Ed Kilgore

Buffalo Fan

I like the cautious optimism with which he writes. There is a lot of negativity with most writers and seemingly fans, but he does shed some positive light.

Like a lot of long time anchors, Ed long ago became too close to management and became a shill for them. Just watch, whenever management needs to make their point they release a little information to guys like Ed and he releases information from "sources close to the team." His beating the "one of the smallest markets in the NHL" isn't based at all on fact. Their proximity to the Canadian border skews the market analysis but their revenue numbers have been around 18 or 19 for the last two or thee years.

Like a lot of long time anchors, Ed long ago became too close to management and became a shill for them. Just watch, whenever management needs to make their point they release a little information to guys like Ed and he releases information from "sources close to the team." His beating the "one of the smallest markets in the NHL" isn't based at all on fact. Their proximity to the Canadian border skews the market analysis but their revenue numbers have been around 18 or 19 for the last two or thee years.

Ed always reserves judgment and gives management the benefit of the doubt until it is safe to do so.

I think he just hit the organization pretty hard this week saying that the Drury negotiations "could have been handled better."

I hear Bucky Ecklund is reporting that Ed Kilgore has been offered a contract for 5 years and $25 Million by the Sabres. :rolleyes:

Let's not rip the integrity of one sportscaster who is just offering his opinion while you spend so much time defending a hack like Bucky Ecklund. I'm sure it's not Ed you have the problem with it's the tone of the opinion. I know, I know how dare someone write something that doesn't rip the Sabres. Some of us actually prefer a well thought out and honest opinion. Some of us are tired of personal vendetta's and unsubstantiated claims by reporters who only job is to rile the fans and paint the Sabres management as evil.

Management is bad. What an unimaginative approach to an article. It's like one of the standard articles, they much teach it college. Management is Evil 101. Bucky must have gotten a 'A' in that class.

Were the Sabres good enough this year, even WITH Briere and Drury, to WIN the Cup? No, and that includes Brian Campbell as well. The Sabres still have plenty of skilled players, and they flirted with leading the NHL in scoring all year long. The skilled players are almost ALL fairly young, and decisions will probably have to be made on Tim Connolly or Max Afinogenov or others, but essentially, this team is still pretty good.

In general terms, the Sabres need more toughness both up front and on the blue line, if they want to get where they want to go. They have a terrific head coach in Lindy Ruff and an astute gm, despite his many critics, in Darcy Regier. While this season has been a huge disappointment, even though expectations were down after the key losses, it isn't the time for wholesale changes, and many impatient fans and media will be saying and writing exactly that in the coming months.

Changes? By all means, but the ingredients for an outstanding team -- yes, even a Cup contender -- are still here, so don't throw away those Vanek or Miller shirts just yet, and hope maybe history can repeat itself once again.

Bold #1. :blink: the alternative was better?

Bold #2. how or where is this going to come from Ed? how bout Cam Janssen!

Bold #3. this whole article screams contender but no confidence in winning it all.

p.s. I think it is time for some wholesale changes, we need some attitude! or an attitude.

I hear Bucky Ecklund is reporting that Ed Kilgore has been offered a contract for 5 years and $25 Million by the Sabres. :rolleyes:

Let's not rip the integrity of one sportscaster who is just offering his opinion while you spend so much time defending a hack like Bucky Ecklund. I'm sure it's not Ed you have the problem with it's the tone of the opinion. I know, I know how dare someone write something that doesn't rip the Sabres. Some of us actually prefer a well thought out and honest opinion. Some of us are tired of personal vendetta's and unsubstantiated claims by reporters who only job is to rile the fans and paint the Sabres management as evil.

Management is bad. What an unimaginative approach to an article. It's like one of the standard articles, they much teach it college. Management is Evil 101. Bucky must have gotten a 'A' in that class.

Let's be consistent, Mr. Deluca, read Ed's posts they are filled with "my sources close to the team" or "my sources tell me" not to mention his complete lack of hockey knowledge and the way he contradicts himself when he is proven wrong but never admits his initial opinion was wrong. And how about the way he throws in that the Rangers won the Cup next year without mentioning all the changes that New York made that off season.

