Picture from Winter Classic Press Conference...

LabattBlue

Is this for real? That looks absurd. I hope that they give out free binoculars to all in attendance. Wouldn't it make more sense to orient it the other way, as the majority of the fans (on the sides and in the bleachers) would then be able to see side to side action rather than the long way? As it is, the only "center ice" seats would be behind home plate (a mile and a half away) and then some in the bleachers, although not as many due to the batter backdrop and lack of seating out there.

This whole ill-conceived idea is pure NHL. One was great so two would be twice as good (much like the decision to add all the expanion teams in the 90s). You are just not going to match the magic of the first one, and that's not just bias because of the hometown team. It was just about perfect, right down to the falling snow. I foresee disaster for this and any future attempts.

Is this for real? That looks absurd. I hope that they give out free binoculars to all in attendance. Wouldn't it make more sense to orient it the other way, as the majority of the fans (on the sides and in the bleachers) would then be able to see side to side action rather than the long way? As it is, the only "center ice" seats would be behind home plate (a mile and a half away) and then some in the bleachers, although not as many due to the batter backdrop and lack of seating out there.

This whole ill-conceived idea is pure NHL. One was great so two would be twice as good (much like the decision to add all the expanion teams in the 90s). You are just not going to match the magic of the first one, and that's not just bias because of the hometown team. It was just about perfect, right down to the falling snow. I foresee disaster for this and any future attempts.

This is why the game should be held at Soldier Field which would have comparable sight lines to RWS.

"Bettman knows best!" :oops:

Ummmm... this is the 3rd one... not the second :blink:

Ummmm... this is the 3rd one... not the second :blink:

technically, that first game was "the heritage classic", and buffalo's game was the first "winter classic". the game in chicago will officially be the second winter classic. that is, if anyone in that stadium will be able to confirm that a hockey game was played.

this is exactly what I have said all along when they talked about doing it at Yankee stadium and when the rumors started about Wrigley.

Those Baseball stadiums seating do not work for playing a sport thats played on a long rectangular field. the views will be horrible, and the capacity is about half of what they had at RWS. The reason for using Wrigley is that it is a nostalgic field

They are going to really lose the uniqueness of this game if its played every year. Make it every couple years and have it played as the NHL All Star game so it won't effect teams standings in the regular season.

And yes technically its the 3rd outdoor game, but second "winter classic/Ty Conklin extravaganza" (1st was Montreal/Edmonton game that also included an old timers game, then buffalo Pittsburgh, now Chicago Detroit)

This is why the game should be held at Soldier Field which would have comparable sight lines to RWS.

"Bettman knows best!" :oops:

Just wait til you hear the plan for next season, Rumor has it that Bettman is pushing for it will be in Phoenix, he said that he didn't like how cold it was for the last 2 outdoor games and wants to be able to watch the games without a jacket on

Just wait til you hear the plan for next season, Rumor has it that Bettman is pushing for it will be in Phoenix, he said that he didn't like how cold it was for the last 2 outdoor games and wants to be able to watch the games without a jacket on

He's such a tool :censored:

Archived