[OT] Anyone see LeBron's dunk last night?

Claude Balls

Certain aspects of sports I just don't get.. Basketball players dunking balls is one of them... When just about every basketball player is tall enough to dunk a basketball, it's time to raise the net. Exactly what is sporting about dunking? The NBA is all about show.. I have no use for it...

they don't need to raise the net but they need to devalue the dunks. If they made any basket where a players hand goes over the rim or touches the rim worth only one point that would be the end of dunking for the most part in the NBA. However, the NBA would never do this as on a breakaway fans want to see a cool dunk not a layup. A rule like this would greatly increase the perimeter play and would add value to the skill players in the sport. The dunk is one major reason I can't watch the NBA but enjoy watching college ball.

If the artificial 23 wants to be mentioned in the same breath as MJ, he needs to score from the perimeter and become consistent with it, the 3 is key.

They are different players in different positions, but statistically LBJ is rightfully compared to MJ.

Jordan shot .327 for his career beyond the arc. LeBron's 3-pt percentage is .322. Statistically insignificant difference.

MJ's career FG pct - .497; LBJ .467. MJ is a little better here.

Bron does a better job of getting crappier teammates involved in the scoring - averaging 6.6 assists per game, while MJ averaged 5.3.

Didn't they also move the three point line back farther since MJ played? I know either the NBA or NCAA was planning on moving it back.

I'm looking for confirmation, but I found this at Wiki answers:

LINK

The NBA introduced the three point line in the 1979-80 season at a length of 23'9" from the top of the key to a length of 22 feet in the corners. In the 1994-95 season, the NBA changed things so the three point line was a uniform 22 feet from the basket. The distance was reverted to 23'9" in the 1997-98 season and has been there ever since. The 19'9" distance is the distance of the college basketball three point line, which will be changed to 20'9" for the 2008-09 season. The NBA three point line has never been set at 19'9".

I'm looking for confirmation, but I found this at Wiki answers:

LINK

The NBA introduced the three point line in the 1979-80 season at a length of 23'9" from the top of the key to a length of 22 feet in the corners. In the 1994-95 season, the NBA changed things so the three point line was a uniform 22 feet from the basket. The distance was reverted to 23'9" in the 1997-98 season and has been there ever since. The 19'9" distance is the distance of the college basketball three point line, which will be changed to 20'9" for the 2008-09 season. The NBA three point line has never been set at 19'9".

I knew someone was changing it. Boy Syracuse couldn't hit the net from 19'9". What the hell are they gonna do now with it a foot farther away.

I used to think no one could be better than Michael Jordan, but Lebron is showing he can be. Lebron has a long wa to go, but remember, MJ didn't become the greatest until he had a supporting cast. When James has that, look out. I hope he gets the supporting cast VERY soon.

Someone I knew in grade school, Jim Paxson, got fired a few years ago from the Cleveland GM job because he failed to get Lebron a good enough supporting cast.

One of the main reasons I enjoy watching the NBA is the remarkable athletic ability of some of the star players.

If you want to see some spectacular dunks, just search youtube for "Kobe ally oop".

Archived