[OT] NHL 09

Campy

About to play my second game in "Be A Pro" or whatever they're calling it. You start off in the American League and are given goals based upon position and type. I played D as a kid so that's what I chose - regrettably the only choices for D are offensive (which I chose) and defensive styles, nothing in the middle like "all-around." My goal is to land 14 helpers - but I don't know if that means I have all season to achieve it or not. We'll see.

It is a blast - I was really sucking, had a 2 goal deficit, and landed my first helper on a Kaleta goal. Zags had 2 making it 3-2 with Portland up, and someone ("I" was on the bench at the time and didn't see who) scored an empty netter winning 4-2.

About the gameplay:

While announcers Bill Clement (of Olympic table tennis fame) and Gary Thorne do their usual yeoman's work in this outing, Thorne's mispronunciation of Dennis' name grated my nerves. (Says it like 'tennis', not 'den-NEE')

You start out in Be a Pro with XP you can assign. Being an offensive D, my offensive skills cost less XP than D and Team Play. You are graded based upon your play - being in position, scoring, PIMs, etc - and XP is awarded based upon your performance. There are arrows/indicators to help you in your positioning. Having played D before, I can say that it's accurate, but there are times when you'll deviate from it intentionally.

The stick lift seems to work pretty well but will take some getting used to.

The camera can swing about, no longer just up-or-down-ice action, it's 360*, and it can sometimes be disorienting. Perhaps after my next game I'll have grown more used to it. It's just one of those things that can catch you bit off-guard at first.

Replays and close-ups have some frame rate issues - but overall there is a more polished look IMO.

I chose to ride the pine but you can choose to lock onto any player playing "your" position if you'd like. Sitting on the bench watching the action between your shift is kinda cool. On xbox, hitting 'X' calls for a change, but it all 5 skaters changed at once. I'd like to do a D-only change sometimes but so far it seems that you can't.

The AHL players are not nearly as good as in '08, or at least not in this mode. I'm guessing this will change when/if Soupy #2 gets called up eventually.

One of the coolest ideas is to have a bunch of guys in Be A Pro mode online taking on other players - maybe there are enough gamers here to dress a team and take on all comers?

Despite what seems like a laundry list of complaints above, those are nits being pic'd. I'm very pleased with it so far and it is a must-buy for hockey fan gamers.

Well, I gotta' go dress for my next game, we're hosting the #%^ Marlies, but let me know your take on '09 below.

The game came out today? I thought it comes out tomorrow?

Last week when I reserved/pre-purchased it, the young lady told me it would be in stores today - but that I'd have to wait until after lunchtime for the UPS delivery. I was there about 2pm and picked it up without incident, but they were already sold out for those who didn't reserve it.

is there for all systems including ps3 and xbox360? I don't think I have to worry around where I live that they'll sell out. Most people don't even know it's a sport around here.

Edit: Yup, it did come out today. My gamestop still has a bunch of them sitting around.

My copy is sitting on the desk next to me, waiting until I get to call it a day.

You mentioned the camera swinging around. From what I've read, that is specific to the Be a Pro mode. I guess I'll find out in about 2 hours.

You can play with the camera fixed in Be A Pro mode as well, it just defaults to the "Action" camera.

I use the standard "Overhead" in Be A Pro.

Quick question -

1. Where is Teppo Numminen?

2. Where is Jhonas Enroth?

I got Gogulla and Persson but no Teppo or Enroth. What gives?

Go online and try to play a game. You'll have to download the latest roster update. You don't actually have to play a game, but that's how you get the rosters. Enroth isn't in it though. I don't think Gogulla or Persson are either. None of the recent college signings (Kennedy, Butler, Gerbe, Whitmore, Kostka...) are on it either.

Go online and try to play a game. You'll have to download the latest roster update. You don't actually have to play a game, but that's how you get the rosters. Enroth isn't in it though. I don't think Gogulla or Persson are either. None of the recent college signings (Kennedy, Butler, Gerbe, Whitmore, Kostka...) are on it either.

I'm guessing the Swedish guys are there because the game has playable SEL teams. Our young guys aren't in the game because they haven't played in the NHL yet, so my best guess is their not fully part of the NHLPA which is where the rosters are from.

I got Persson and Gogulla via their European teams. Enroth isn't listed on his old Swedish club or AHL/NHL. Weird. lol

Is it just me, or does Dennis suck hardcore in this game?

lol in the game? He sucks in real life too, bro. :bag:

But, Kaleta is a scoring machine and Zags is playing great. After 6 games in AHL, Kaleta leads the league in goals with 6 and Zagrapan is among the leaders in points with 7 (3+4).

But, Kaleta is a scoring machine and Zags is playing great. After 6 games in AHL, Kaleta leads the league in goals with 6 and Zagrapan is among the leaders in points with 7 (3+4).

Hahahaha I never realized he sucked that badly in real life. Maybe I just suck at this game. Gotta keep playing I guess.

Really? I got those two stiffs playing on the first with MacArthur, and the only reason they have points is due to The General lighting it up night after night.

I'm going EA this year fella's! I've been 2k for years, but 2k9 is flat out arcade and I'm not up for that. Plus, I really like the idea of being a pro. A friend of mine as already put together a good team of online hockey gamers. I'll be playing as a winger just like I did when I was a kid. It'll be fun to kind of live the dream!

I'm guessing the Swedish guys are there because the game has playable SEL teams. Our young guys aren't in the game because they haven't played in the NHL yet, so my best guess is their not fully part of the NHLPA which is where the rosters are from.

I bet Stamkos is in the game. I've only played one game so far, against Toronto, so I don't know if he is or not.

they did a roster update last year right after the first week of the season that updated all of the NHL and AHL rosters, and added all of the rooks in that hadn't played yet. I expect it will be the same way again.

Also, looking forward to the edge code that releases all of the Alternate jerseys.

Archived