The Bills And Sabres Look All Too Familiar

CallawaySabres

Well, I guess there should be no real surprise to either collapses in these organizations. They are really quite similar if you think about it. Neither one of these teams have come close over the past few years to addressing the REAL problems within them. The Sabres still have absolutely no leadership and toughness to their team and will continue to struggle until that is inserted. The Bills still have brutal lines which they have tried to fix but have whiffed big time.

Due to the glaring weaknesses on both teams, the only way either had a shot of succeeding was if their respective super stars played lights out. Edwards was doing that in the beginning in order to hide the other faults on the team and when he started sinking, so did the team. On the Sabres side, Miller was holding the goals against to around 2 and once that stopped, all of their faults were clear as day once again.

Both of these teams can look into the mirror and you know what they see???? A big number 2007 staring right back at them. Nothing has changed!! At least the Sabres have some hope as they have proper coaching behind the bench. As for the Bills, that team is dead in the water until new ownership takes over (hopefully while still in Buffalo). Jauron was a loser, is a loser and always will be a loser. And you know what, I don't think he is a nice guy...he is a loser.

On the Sabres side, Miller was holding the goals against to around 2 and once that stopped, all of their faults were clear as day once again.

With one or two exception (e.g., against NJ), their low goals against average at the start of the season had far more to do with defensive responsibility by their forwards and, of course, their defensemen, than it had to do with Miller. They made Miller's (and Lalime's) job much easier by clogging up the middle, forcing the opportunities to the outside. Miller and Lalime had to play just well enough and they would win. Now, they are hanging both goaltenders out to dry. When Miller has one of his great games, they can squeak out a 4-3 win and when he doesn't, they lose by 3-5 goals. Miller is not Hasek or even Brodeur. He is a very good goaltender that sometimes plays to the level of those two (as they sometimes played down to his normal level or worse) and sometimes stinks up the joint. With a responsible defense - something he hadn't had before the start of this season - he is good enough for the team to win most games. Without it, he might steal a game or two, but we will be in trouble for the season. The weird thing is that we went from the best defense that I've seen the Sabres play to even worse defense than we've had over the past two years. If we even got back to the previous level, we'd make the playoffs. If they keep playing like this, the only thing they'll give themselves a shot at is Tavares.

With one or two exception (e.g., against NJ), their low goals against average at the start of the season had far more to do with defensive responsibility by their forwards and, of course, their defensemen, than it had to do with Miller. They made Miller's (and Lalime's) job much easier by clogging up the middle, forcing the opportunities to the outside. Miller and Lalime had to play just well enough and they would win. Now, they are hanging both goaltenders out to dry. When Miller has one of his great games, they can squeak out a 4-3 win and when he doesn't, they lose by 3-5 goals. Miller is not Hasek or even Brodeur. He is a very good goaltender that sometimes plays to the level of those two (as they sometimes played down to his normal level or worse) and sometimes stinks up the joint. With a responsible defense - something he hadn't had before the start of this season - he is good enough for the team to win most games. Without it, he might steal a game or two, but we will be in trouble for the season. The weird thing is that we went from the best defense that I've seen the Sabres play to even worse defense than we've had over the past two years. If we even got back to the previous level, we'd make the playoffs. If they keep playing like this, the only thing they'll give themselves a shot at is Tavares.

I agree with the defensive thoughts which is why the only way they will win is if Miller is Lights Out....

I have no idea what has happened the last month, but it's getting very ugly in WNY. Is there something in the water?

Are both GMs to blame?

I haven't been this down about Buffalo sports since the lockout. Both teams had great starts, but both teams have played terrible ever since. I just want one team to do well...just one. Being a Buffalo sports fan is so difficult. I know there are a few other cities that have this problem, but a few of those cities have won at least one championship. It's just so tough to love Buffalo sports, but it's even more tough to let it all go.

No toughness on either side of the ball and at either end of the rink.

Something else crossed my mind about the Sabres (please forgive me if this has already been posted): it amazes me the amount of time our "core" of players have been together, yet, they seem to have trouble gelling. They just can't seem to get it together and work as a team. Too much individuality.

Last night was the first time in I don't even know how many years that I was in front of a tv and CHOSE not to put myself through another night of being pissed off. There was something about the Monday Nighter that just absolutley killed me. I have seen hundreds of games that were far more important but it was that night, THAT NIGHT that acted as the straw that broke my back. I think that it was the fact that I knew they will never be good until a real coach is in place.

I am 38 so it is not as though I have not been tortured in the past. It usually takes 48 hours to rebound after a bad loss but this time is different. I usually look forward to watching the Sabres to take the edge off and I knew if I had watched last night, I would go right back to where I was on the drive back from the Stadium on Monday. Something is off this time...something is very off. It sucks but i just think this season is going to be horrible for both teams.

This is all like a bad nightmare that you can't wake up from.

After suffering through the humiliating Super Bowl defeats, getting screwed by bad calls on the ice and the field, and the incredible breaks that go against us, I never felt more like crying than I did after Lindell missed the kick on Monday night....it was pretty much a culmination of all the bad sh*t we've dealt with over the years.

Both teams have time left in the season to right the ship (more so for the Sabres, though), but after the way things had started this year, it's getting more & more difficult to take.

This is all like a bad nightmare that you can't wake up from.

After suffering through the humiliating Super Bowl defeats, getting screwed by bad calls on the ice and the field, and the incredible breaks that go against us, I never felt more like crying than I did after Lindell missed the kick on Monday night....it was pretty much a culmination of all the bad sh*t we've dealt with over the years.

Both teams have time left in the season to right the ship (more so for the Sabres, though), but after the way things had started this year, it's getting more & more difficult to take.

I can't believe you actually mentioned the crying thing....For some reason, that miss was the closest I have ever been to tears due to a sporting event. You hit the nail on the head for me regarding the years of failure finally coming to a head. That was why it was so weird because I have seen so many more devastating losses. Damn, good to hear somebody in the same boat!!!!

I can't believe you actually mentioned the crying thing....For some reason, that miss was the closest I have ever been to tears due to a sporting event. You hit the nail on the head for me regarding the years of failure finally coming to a head. That was why it was so weird because I have seen so many more devastating losses. Damn, good to hear somebody in the same boat!!!!

I'll happily admit when I lose it or almost lose it. :blush:

It's come to a head for me this year because the Bills started out so well (albeit against worse teams) and we all had visions of playing past Week 17 for the first time in...like...forever.

I have no idea what has happened the last month, but it's getting very ugly in WNY. Is there something in the water?

Are both GMs to blame?

I don't think so. At least Bills are not afraid to make some changes. They are willing to go after players to fill holes (Stroud, Mitchell, Dockery, Walker). Darcy Regier is not. The team has been getting worse since the 2005-2006 season and will continue to do so if we stick with soft players who lack guts. The Bills need to bring in a coach that has the ability to change the culture of the Buffalo Bills. Granted Parcells is not coaching, but look at the difference from last years Dolphins to this years Dolphins. We need some of that in both organizations.

I don't think so. At least Bills are not afraid to make some changes. They are willing to go after players to fill holes (Stroud, Mitchell, Dockery, Walker). Darcy Regier is not. The team has been getting worse since the 2005-2006 season and will continue to do so if we stick with soft players who lack guts. The Bills need to bring in a coach that has the ability to change the culture of the Buffalo Bills. Granted Parcells is not coaching, but look at the difference from last years Dolphins to this years Dolphins. We need some of that in both organizations.

A big Amen brother!!! :thumbsup:

Archived