CLEVELAND AREA DIRECTV

BuffalOhio

Anyone in the Cleveland area using DirecTV? I'd like you to do a test for me.

Please go into your system settings on your receiver, and tell me what signal strength you get on satellite 103, transponder 21.

I'm looking for over 60 signal strength please.

Thank you!

Anyone in the Cleveland area using DirecTV? I'd like you to do a test for me.

Please go into your system settings on your receiver, and tell me what signal strength you get on satellite 103, transponder 21.

I'm looking for over 60 signal strength please.

Thank you!

Wish I had seen this before I left for work. If you still need this checked later let me know - I'll be back home around 945/1000 tonight.

I'm sorry BuffalOhio...we checked ours and could only scroll up to satelite 101. Maybe cuz we are not HD? I hope Wolfie can help you.

Yeah, looks like I got the same thing - 101 is the highest I can go. No HD here either. FWIW, our transponder 21 at 101 is registering an 84.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure Cleveland-area DirecTV subscribers should have the same signal strength as subscribers pretty much anywhere else, absent freakish weather patterns or alien invasion.

Some of the signal strength might be sapped by the presence of the Browns.

Yeah, looks like I got the same thing - 101 is the highest I can go. No HD here either. FWIW, our transponder 21 at 101 is registering an 84.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

You should be able to press the + and keep scrolling, it goes to 101, then to 99, then goes back up again. Please try again Wolfie.

Trying to see if Cleveland is in the same spot beam as Buffalo.

You should be able to press the + and keep scrolling, it goes to 101, then to 99, then goes back up again. Please try again Wolfie.

Trying to see if Cleveland is in the same spot beam as Buffalo.

Tried a couple different times - won't scroll past 101.

Hmm, someone looking to tell DirecTV that they "moved" to Buffalo? :) You're likely out of luck... the KA spot beam signals that DirecTV is sending are narrower than the traditional KU signal, and are very difficult to get out in fringe areas. You can forget about getting a signal all the way in Cleveland (though if you're as far up as say Ashtabula you might be OK).

You have other options though. If you're primarially interested in the NHL, might I suggest zip code 12540? You'd get the Sabres, Rangers, Devils, and Islanders all in-the-clear, and in HD. You'd also the the NYC locals in HD (only on channels 390-398 though)... and you'd never have to hear a Fucillo ad! You can also pull in your locals on an OTA antenna, and use an HR-20 or AM-21 to add them to your HD receiver.

Use this form to try out the many combinations: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/conte...ssetId=P3000004

Not that I'm advocating this behavior....

Hmm, someone looking to tell DirecTV that they "moved" to Buffalo? :) You're likely out of luck... the KA spot beam signals that DirecTV is sending are narrower than the traditional KU signal, and are very difficult to get out in fringe areas. You can forget about getting a signal all the way in Cleveland (though if you're as far up as say Ashtabula you might be OK).

You have other options though. If you're primarially interested in the NHL, might I suggest zip code 12540? You'd get the Sabres, Rangers, Devils, and Islanders all in-the-clear, and in HD. You'd also the the NYC locals in HD (only on channels 390-398 though)... and you'd never have to hear a Fucillo ad! You can also pull in your locals on an OTA antenna, and use an HR-20 or AM-21 to add them to your HD receiver.

Use this form to try out the many combinations: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/conte...ssetId=P3000004

Not that I'm advocating this behavior....

Good info. Thank you. Understood.

So I've been paying for Center Ice. Could it be as easy as changing my zip code on the set up?

Nah...nothing is that easy...right?

Yes, you'd get 638 and 638-1 as part of the RSN, but then you'd lose locals, because you wouldn't be able to get Buffalo locals, which also means you wouldn't be able to watch Bills games, even with the Sunday Ticket.

I've thought about many ways to do this, but there doesn't appear to be any way around it.

Well, you could move to the zipcode listed above, then get Sunday ticket, which would appear to solve everything, but you're only getting out of Center Ice, and it's only 160/yr.

I was trying to get out of BOTH, but it's not possible.

SLINGBOX-HD to the rescue!

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, Center Ice is a bargain. I would pay at least that to take my family of four to one game...

I don't have to worry about Sunday Ticket (psst...I became a Browns Fan...ugh...while at Kent State) but I wish you well and Good Luck in your endeavors. When I moved from Buffalo 25 years ago none of these options were available! No Center Ice, Sunday Ticket, no Internet or satellite radio, no slingbox, and when I used Ma Bell to call the family back home it cost me a pretty penny.

Although when I lived in Bellville (South of Mansfield) during the Rigas era, we had Adelphia Cable. Believe it or not...on our local info channel #2, they broadcast all Sabres home games. In our tiny little town in Ohio. Couldn't believe my luck! Then the Rigas family went to hell and Time Warner came to town and that was the end of that.

When I moved from Buffalo 25 years ago none of these options were available! No Center Ice, Sunday Ticket, no Internet or satellite radio, no slingbox, and when I used Ma Bell to call the family back home it cost me a pretty penny.

I hear ya...during the 1988 season, when the Bills were on a serious roll, I use to drive around DC just to pick up the game on WHAM!

Archived