Player Notes

Lethbridge Broncos

Rivet

Old warrior. Guy was targeted by Randy Caryle all game long. When the Sabres used to play the Bruins in the early 1980s, they would target Bourque (use dump and chase tactics) in the same manner. They would dump the puck to his side and drill him on every shift. Then they tried to get under his skin and get him into the penalty box. Craig ain?t Ray Bourque, but he/was treated the same way in Anaheim ? as he was the only guy who could handle the Ducks forecheck.

Gragnani

This guy is calm and focused out there. He gets out of any trouble b/k he has quick hands and fine instincts. Very cerebral, has all the tools. Good frame and will hit. This guy is a future defender on the team. Looking good.

Butler

Looks like he has played in the league for 4 or 5 seasons. I?m afraid that he will get tired soon as he have never played this many games in a row. He has been on the ice A TON. As a college player, his season was much easier. With 1/3 to go ? Ruff needs to monitor this.

Paille

Not doing enough to merit / warrant a spot on the ice. He is a safe player who looks good in the uniform ? nice resume. I would rather have a rugged grinder winger in there who can track guys down and smash them. Paille skates in circles to much.

Peters

Played his best game of the season in Anaheim. But his time is done. They need a quick hitter in his spot. Someone who can advance the puck into the zone, track it down and punish defenders. The big offensive guys had NO room to skate in Anaheim. The Ducks stood them up at the blue line and they could not penetrate. The 3rd and 4th line guys have to break that defense down and chip away and create some room. Peters doesn?t have that skill. A dasher player who mucks it up on the wall ? with great size is needed. See Mike Griere for reference

Vanek

He was TERRIBLE in Anaheim. He needs to get a little dirty out there. The playoffs will be like the Ducks game. Ie., the gusy are tired, there is no ice room, there is NO CHERRY PICKING goals laying around. He needs to get frisky and stick his nose into people.

Weber

Great hitter and physical presence. Mean bastard. But he looked terrible. He made about 5 terrible passes; 3 give aways and kept going behind the net trying to outrace quicker Duck forwards. This kid is 21 years old?but he needs 2 more years in Rochester. His raw skills are not evident ? I don?t know how he was a 2nd rounder. He has 5th rounder skill. His size is apparent. He needs some work ? he makes Nathan Paetch look like Bobby Orr.

FIXES

This club needs to TWO large vet wingers to play on the 3rd and 4th lines. They need a faceoff guy ? out of the two. I would like to see Bill Guerin and/or Trent Hunter come to Buffalo. For Hunter, I would give up a 3rd rounder and any one of the Rochester kids -- except Gerbe, Kennedy and the Swedish goalie. Dylan Hunter is gone at the deadline. His contract is up ? he will make a nice sweetener.

Hunter would be hard to get from the NYI -- as he did just sign a 5 yr extension. But it could be done with the right mix. GMs will move a guy like him, even though he is under contract for such a duration, b/k he is a former 6th rounder (150 pick in the draft), was drafted by another team, and is 28 yrs old. The Islanders are idiots as well -- and Darcy has some good relations there -- as he was in their front office for some time. The Islanders have to rebuild.

Hunter is a force IMO. The deal I would offer, and to indemnify Connolly, would be:

Comrie & Hunter

for:

Tyler Ennis

Dylan Hunter

3nd rounder 2009

4th rounder 2010

I would then try to trade for Guerin and offer: Michael Funk and a 3rd rounder in 2010.

Then let the three of these guys play together. Dreams...

Hunter would be hard to get from the NYI -- as he did just sign a 5 yr extension. But it could be done with the right mix. GMs will move a guy like him, even though he is under contract for such a duration, b/k he is a former 6th rounder (150 pick in the draft), was drafted by another team, and is 28 yrs old. The Islanders are idiots as well -- and Darcy has some good relations there -- as he was in their front office for some time. The Islanders have to rebuild.

Hunter is a force IMO. The deal I would offer, and to indemnify Connolly, would be:

Comrie & Hunter

for:

Tyler Ennis

Dylan Hunter

3nd rounder 2009

4th rounder 2010

I would then try to trade for Guerin and offer: Michael Funk and a 3rd rounder in 2010.

Then let the three of these guys play together. Dreams...

When Al Arbour and Bill Torrey were there.....

You never know what Garth Snow is going to do. One for thing for sure, there will be a fire sale on the Island. Guys like Comrie, Richard Park, Guerin and Sillinger (if he was healthy) are all leaving. The Capitals followed Buffalo's blueprint on how to build a team. They stock pilled draft picks after unloading all their leftovers (6-8 years ago -- got rid of Jagr, et al). Other teams took notice (Atlanta) and I expect the Islanders to go young in 2009-2010. Regier should scoop up some of these guys. In the playoff series a few years ago, the Teddy Nolan team, a few of these guys on that roster played their hearts out. Trent Hunter is the prize. He is a solid, solid winger on any team.

When Al Arbour and Bill Torrey were there.....

Archived