[OT] Demo Available

ROC Sabres

Those who aren't aware. Demo's for NHL 2K9 and NHL 09 are available for their respective system (2K9 xbox 360, NHL 09 PS3). I don't have a PS3 but I did play the demo for 2K9. From what I was able to play, I liked everything about the game... except the gameplay. It really doesn't seem like 2K is really trying to make the game better other than adding things in between the actual game. Intro, start of game and highlights are great (better than NHL 08) but are you kidding me. It really seems like they took the engine for one of their NCAA football or old NFL 2K games and just chucked it into a game that has more physics requirements than NBA IMHO.

This may be a little biased since I've been a NHL0* player the past two years but I have played the demos for NHL 2k7 and 2k8 and 2k9 doesn't seem to be much different.

Try it out and let me know.

(Demo for the other system of each game are apparently being released at the start or Sept)

I played the NHL 2K9 demo for the 360. If anything it seems worse than last year's game. This year I'll be switching over to the EA Sports game. 2K8 was ok, but I like to play games online and in terms of that the game sucked. Most times you would be lucky if you got thru an entire game, it used to disconnect like crazy....plus there just isn't that many people playing it.

Watched some preview vids for NHL 09 and from that alone it looks like the one to get. One little thing I will miss is the team specific goal horns from the 2K games but that's a small price to pay. NHL 09 has better graphics, smoother gameplay from the way it looks, and I'm not sure about the online play but from the way Madden runs I can't imagine it being bad like 2K8 was

Sorry 2K sports, I'm jumping the bandwagon this time!

GO SABRES!

Those who aren't aware. Demo's for NHL 2K9 and NHL 09 are available for their respective system (2K9 xbox 360, NHL 09 PS3). I don't have a PS3 but I did play the demo for 2K9. From what I was able to play, I liked everything about the game... except the gameplay. It really doesn't seem like 2K is really trying to make the game better other than adding things in between the actual game. Intro, start of game and highlights are great (better than NHL 08) but are you kidding me. It really seems like they took the engine for one of their NCAA football or old NFL 2K games and just chucked it into a game that has more physics requirements than NBA IMHO.

Interesting, because this was the SOP for EA on NCAA Football and Madden for a while - every year they worked on adding new bells and whistles at the expense of gameplay.

And a crap version will again be released on the PC and PS2.

Yeah, the fact they get to use the same name, logo, and front cover for both the PC/PS2 and XBOX 360/PS3 version borders on false advertising.

The PC version is just another "revamped" version of NHL06.

Yeah, the fact they get to use the same name, logo, and front cover for both the PC/PS2 and XBOX 360/PS3 version borders on false advertising.

The PC version is just another "revamped" version of NHL06.

Supposedly, EA is going to perform a complete overhaul for NHL 2010. That sounds like good news, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

which is still better than the 'child like' Xbox360 version...

I've played both, and the PC versions always seem to be more realistic

The only thing childlike about the 360 version is the hitting. The rest of it is pretty much the best representation of real hockey ever created in a video game. If they truly turned down the hitting this year then the game will take a big step forward in terms of realism. Does the PC version still have "speed burst"?

Just returned from vacation.

And saw NHL 09 is available now for download on PS3. Just played 2 games. Awesome game. I love the slower pace, it makes player feel like their more real and they way they look its like a real game on tv. The opponent is much smarter. The defensman takes the puck behind the net after a crazy rush by me for his players to re-set or change lines. I definetly like it better then 2k9.

Does the PC version still have "speed burst"?

Yes.

I have found with the PC version that if you change the "game play" settings, you can improve the realism to a degree. You can turn down hitting power, slow skating, drop acceleration, change pass speed and a few other things to get it closer to real. However, I'm still quite certain that I'd rather have the PS3 version.

How different are the PS3 and XBox360 versions? They are both the newest generation (as compared to the PS2/PC), but beyond that, I don't know.

Yes.

I have found with the PC version that if you change the "game play" settings, you can improve the realism to a degree. You can turn down hitting power, slow skating, drop acceleration, change pass speed and a few other things to get it closer to real. However, I'm still quite certain that I'd rather have the PS3 version.

How different are the PS3 and XBox360 versions? They are both the newest generation (as compared to the PS2/PC), but beyond that, I don't know.

I'm pretty sure the X360 and PS3 versions are identical in terms of gameplay and features, however there might be a difference in performance.

NHL08 was smooth as a baby's bottom on the X360, and quite choppy on the PS3, in comparison.

Probably the result of the coders having less experience with the PS3 hardware, I don't see that happening this year.

With regards to the PC version Vs. the X360 and PS3 versions? Well, if the past two years are any indication, there's absolutely no contest - The PC version is essentially NHL 2005 v1.4 as it's still using the same game engine with all it's quirks and flaws.

which is still better than the 'child like' Xbox360 version...

I've played both, and the PC versions always seem to be more realistic

If that's your take on it, then I dare say you haven't experimented enough with the slider settings in the X360/PS3 versions, but to each his own I guess.

For example, the AI Learning feature alone in the Next Gen version, while not perfect by any means, makes it a more enjoyable experience.

I personally think the Next Gen games are in a league of their own, and judging by the public outcry from several user communities over the PC version being a port from the PS2 version yet again this year, I'm not the only one who thinks so.

But if you're getting good games out of the PC version, then more power to you. I gave up on it after exhausting the slider settings without ever getting an enjoyable game out of either NHL07 and NHL08.

Supposedly, EA is going to perform a complete overhaul for NHL 2010. That sounds like good news, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

EA NHL 08 for PS3 as awesome, I hope your talking about the PC version. Getting rid of the speed burst was the best thing they have ever done.

Archived