UFA Defensemen Signings

K-9

Seriously, of all the defensemen signed the last two days, who out there is truly so much better than our current top 2, top 4, or top 6?

I think Inkman made a great point in suggesting that by midseason, Weber will have surpassed Commodore.

Sure it would have been nice to have Orpik's physical presence, but what else does he bring that's demonstrably and historically better than anyone else we have?

Anyone else think all of our defensemen would play a lot better if they enjoyed the same level of offensive talent the Pens provide Orpik?

I'm not saying we should stand pat with the guys we have, just that it's a real strong possibility that our FO saw what was out there and realized the benefit didn't outweigh the drawback to any great degree, if any, given what they were comfortable in paying.

They will acquire the veteran Dman via trade. Nobody thought much of it at the time when our FO brought in Teppo and Lydman, either. Safe to say they were important cogs in two straight ECF teams.

GO SABRES!!!

They will acquire the veteran Dman via trade. Nobody thought much of it at the time when our FO brought in Teppo and Lydman, either. Safe to say they were important cogs in two straight ECF teams.

Good point on Teppo. I think Teppo was the most important influence...he missed games 3 & 4 of the first round in 2006 and the Sabres subsequently lost those two games. There was a significant difference in the team when he returned. Maybe that had a lot to do with his quality of play, which calmed a lot of the offensive players, but his locker room presence was a huge factor in those playoffs.

Jason Smith could very well be that guy this year. I think it's possible that Darcy - while trying for the Orpiks or Roszivals or Streits - was going to wait until a few days into free agency to see who was available for reasonable money.

But if he's really going to make a trade for the Bouwmeester-type of player, he better do it soon. I doubt Jason Smith will be available much longer. Smith is falling into his lap, so I hope the right thing works out.

Seriously, of all the defensemen signed the last two days, who out there is truly so much better than our current top 2, top 4, or top 6?

Lets not get carried away.

If you just look at talent and not the money they signed for, I'd take Orpik, Redden, Roszival & Stuart over Tallinder, Weber, Sekera & Paetsch.

Roszival-Lydman

Orpik-Redden

Spacek-Stuart

If you just look at talent and not the money they signed for, I'd take Orpik, Redden, Roszival & Stuart over Tallinder, Weber, Sekera & Paetsch.

Roszival-Lydman

Orpik-Redden

Spacek-Stuart

If I didn't look at the money they signed for I WOULD be getting carried away. I don't see how we can seperate the money issue when that's the driving force behind ALL personnel decisions. I'm not saying they're not better. Perhaps I should have asked it a different way. I'm asking are they THAT MUCH better to justify the investment? Orpik-Redden AlONE represents a reported 58 million+ and you don't even have them as the top pair. We also have to consider upside (Inkman's allusion to Weber/Commodore for instance).

GO SABRES!!!

Roszival-Lydman

Orpik-Redden

Spacek-Stuart

That would be wicked. :thumbsup:

It'd also be a 25 million dollar cap hit. :death:

If I didn't look at the money they signed for I WOULD be getting carried away. I don't see how we can seperate the money issue when that's the driving force behind ALL personnel decisions. I'm not saying they're not better. Perhaps I should have asked it a different way. I'm asking are they THAT MUCH better to justify the investment? Orpik-Redden AlONE represents a reported 58 million+ and you don't even have them as the top pair. We also have to consider upside (Inkman's allusion to Weber/Commodore for instance).

GO SABRES!!!

Your question was...

I replied who I would rather have TALENT wise than the current blueliners under contract.

Your question was...

I replied who I would rather have TALENT wise than the current blueliners under contract.

Like I said in my response, perhaps I should have asked it in a different way.

GO SABRES!!!

Archived