[OT] Favorite Beer?

Guest Sloth

That is way overpriced for drinking swill..

There's a bar in Old Town Philly (Lucy's Hat Shop, possibly) that has GCA cans on the beer menu for, I kid you not, $5.50/CAN (yes, can, not case). For reference, Newcastle was $5/bottle. Hipsters are stupid.

I can't believe that I am actually saying this, but I found a beer from one of the US mass producers that I actually ... like. I was in Beers of the World picking up a selection of German Dunkelweizens and I decided to look around. I happened by the end of an aisle with Anheuser-Busch InBev products when something caught my eye: Michelob Dunkel Weisse. I knew it would be bad -- it has to be, right? -- but curiosity got the better of be, so I picked one up. Imagine my surprise upon drinking it to find that it was pretty good; not great, mind you, but considering its much lower price than its German counterparts, not a bad effort at all. Not what I would call typical of AB products. Crazy, I know.

Edit: As with all Dunkelweizens, I stored this in the basement, not the fridge. However, given the time of year, the basement was a little colder than desired and this did, in fact, get better as it warmed up. All-in-all, pretty good for less than half the price of what I normally drink.

I can't believe that I am actually saying this, but I found a beer from one of the US mass producers that I actually ... like. I was in Beers of the World picking up a selection of German Dunkelweizens and I decided to look around. I happened by the end of an aisle with Anheuser-Busch InBev products when something caught my eye: Michelob Dunkel Weisse. I knew it would be bad -- it has to be, right? -- but curiosity got the better of be, so I picked one up. Imagine my surprise upon drinking it to find that it was pretty good; not great, mind you, but considering its much lower price than its German counterparts, not a bad effort at all. Not what I would call typical of AB products. Crazy, I know.

I guess it's a benefit to the customer that AB is now owned by a European company.

I guess it's a benefit to the customer that AB is now owned by a European company.

Yes, InBev could be very good for AB. I really was impressed, especially when it got warm enough ("cellar temperature" not my actual cellar's temperature.) If you like that style, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Archived