The self-fulfilling prophecy of doom

PASabreFan

Depends on your view or philosophy of coaching. Ever had a boss like, hammering you at every turn?

I've had bosses who have demanded accountability and held me to high standards. I like those type of guys. I know if I meet their expectations, my project will be successful, and as a result, good things will happen in my career.

I'd rather have this type of boss than some Oprah wanna-be who makes me and my team feel good, but does nothing to promote accountability. Those types of bosses are fun to work for, but nothing ever gets done.

I've had bosses who have demanded accountability and held me to high standards. I like those type of guys. I know if I meet their expectations, my project will be successful, and as a result, good things will happen in my career.

I'd rather have this type of boss than some Oprah wanna-be who makes me and my team feel good, but does nothing to promote accountability. Those types of bosses are fun to work for, but nothing ever gets done.

Did you ever have a boss tell you, "OK, no secret, you suck at sales. If you develop 10 solid leads all month, you're lucky. When you get a chance to make a sale, DON'T CHOKE!" I'm all for accountability. It's Ruff's attitude that is wearing down the players, IMHO. They've responded by spending a lot of time in the break room.

Ruff may have gotten frustrated towards the end of the year but he is not the problem. Lack of talented playmaking hard nosed center is. The Sabres have two talented centers in Roy and Connolly but they are not hard nosed. Goose is hard nosed, but not a playmaker and Ellis and sometimes Mair seem have a little bit of both but not enough. The Sabres need someone in the middle that can play hard and still handle the puck. Not sure if the mighty mites can do that, Max was hoped to step into that roll on the wing and it didn't happen. The Sabres just over-estimated the impact of losing the play making capabilities of Grier, Drury, Briere and Campbell. The D is more traditional, but the centers don't have the muscle and it is badly needed.

The injuries to Connolly, Vanek and Miller and earlier the slow the recoveries of Tallinder, Hecht and Gaustad really hurt the Sabres in wins and a playoff chance. If I am the Sabres, I go looking for big centers who can hit and pass. Maybe some of the colleges have one, Marco with UMass has some wide shoulders, there are others in the OHL and WHL that might fit the bill, but get off the anti-ruff kick.

This was a Regier/Quinn issue. Ruff just shows the exasperation on his face. A broad shouldered Richards type guy is what the Sabres need, or a Gaustad with scoring touch. Hecht was supposed to do that be his injury messed that up.

The one thing the Sabres could have used is something to lighten up the locker room and to that extent Ruff failed. When Miller went down, the fell hard, but they were already playing tight by then and never really came out of it with any consistency.

Did you ever have a boss tell you, "OK, no secret, you suck at sales. If you develop 10 solid leads all month, you're lucky. When you get a chance to make a sale, DON'T CHOKE!" I'm all for accountability. It's Ruff's attitude that is wearing down the players, IMHO. They've responded by spending a lot of time in the break room.

Not in those exact words, but I have been on project teams that have been told that we were under-performing by our boss, and that if we didn't get our act together, the project and our jobs were on the line. Some of us pulled our act together and delivered the project. Those that didn't get the message were laid off, and I'm glad they were. Our company is more successful without them.

Ruff's attitude isn't the problem here. It's the player's attitude, and those who "spend time in the break room" should be sent out of town ala Miro Satan.

Archived