ES + SH goals this past season...

LabattBlue

I wish we still lived in a time where you could challenge a man to a duet.

As the challenged party would BMWolf then get the choice of instrument or choice of song? I am a little vague on the rules of a duet. :nana:

post-1053-1216402671_thumbgif

Ten paces, then strum!

OK, Wolf ... for the record, when you are right, you are right.

I checked it out, and among the five teams that averaged 3 gpg last season the Sabres were held to 2 or less more than any other team:

Ott=28

Mon=30

Det=25

Buf=37

Car=34

So there is no denying that the offensive numbers were skewed by a handful of big games.

Good post. That is some outstanding research, BTP.

I agree with everything except the bold word. Screw GRACE under pressure ... as far as I am concerned, the last two seasons, even when they were winning, they had too much "grace" and "poise" ... they played passive most of the time and looked to counter-attack, and they lost their edge. Understand, I am not saying they should put together a Ted Sator-type lineup with Maguire and Hartman taking a regular shift and trying to pound people into submission ... I don't even really want them to try to be Anaheim of 2 years ago, they are not built that way and they can't change it over one offseason (nor does it look like they want to). But I do want to see them play with a chip on their shoulder again like they did in 05-06 ... play an aggressive game and don't let the situation paralyze you.

I want more blood-and-guts too. After Drury, the guy we've lost that I'd like most to have back is a healthy McKee (which I realize is a mythical creature), or, failing that, Grier. But I think that given the style this team plays, we need to do two things: show up to play every night, and make the right play during winning time. I think in 2005-06, we did both. In 2006-07, we didn't show up in the 1st period every night, but we showed up for every 3rd period, and we almost always made the right play when it counted. That was grace under pressure. Last year, we did neither. We often didn't show up in the 1st, and we didn't have the mental toughness to come back and play with desperation and determination in the 3rd. And we didn't have guys making the right play at either end of the ice to pull out a win in the 3rd.

Good post. Do the Sabres get a bit of a pass on the "mental toughness" issue? Something very few people have talked about is how drained the team must have been after making back to back trips to the ECF and coming up short. It was 1999-2000 all over again. That's half a season right there that the Sabres played that many other teams did not. I honestly expect this team to come back with a fury and a vengeance this season, physically and mentally rested. I can feel it myself in my posts. I am psyched. Last year was a very draining one for most fans.

Well, alright!!

Archived