President Clarence Campbell because Campbell decided to hold the entire draft via phone to keep the WHA from finding out who got drafted when.

So, considering Campbell made Punch throw away 2 days of his life, Punch throwing away $2k of Seymour's money and forcing Campbell to have to tell ALL the other teams who the Sabres drafted a mere 17 times

(yes, you heard me correctly, yes that's T-A-R-O, yes that's T-S-U-J-I-M-O-T-O, no, no, that's J-I not I-J, no, no, not Toledo, Tokyo, TO-KEY-OH, yes with the rice and geishas, no, no, not kayaks, Katanas, K-A, K-A, Stan how is that spelled, oh yes K-A-T-A-N-A-S, yes he's a center, ...)

when none of the players selected between Buffalo's 11th and 12th picks made the NHL, I wouldn't say he threw the pick away.

Depends on your definition of "throw away a draft pick."

Back in the early 70's, the draft had no set # of rounds. A team could keep drafting players for as long as they wanted. In '74, the price of drafting a player after pick 64 was $2k w/ another $2k due if he turned pro.

The Sabres drafted Tsujimoto with the 183rd overall pick in '74 in the 11th round.

The Sabres only drafted one more player. It'd be very interesting to hear what Bob Geoffrion thought of the whole thing as he was the player the Sabres selected 196th in the 12th round. (There ended up 247 draft picks that year.)

The pick wasn't really thrown away unless the Sabres had REALLY wanted one of the 12 guys picked in the interim or if somebody else had taken Geoffrion (which actually would have saved the $2k they spent on the 183rd).

Apparently Imlach did it to screw with League President Clarence Campbell because Campbell decided to hold the entire draft via phone to keep the WHA from finding out who got drafted when.

So, considering Campbell made Punch throw away 2 days of his life, Punch throwing away $2k of Seymour's money and forcing Campbell to have to tell ALL the other teams who the Sabres drafted a mere 17 times

(yes, you heard me correctly, yes that's T-A-R-O, yes that's T-S-U-J-I-M-O-T-O, no, no, that's J-I not I-J, no, no, not Toledo, Tokyo, TO-KEY-OH, yes with the rice and geishas, no, no, not kayaks, Katanas, K-A, K-A, Stan how is that spelled, oh yes K-A-T-A-N-A-S, yes he's a center, ...)

when none of the players selected between Buffalo's 11th and 12th picks made the NHL, I wouldn't say he threw the pick away.

Enlightening. Thanks.

Did you see the story in Paul Wieland's book about how Seymour almost "met" Taro in a hotel? Hilarious.

Enlightening. Thanks.

Did you see the story in Paul Wieland's book about how Seymour almost "met" Taro in a hotel? Hilarious.

Yes, I did. My wife got me that book for Christmas. Great read, but I never have bothered listening to the CD that came with it. Is it any good? I still haven't read Swados' book though. THAT one should be great for insight into the early days of the team and how the league worked back in the day (he was League Secretary for a while in addition to his roles w/ the Sabres).

Did you notice that Wieland had the year wrong for when TT was drafted?

Yes, I did. My wife got me that book for Christmas. Great read, but I never have bothered listening to the CD that came with it. Is it any good? I still haven't read Swados' book though. THAT one should be great for insight into the early days of the team and how the league worked back in the day (he was League Secretary for a while in addition to his roles w/ the Sabres).

Did you notice that Wieland had the year wrong for when TT was drafted?

I read Swados' book. It's flawed, but there is plenty of behind-the-scenes NHL and Sabres stuff that is quite interesting.

I'll have to pick up Wieland's. What's he doing these days?

Archived