Smoked Umberger a Blue Jacket now

FogBat

Weird deal. RJ was one of the best Flyers in the post season.

He was a force at times. I think the Flyers are really going to miss him next year. The question is, is he a career role player who caught lightning in a bottle during the playoffs, or is he about to become a clutch goal scorer and team leader type.

I was hoping to have a few more responses than this up to now, but I'll go ahead and put in my two cents - and then some:

Umberger is now in the Western Conference with his old buddy

. If Soupy stays a Shark, they'll meet up at least four times next season.

Umberger is also back in Ken Hitchcock's fold. He was under Hitch's tutelage when Hitch coached the Flyers.

I'll give you two words why Umberger is no longer a Flyer: Daniel Briere. Had Paul Holmgren not given Briere such a massive contract, he might have been able to keep Umberger. Holmgren really shot himself with that, and now he is literally paying the price for that one. (BTW, didn't he also give Mike Richards a humongous contract extension this past season? I bet he's wishing he hadn't done that now.) This just backs up James Duncan's post on this thread.

As for wjag's comment that the trade was a steal, I don't think I could have said it better myself. I have no idea what CBJ's cap situation is, but it has to be much better than the Flyers right now.

Now I have to wonder if Umberger is the Second Coming of Dick Duff...

Archived