Pierre LeBrun NHL Chat on ESPN

Drulloch

Managed to get a question answered during an ESPN NHL chat today. Didn't exactly answer my exact question but I suppose it's food for thought.....

--------------------

Chris (Syracuse, NY): I'm a Sabres fan dying to see my team come back to the pack and compete - do you think the promotion of recently acquired Craig Rivet to Captain will solidify their place in the playoffs?

SportsNation Pierre LeBrun: I think it was a wise decision to name a permanent captain. They've had a rotating one for five years and I'm not a big fan of that. Some of the players in that dressing room were tired of it too. This is a decision that would appease their dressing room, which was a factor in the decision yesterday.

--------------------

So is naming a perm. captain going to be 'solidifying' enough (for a lack of a better term) to help the team into the playoffs?

This post isn't really on topic, but i do gotta say, i'm very happy ESPN has hired LeBrun. He's one of the best hockey minds. He's almost almost right when he talks about players. ESPN wasn't too popular with hockey with idiots like Bucci and Melrose, but now they are getting LeBrun, Hradek, Barnaby and Burnside. They even send Burnside and LeBrun to europe to cover the first 2 games. ESPN is making steps, baby steps, but i do think we'll see much more coverage from espn this year. LeBrun couldn't have been a cheap hiring.

This post isn't really on topic, but i do gotta say, i'm very happy ESPN has hired LeBrun. He's one of the best hockey minds. He's almost almost right when he talks about players. ESPN wasn't too popular with hockey with idiots like Bucci and Melrose, but now they are getting LeBrun, Hradek, Barnaby and Burnside. They even send Burnside and LeBrun to europe to cover the first 2 games. ESPN is making steps, baby steps, but i do think we'll see much more coverage from espn this year. LeBrun couldn't have been a cheap hiring.

I have no problems whatsoever with Buccigross. He was one of the few personalities at ESPN who actually legitimately cares about hockey and the NHL AND has a clue what he is talking about. I'll be the first to admit I rarely follow his musical analogies, but other than that his analysis is usually pretty solid and not the usual vapid, superficial analysis other national media types give most teams.

Archived