[OT] The Aud is coming down in October

LabattBlue

The Aud is scheduled to be demolished beginning in October. What happened to the seat sale/auction and how many seats do you think will end up in the back of contractors trucks who are working on the job?

http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/392831.html

16,433 seats(to be exact :rolleyes: ) were in the Aud. How many do you think will eventually be made available to the public?

The Aud is scheduled to be demolished beginning in October. What happened to the seat sale/auction and how many seats do you think will end up in the back of contractors trucks who are working on the job?

http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/392831.html

16,433 seats(to be exact :rolleyes: ) were in the Aud. How many do you think will eventually be made available to the public?

Well, didn't they say that only the upper seats could be sold because they were the least damaged/mold encrusted

AS for how many get taken away in the back of the workers trucks, that all depends on what type of security they have on the site (couldn't everyone picture someone like everyones favorite Quinn installing security guards at all entrances/exits checking everyone before they leave to make sure they aren't walking away with anything?) or their method of demoliton and if they will even go through the building removing stuff and taking it down in pieces, or just take a wrecking ball to the building with all of its contents still in it and remove it all as rubble after the espestos is removed?

It'd be cool if they could leave a portion of the old concrete entrance in place somehow.

Apus is right--the cushioned seats were not going to be sold due to mold. That'd leave the wooden blues and plastic oranges. I suspect more of the golds and reds will be found in the backs of trucks than will oranges and blues be sold/auctioned.

It'd be cool if they could leave a portion of the old concrete entrance in place somehow.

Apus is right--the cushioned seats were not going to be sold due to mold. That'd leave the wooden blues and plastic oranges. I suspect more of the golds and reds will be found in the backs of trucks than will oranges and blues be sold/auctioned.

I think they said just the oranges would be sold because the blues also had too much water damage to the wood

Well, didn't they say that only the upper seats could be sold because they were the least damaged/mold encrusted

AS for how many get taken away in the back of the workers trucks, that all depends on what type of security they have on the site (couldn't everyone picture someone like everyones favorite Quinn installing security guards at all entrances/exits checking everyone before they leave to make sure they aren't walking away with anything?) or their method of demoliton and if they will even go through the building removing stuff and taking it down in pieces, or just take a wrecking ball to the building with all of its contents still in it and remove it all as rubble after the espestos is removed?

I could see the upholstered seats(lower & upper golds and the reds) being useless with all the water damage, but the lower blues and the oranges were plastic and should be fine. The upper blues were made of wood and were falling apart even when the aud was open. I am not sure if they are of any use in terms of an auction.

Unless my memory is playing games with me again, the lower blues were plastic, upper blues(which were the greys prior to the roof being raised) were wood.

Looking at these pics ... http://www.theaudclub.com/index.php?x=browse ... it appears it might be the opposite, at least in some sections ... some uppers appear to be plastic ...

Whatever the case, it is a shame what happened to the place ... but at the same time, the city is such a financial mess it would have been hard to justify any sort of maintenence. The memories will live forever.

I think they said just the oranges would be sold because the blues also had too much water damage to the wood

I'm pretty sure james duncan was right - the mold was the key issue, not water damage.

Looking at these pics ... http://www.theaudclub.com/index.php?x=browse ... it appears it might be the opposite, at least in some sections ... some uppers appear to be plastic ...

Whatever the case, it is a shame what happened to the place ... but at the same time, the city is such a financial mess it would have been hard to justify any sort of maintenence. The memories will live forever.

I don't think anyone is beating the city up for not maintaining the place, but rather how they fought the idea of selling the seats and stuff pretty much from the get-go, and waited until after the water had damaged the seating areas and the golds and reds got moldy. Had they decided earlier to salvage and auction what they could they probably could have had 12-14,000 seats available for purchase.

I'm pretty sure james duncan was right - the mold was the key issue, not water damage.

