Sabres Pushing to Extend Miller

That Aud Smell

If he is that thin skinned then they should move him..If he cant realistically look at how he performed last year and realize he needs to show improvement to be a top payed goaltender then I would pass..I think its a moot point altogether though. I believe the Sabres are gonna give him the Big Deal and that they feel he is the kind of player that is gonna put in the effort to be a top goalie..I think Pominville is going to be the tough one to sign between the two...

It has nothing to do with him being thin-skinned ... if he was thin-skinned the last thing he woudl want to do is go into the last year of his deal and have to answer questions every night ... it drove Campbell to tears. You have to be very thick skinned to answer those questions every night and essentially keep saying "no comment" 57 different ways while staying on your game.

You guys keep talking about how you are not sure if he is "worth" a $6 million/year deal or whatever ... he's "worth" whatever the market will bear ... Lundquist and Luongo are both making more than $7 million this season, and Miller has had more playoff success than either of them. I'm not saying he is better, but guys like Nabokov, Vokoun and Turco are all making more than $5 million ... Huet is reportedly ASKING for $5 million a year .... Miller has definitively accomplished more than them. So that is the neigborhood he is living in, above those guys and MAYBE a small step below Lunquist and Luongo depending on what happens this season. If he bounces back and has a good year, he's looking at $7 million+ easy. If they can get him for around $6 million a year, that's a very fair deal and he IS worth it, given the way things are going around the league.

Please check your facts before posting. You are wrong and TW is right. It's not even close.

Please check your post references first. It wasn't a post with "facts", as in "The Star Spangled Banner was penned after an attack on Fort McHenry", or "Paul Gaustad signed a 4-year deal". It was a comment about a comment. The only fact in a recent post is that TW posts the same general things over and over again, and they always have the subtext of "The Sabres front office doesn't know what they're doing. I do." There's another fact for ya.

If he is that thin skinned then they should move him..If he cant realistically look at how he performed last year and realize he needs to show improvement to be a top payed goaltender then I would pass..I think its a moot point altogether though. I believe the Sabres are gonna give him the Big Deal and that they feel he is the kind of player that is gonna put in the effort to be a top goalie..I think Pominville is going to be the tough one to sign between the two...

So because he had 1 down year on a team where pretty much everyone had a down year, and he was forced to play in almost every game (and played more games the even Hasek ever played in a Season in Buffalo) all of the sudden he has to "show improvement" to prove he is a top level goaltender in the league? Talk about a "What have you done for me lately" attitude. Waht about 2 years ago when he won the starting job and helped lead the team to the ECF's, or the season after that when he appeared in the all star game and was another key factor in them making the ECF's? I admit, he is not Hasek in his prime, which is what most seem to expect in their goaltending now, but he is a top 10 goaltender in this league, and I'm sure there are plenty of teams in this league that would love to take a chance on giving him top level money, and hope he "shows improvement"

Asking him to sign a 2-3 year deal to "reasonable money" because you don't think he has shown enough yet to deserve to be payed like guys like Lundqvist would be an insult

So because he had 1 down year on a team where pretty much everyone had a down year, and he was forced to play in almost every game (and played more games the even Hasek ever played in a Season in Buffalo) all of the sudden he has to "show improvement" to prove he is a top level goaltender in the league? Talk about a "What have you done for me lately" attitude. Waht about 2 years ago when he won the starting job and helped lead the team to the ECF's, or the season after that when he appeared in the all star game and was another key factor in them making the ECF's? I admit, he is not Hasek in his prime, which is what most seem to expect in their goaltending now, but he is a top 10 goaltender in this league, and I'm sure there are plenty of teams in this league that would love to take a chance on giving him top level money, and hope he "shows improvement"

Asking him to sign a 2-3 year deal to "reasonable money" because you don't think he has shown enough yet to deserve to be payed like guys like Lundqvist would be an insult

What he said ... when they offered Campbell a shorter term deal everyone agreed it was a dumb move and it was insulting ... as far as I am concerned, Miller was a bigger factor to the Sabres success from 05-07 than Campbell, so why should he have to prove himself again? Either they want him or they don't ... if they don't, trade him now. But that isn't happening.

the simple fact that both sides are actually talking to the media about contract talks means that this is going to have a positive outcome in regards to signing miller. look at campbell, briere, drury... you never had both sides talking at the same time to the media. I'll also buy into the fact that miller deserves lundqvist numbers, or better. He's our franchise goalie right now. You give the franchise player the big money and build around him.

I'm not saying he is better, but guys like Nabokov, Vokoun and Turco are all making more than $5 million ... Huet is reportedly ASKING for $5 million a year .... Miller has definitively accomplished more than them.

I'd love to get an explanation on that one because I think you're way off. Two conference final runs does not equal "accomplished more than them". While they may not have had as much playoff success, all but Vokoun have reached the conference finals, have much better career numbers sustained over a longer period, and at least Turco and Nabokov (not sure on Vokoun) have been Vezina finalists.

I agree a short-term contract is a pipe-dream. That was a few years ago. Today, nothing less than a Lundquist level contract is going to be up to par. Besides, if Miller is not the guy, who you gonna go get? Even if Enroth does develop into an NHL caliber goalie which is still a significant if, he's still most likely practically years away even after making it to the bigs from probably being a top goalie. To me, I'd rather sign him than not have a NHL goalie. Realistically, if you don't have Miller, you have to trade for one (how often does that happen?) and if you do, you're going to probably give up a alot. Unrestricted FA? Usually old and washed up or not in our price range. Bank on Enroth? You could but the kid hasn't even played on game in the AHL yet. So, at this point and in the NHL microsphere, unless they want to go one of those routes, Miller and long-term is the best way to go IMO.

I'd love to get an explanation on that one because I think you're way off. Two conference final runs does not equal "accomplished more than them". While they may not have had as much playoff success, all but Vokoun have reached the conference finals, have much better career numbers sustained over a longer period, and at least Turco and Nabokov (not sure on Vokoun) have been Vezina finalists.

OK, my language there was a bit strong, I stand corrected ... to a point. As far as I am concerned, the playoff runs mean a lot. Numbers aren't eveything considering the Sabres played a much less conservative style than those other teams. One year Turco faced 1648 shots in 73 games ... last season Miller faced more than 2100 shots in 76 games ... that's a huge difference. last season nabokov faced 1802 shots in 77 games ... more than 300 less than Miller ... Vokoun was facing a similar shooting gallery last year in Florida but in Nashville he was not. Maybe they have been more consistent over time, but they are all 32 or older ... Miller is not yet 28 ...

Whatever the case, he is inthat neighborhood ... if they got $5 million+ as 30 year olds a couple years ago, a younger guy like Miller on that level 2 years later can expect to get more.

Archived