Where would the Sabes Be now if they had kept the team from 05-06

stenbaro

That would have helped. I would rather have those 3 then have resigned Hecht, Max, and/or Kotalik. If the Sabres and that idiot Regier had been more proactive with their contract negotiations, we may have been able to avoid the Vanek contract fiasco, not to mention Black Sunday when we lost both captains without much effort in retaining them. The Sabres will never advance past mediocrity until Regier is ousted.

I agree.

Since we are living in the past can we change a few draft picks?

Mike Green instead of Drew Stafford

Paul Stastny instead of Marek Zagrapan

Milan Lucic instead of Dennis Persson

You can mock the concept, but there is a lot to learn and understand from the past. You are one of those that preach it was a master plan and there was no choice but to tear apart the team for the better. Some of us understand that it didn't have to be that way and we are still waiting for the " for the better part" to kick in.

You can mock the concept, but there is a lot to learn and understand from the past. You are one of those that preach it was a master plan and there was no choice but to tear apart the team for the better. Some of us understand that it didn't have to be that way and we are still waiting for the " for the better part" to kick in.

I agree..I believe there are those here that utilize the stick your head in the sand theory and hope it goes away...The more this season goes on the more those mistakes grow larger and larger...Until they fix them they wont make the playoffs...

That would have helped. I would rather have those 3 then have resigned Hecht, Max, and/or Kotalik. If the Sabres and that idiot Regier had been more proactive with their contract negotiations, we may have been able to avoid the Vanek contract fiasco, not to mention Black Sunday when we lost both captains without much effort in retaining them. The Sabres will never advance past mediocrity until Regier is ousted.

Darcy doesn't sign the checks. All he can do is negotiate deals, which is what he did with Drury, and then the guy who does sign the checks pulled the rug out. I'd also guess that Darcy was ready to pay Soupy the amount necessary to get him signed in the summer of 2007, but the check-signer wasn't ready for that number until February of 2008, when it was too late.

It's also worth remembering that Darcy has presided over 4 final 4 teams, which is very strong.

Now, having said that, Darcy clearly has missed the boat on a few of his decisions, most notably Tallinder, Max and Connolly (and hopefully NOT Hecht, Pommer and Miller, although their play this year has been pretty shaky). As TW and others have pointed out, on a team with a limited budget, the impact of big-dollar mistakes is magnified.

Right on.

Archived