I don't think anyone is beating the city up for not maintaining the place, but rather how they fought the idea of selling the seats and stuff pretty much from the get-go, and waited until after the water had damaged the seating areas and the golds and reds got moldy. Had they decided earlier to salvage and auction what they could they probably could have had 12-14,000 seats available for purchase.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hear ya, but even that costs money, pulling all that stuff out of there ... that's a lot of man hours, plus storage of the stuff because unless they wanted to maintain power and heat and such to the arena they can't store them there ... That's a good chunk of change for a bankrupt city to front before they start selling seats.

Well, what causes mold? Water. Those wet wooden seats could be pretty moldy by now too with that black mold you get from water damage.

This should have all been done as they were getting ready to close the doors for good. Leave the power and heat going for a month or 2 after the doors close and hold an auction like the Leafs did for Maple Leaf Gardens and they could have made a bit of a profit after all expenses were covered, and saved some money in the demolition because theres less stuff going to a landfill now. Even now, they could still make a profit off of the moldy stuff too. How many people do you think will be trying to rummage through the debris looking for stuff like the seats. Take one of the cushoned ones, strip out the old moldy cushons, clean the rest and re-upholster the cushion and you have a seat that no one else has. Hmmmmmm, this gives me an idea, someone give me Quinny or someone in Buffalo politics that has connections to this!

I hear ya, but even that costs money, pulling all that stuff out of there ... that's a lot of man hours, plus storage of the stuff because unless they wanted to maintain power and heat and such to the arena they can't store them there ... That's a good chunk of change for a bankrupt city to front before they start selling seats.

I think apus hit the nail on the head. That all should have been done within a couple months of closing up shop. The Sabres should have footed the bill on keeping the power & heat (or AC) on until the auction, sold as much as possible and would likely have at least broken even.

Besides, don't you remember Giambra or Masielo (can't remember which one) was whining about how much it would cost the unionized city workers to take out the seats, and they wouldn't be able to sell many so the city or county would take a huge loss?

Well, what causes mold? Water. Those wet wooden seats could be pretty moldy by now too with that black mold you get from water damage.

IIRC the exact reason they gave was the toxic mold on the seat cushions, not water damage to the wood. Either way this is an exercise in semantics, sort of like saying the iceberg didn't sink the Titanic, the water did. Either way, the ship is on the ocean floor.

I think apus hit the nail on the head. That all should have been done within a couple months of closing up shop. The Sabres should have footed the bill on keeping the power & heat (or AC) on until the auction, sold as much as possible and would likely have at least broken even.

Besides, don't you remember Giambra or Masielo (can't remember which one) was whining about how much it would cost the unionized city workers to take out the seats, and they wouldn't be able to sell many so the city or county would take a huge loss?

IIRC the exact reason they gave was the toxic mold on the seat cushions, not water damage to the wood. Either way this is an exercise in semantics, sort of like saying the iceberg didn't sink the Titanic, the water did. Either way, the ship is on the ocean floor.

You are right, it's all semantics, it all got screwed up probably 5 different times where they could have saved something. I just wonder if there is really the market for that stuff we think there is ... WE would all love it but I suspect we are in a small, hard-core minority. While I can't fathom it, there are thousands and thousands of people who could care less whether the Sabres win or lose, let alone what happens to a smelly old seat in section 27 of the upper blues. Like I said, they can't destroy the memories.

You are right, it's all semantics, it all got screwed up probably 5 different times where they could have saved something. I just wonder if there is really the market for that stuff we think there is ... WE would all love it but I suspect we are in a small, hard-core minority. While I can't fathom it, there are thousands and thousands of people who could care less whether the Sabres win or lose, let alone what happens to a smelly old seat in section 27 of the upper blues. Like I said, they can't destroy the memories.

I hear ya. The whole situation just reeks of Buffalo/WNY politics and politicians once again being unable to get out of their own way. A lot of these guys could screw up a free lunch.

Archived