Compensatory pick for Kryukov???

LabattBlue

Does anyone know for sure if the Sabres can renounce the rights to this former 1st round gem for a 2nd round pick in this years draft? I have read speculation that without a transfer agreement in place that the compensatory pick isn't an option at this time.

Bottom line...If the compensatory pick is in play, DR needs to jump all over it, because it is clear that Kryukov is no longer a prospect and is never coming over here.

I'd like to know the intricacies behind the draft process with Kryukov. It all seems random.

I wonder if that was considered to be a thin draft. Looking at the entire draft, I'm not all that impressed. From pick 7-19, only 2 players worth anything were drafted. It looks like they decided to take a chance. Sure, there are plenty of players further down the list that I'd rather have than Kryukov, but that still doesn't take away from what looks like a weak draft year in general. That entire draft was a complete waste for us, minus Gaustad in the 7th round. The rest of that draft class combined for one game played (Sean McMorrow). That's just plain pathetic.

They made up for it in 2001 though.

As for the compensatory pick, I have no clue since it goes back 8 years to the old CBA. Personally, I don't think they should get one since its that old of a screw up, but obviously I won't complain if they do get one.

Archived