Who do you NOT want back next year?

LabattBlue

I didn't include Quinny or OSP because the team isn't being sold and Quinny has his head so far up OSP's ass that it will take a lifetime to separate them. I also didn't include guys who were up for a cup of coffee like Weber, Kennedy, Gerbe & Mancari.

Disclaimer... I know the season isn't over with yet, but it is slipping away quickly and I'm ready to go into off-season mode.

I voted these guys off the island...Pominville, Hecht, Mair, Peters, MacArthur, Max, Ellis, Tallinder, Teppo, Spacek, Paetsch and everybody in the FO section.

Peters, Teppo, Max & Spacek are givens. All UFA's, all leaving for different reasons. More often than not, Mair doesn't want to fill the role he is being paid for. Ellis is a career AHL'er. Tallinder, Pominville & Hecht are founding members of the quiche eaters club and need to move on(These 3 fall under the category of TOO MANY OF THE SAME TYPE OF PLAYER!) Paetsch and MacArthur are easily replaceable. Trade for picks.

I voted these guys off the island...Pominville, Hecht, Mair, Peters, MacArthur, Max, Ellis, Tallinder, Teppo, Spacek, Paetsch and everybody in the FO section.

Peters, Teppo, Max & Spacek are givens. All UFA's, all leaving for different reasons. More often than not, Mair doesn't want to fill the role he is being paid for. Ellis is a career AHL'er. Tallinder, Pominville & Hecht are founding members of the quiche eaters club and need to move on(These 3 fall under the category of TOO MANY OF THE SAME TYPE OF PLAYER!) Paetsch and MacArthur are easily replaceable. Trade for picks.

Wish I could add teppo & darcy myself; life is too short, I spaced them. I did put lindy in my pix. It would probably be best for all. But it all falls back to the goal of competitive or a winner.

I like Vanek, Butler and Miller. Keep them. I'm not saying that I want the rest of the lot to go but no one is untouchable. Unfortunately, they're on the hook with Connolly, Roy and Pominville but they could help teams that are looking for secondary scoring options. If guys aren't moved and we have the same core next year, we can expect Buffalo to be just south of mediocre again.

Like most fans, I'm angry, so I may not mean this a month after the season ends.

Gone: Pominville, Hecht, Moore, Max, Tallinder, Lydman. Darcy and McCutcheon (I thought I clicked him but now I'm not so sure.)

Pominville is one I'm on the fence about. I can handle an 18-41-59 down season at $1.3M, but at $5.3M? No frigging way. He's got to be a 75-point player at $5.3M, or he's got to be gone.

Roy (plus prospects) will bring us the most in a deal for a top six, leader (Dustin Brown - LA).

Pominville has until next trading deadline to get his sh*t together.

Hecht is done in my book. So long.

Mair can walk.

Moore can stay for the right price. He can replace Hecht.

Peters. Are you kidding me?

MacArthur is not valuable enough to keep Gerbe or Kennedy off this roster. He can stay...if cheap.

Max. No glimpse of late season play saves your ass. The experiment is over. Move on #61 jersey owners.

Ellis. See MacArthur.

Rivet gets heathy this offseason or gets lost.

Tallinder is more overdue than Max for a change of scenery. Jeez. Where did it go wrong for this guy?

Teppo is not bringing that calming influence as Paul Hamilton had us all believe was his greatest benefit to this young team. What's up Paul?

Lydman stays. He can go for the right move and the right veteran defenseman in return.

Paetsch. See Kalinin circa 2007-8. (Gone)

Spacek stays cheap or not at all. Theme song - 'Good Times, Bad Times'. An entertaining interview. We will miss Spacho, but the youth needs the ice time.

Paille. What can we get for him? He's in the same boat as Pommer.

Who in the hell even considered wanting Gaustad gone??? I'm suprised there were two votes!!! Blasphemy!!!!!!!

Weber, Butler, possibly another prospect take top six ice time next season with Lydman, Sekera and Rivet. Another veteran joins the club for 2009-2010.

Goose, Kaleta, Vanek, Connolly, Stafford, Pominville, Moore, Gerbe, Kennedy, Paille return with a new, top-six forward/ alternate captain (Brown-LA, Shane Doan, Todd White, Mike Fisher, Brandon Dubinsky, David Backes, Steve Ott,, Erik Cole, Jarett Stoll, Ryan Malone - you get the idea) from a trade and fill the rest of the spots with cheap roster players (The General, Ellis, Mancari, etc...)

The Slug goes as well. The third jerseys are awesome, plus the record is good in them.

I digress...

Who in the hell even considered wanting Gaustad gone??? I'm suprised there were two votes!!! Blasphemy!!!!!!!

What the heck has goose done? I'd rather throw Kaleta out there over Goose. Why is this guys such an untouchable.

Honestly....He has been injured each of the last couple seasons, is not consistent, and is not the big man in front of the net that we need. In fact... he really isn't even playng physical anymore which is why people seem to be in love with this guy.

Goose has done nothing this year to put himself in a seperate catagory from Hecht, Pommer, Etc.

When is the last time Goose "dominated" a game....or when was the last time we won a game because of Goose?

This guy is not an untouchable.

Goose has done nothing this year to put himself in a seperate catagory from Hecht, Pommer, Etc.

When is the last time Goose "dominated" a game....or when was the last time we won a game because of Goose?

November 28, 2008

4-3 Buffalo over Pittsburgh.

Gaustad has the go-ahead and another go-ahead for the win.

For a third-line center, he brings enough 'intangibles' to not ignore. (faceoffs)

He is not untouchable, I'll agree.

He seperates himself from Pommer and Hecht by playing a significantly more consistant game.

Bad Penalties from time-to-time.

A couple more two-goal games this year in addition.

