The ice at Rexall Center

bottlecap

The Sabres are a team designed for fast ice and Rexall Place has the best ice in the

league. It seemed like the smoothness of the ice contributed to the win. There

was none of the &)(*3#@ bounces and little quirks we see at HSBC or in Calgary

for that matter.

Why can't we get great ice to compliment the fast skating style of this team? Edmonton isn't a big

budget team and they can afford it. All we have is that stupid guy in the basement they

say who controls everything himself. He sucks and I'm sick of watching poor Buffalo crying

about the bad bounces in its own rink.

The question of why some facilities have great ice and why some have poor ice is something I've never really seen investigated by the league, or at least not explained in an acceptable manner. Maybe it's building construction, maybe it's the crews, maybe the local water - or possible some combination of all three? I don't know anything about the ice-making business (outside of pouring water in the trays and sticking them in the freezer) so I can't even speculate as to why Edmonton is so much better than everyone else and why the Sabres seem to have crappy ice more frequently than you'd expect.

I am guessing that the ice is so good at a place like Rexall Place in comparison to US arenas in that they don't have the same amount of multi-purpose usage. For example, HSBC has to host Bandit games, Monster Truck rallys, basketball games and concerts. Alot of other US arenas have NBA teams as co-tenants (e.g., NYR, Boston), so the ice is being constantly being covered and uncovered.

While they do have concerts and events at Rexall, the Oilers are the main tenant so the ice is well cared for. And let's face it -- it's alot colder there in the winter so it can't be harder for them to keep a nice sheet of ice in the building.

Or I'm just talking out of my ass and don't have a clue. :unsure:

I was talking with my brother during the Edmonton game about the same thing. And, there was an article awhile back about it and it does have something to do with building usage and environmental conditions. In addition to what RR said, humidity is also one of the many factors that go into the quality of the ice. If I can find that article sometime I'll post it.

Article from SJ Exploritorium

Side note: I saw the human body thing there where they had all the human bodies cut up and stuff and on display. Fascinating yet a little gross at the same time.

I am guessing that the ice is so good at a place like Rexall Place in comparison to US arenas in that they don't have the same amount of multi-purpose usage. For example, HSBC has to host Bandit games, Monster Truck rallys, basketball games and concerts. Alot of other US arenas have NBA teams as co-tenants (e.g., NYR, Boston), so the ice is being constantly being covered and uncovered.

While they do have concerts and events at Rexall, the Oilers are the main tenant so the ice is well cared for. And let's face it -- it's alot colder there in the winter so it can't be harder for them to keep a nice sheet of ice in the building.

Or I'm just talking out of my ass and don't have a clue. :unsure:

No...you're pretty much spot on. You should see what a week of the freakin' circus does to the ice.

I think the biggest reason that we saw the Sabres flying is that the Oilers try to play run and gun, also, which plays right into the Sabres' hands.

I agree. While it would be nice if all the NHL rinks had ice as good as Edmonton, I don't believe it would lead to the Sabres becoming a scoring juggernaut.

I guarantee that NJ could still put everyone to sleep regardless of ice conditions.

Archived