On this team you need Kaleta and Gaustad.

I guess I don't see what there is to dislike about him, as compared to others on this squad that have really let me down.

What the heck has goose done? I'd rather throw Kaleta out there over Goose. Why is this guys such an untouchable.

Honestly....He has been injured each of the last couple seasons, is not consistent, and is not the big man in front of the net that we need. In fact... he really isn't even playng physical anymore which is why people seem to be in love with this guy.

He wouldn't be at the top of my list to trade, but I agree with your post. As his pro career in both the AHL & NHL has progressed it seems that he has forgotten what got him here in the first place(see Adam Mair).

That being said, this team is so ridiculously soft that even if Gaustad is somewhat physical every 4th or 5th game, he is still better in that department than the majority of the team and therefore, I'm not sure the Sabres can afford to part with him.

Roy (plus prospects) will bring us the most in a deal for a top six, leader (Dustin Brown - LA).

Pominville has until next trading deadline to get his sh*t together.

Spacek stays cheap or not at all. Theme song - 'Good Times, Bad Times'. An entertaining interview. We will miss Spacho, but the youth needs the ice time.

Paille. What can we get for him? He's in the same boat as Pommer.

The Slug goes as well. The third jerseys are awesome, plus the record is good in them.Agreed!!!

Roy stays.

Unfortunetly, I think were screwed with Pommer now, nobody will give value in return for his $5+ salary. Dustin would be amazing as a Sabre though :wub:

Other than that, defensive thoughts are:

Lydman/Tallinder (I have to argue cost/quality/experience on Hanks behave)

Spacek/Sekera

Butler/Rivet (not as captain though, please)

Gaustad needs to remember what got him to the NHL. He is the shining example of what is wrong with the Sabres. He has great size and on most nights he is about as much a physical presence as Roy is. Gaustad needs to be this teams Chris Neal or Sean Avery.

Keepers: Miller, Vanek, Connolly (the only guy talented enough to get Vanek the puck), Goose, Pommers, Sekera (easily the most upside of any D), Butler, Weber. And Lindy.

Gone, I hope: Hecht, Tallinder, Spacek, Lydman, Teppo, Petey, Ellis, Rivet ( is NOT a good D-man).

Get something in trade if we can: Roy (too casual, lazy on D), everyone else.

Need: HEART! Leadership. A real captain.

Gone: Pominville, Hecht, Moore, Max, Tallinder, Lydman. Darcy and McCutcheon (I thought I clicked him but now I'm not so sure.)

Pominville is one I'm on the fence about. I can handle an 18-41-59 down season at $1.3M, but at $5.3M? No frigging way. He's got to be a 75-point player at $5.3M, or he's got to be gone.

You can say who needs to go and who doesn't, but Pomminstein for example, is going nowhere. His contract is huge and nobody will touch it. The poll should say who should be gone, realistically, not who we want gone. I tried to vote with whom I thought could be dealt and/or left off the roster, as opposed to dumping guys we can't dump even if we wanted to (see Max this year)

You can say who needs to go and who doesn't, but Pomminstein for example, is going nowhere. His contract is huge and nobody will touch it. The poll should say who should be gone, realistically, not who we want gone. I tried to vote with whom I thought could be dealt and/or left off the roster, as opposed to dumping guys we can't dump even if we wanted to (see Max this year)

I answered the question as asked, and even qualified my inclusion of Pominville. I think it's naive to believe that nobody would be interested in a 26-year-old winger who scored 34 goals two years ago and had 27 last year, plays the PP and PK, and averages over 20 minutes a game. It would probably require the Sabres taking on some salary in return, but I don't think he's stuck here. We're much more stuck with a guy like Hecht.

Realistically what will Darcy do? The UFA's(Teppo, Max, Spacek, Ellis, Moore & Peters) will be gone and replaced by guys on the farm. Mancari, Kennedy, Gerbe & Weber. Anything more than this will be a surprise knowing how much DR is in love with the team he has built.

I answered the question as asked, and even qualified my inclusion of Pominville. I think it's naive to believe that nobody would be interested in a 26-year-old winger who scored 34 goals two years ago and had 27 last year, plays the PP and PK, and averages over 20 minutes a game. It would probably require the Sabres taking on some salary in return, but I don't think he's stuck here. We're much more stuck with a guy like Hecht.

I agree and don't for a minute think that a guy like Pominville will not regain his scoring touch and have a long NHL career. See Ray Sheppard.

My list of people staying is alot shorter than those who should be packing their bags so here goes:

Stay:

Roy, Vanek, Pominville and Kaleta on Offense

Sekera and Butler on Defense

The rest of the players and coaching staff can take a hike.

The list of free agents is long it should be fun putting together a team:

http://tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=...s=headlines_nhl

Do Not want back

Pominville, do like his play or attitude

Regier, the cause of the mess

Ellis

MacArthur

Paesch

Teppo

Mair

Peters

Paille - maybe give him another yr. its a toss up

Other:

Add a grade A center

Need another defenceman replaced with an IRONMAN. If Spacek (he is getting slower) leaves then this would be the replacement.

Reduce Max's salary

November 28, 2008

4-3 Buffalo over Pittsburgh.

Gaustad has the go-ahead and another go-ahead for the win.

He seperates himself from Pommer and Hecht by playing a significantly more consistant game.

I guess I don't see what there is to dislike about him, as compared to others on this squad that have really let me down.

Good reply.. I agree with some of your comments too.

However, thats only one game that he played like the player we need him to be.

You mentioned consistency....and I agree he is consistent, but more so in a negative way in terms of not living up to expectation, and not playing the physical game that got him here. To me, thats the same as paying pommer a ton of money for playing like a 30 goal scorer who is now playing like Juri Sjeba. Its inconsistent.

Archived