If you weren't so in need of being contrary, you would acknowledge that Ed has zero credibility, no matter what he is reporting on.

Thanks, that was the article I was referring to. It just seems to me that short of winning a cup, every writer wants to rip this organization because they did not do what they had recomended OR what they had arm-chaired. And even if they did win a cup, there would still be some that would second guess HOW they did it.

Ed may or may not be close with the organization. Maybe some here have more intimate knowledge than the rest of us. I just like his lack of "THE SKY IS FALLING" mentality. In this day of free agency and NOW gratification, it's nice when someone takes a step back and realizes you can't win 'em all, but you can keep trying. As a son of Buffalo, I certainly understand the frustration of the fans, but the Sabres and Bills are what we identify with win or lose. That won't change if we win a Cup or Super Bowl, and it won't change if we don't.

Let's be consistent, Mr. Deluca, read Ed's posts they are filled with "my sources close to the team" or "my sources tell me" not to mention his complete lack of hockey knowledge and the way he contradicts himself when he is proven wrong but never admits his initial opinion was wrong. And how about the way he throws in that the Rangers won the Cup next year without mentioning all the changes that New York made that off season.

If you weren't so in need of being contrary, you would acknowledge that Ed has zero credibility, no matter what he is reporting on.

Can you please point out to where these terms are used in this article?

No one has ever claimed that Ed Kilgore is the next Al Morgante. The guy is a local sports anchor who wrote a pretty decent article. His point is spot on about the Rangers. It is an example that it can be done. If he had decided to make that the focus of his article I'm sure he could have listed in detail all of the changes made by the Rangers. He decided not to. It's a decent point but not the focus of his opinion. The article includes some as the Sabres faults as well as some the positives. It was pretty well balanced article. I know you're not used to that. Read some more you might get to like it.

So if you write something that supports management and has a rosey outlook on the future, you are a good writer and someone we can all take as fact, but if you write anything negative you are a hack with no knowledge?

Which points do you consider to be clear attempts at "supporting management"?

You are 100% correct.

Kilgore was almost snotty in dismissing the views of doubters after the July 1st debacle. I never really had a strong opinion on Kilgore before that. Like most on air guys...just reporting the scores and trying to make a buck....but his attitude that day showed he is in the tank for the Sabres. Dennis Williams was similar in his comments, and his move to WGR550 was all the more reason to be cautious.

This is the biggest problem that management backers didn't understand....Buffalo is a small town, and any information that was put out to the public this year was done so through management cronies. MSG...WGR...the local guys.......the Buffalo News was critical of management, and the Sabres refused to talk to them the entire season. This is the kind of stuff political machines do....and it is dirty to the core.

No one has ever claimed that Ed Kilgore is the next Al Morgante. The guy is a local sports anchor who wrote a pretty decent article. His point is spot on about [/b]the Rangers. It is an example that it can be done. If he had decided to make that the focus of his article I'm sure he could have listed in detail all of the changes made by the Rangers. He decided not to. It's a decent point but not the focus of his opinion. The article includes some as the Sabres faults as well as some the positives. It was pretty well balanced article. I know you're not used to that. Read some more you might get to like it.

Actually, his point couldn't be more "off" spot. He is comparing an organization whose stated goal is to be competetive with the hopes of someday being able to compete for a Cup versus an organization who, rightly or wrongly will spend whatever it takes in order to try and win a Cup. Not to mention that it was done in a pre-cap era.

You keep missing the big picture, anyway. Its not that Buffalo won't spend, its that TG and LQ don't know how to spend.

Finally, you may want ot read some of Ed's archives before you decide if you want to hitch your wagon to him.

Thanks, that was the article I was referring to. It just seems to me that short of winning a cup, every writer wants to rip this organization because they did not do what they had recomended OR what they had arm-chaired. And even if they did win a cup, there would still be some that would second guess HOW they did it.

Ed may or may not be close with the organization. Maybe some here have more intimate knowledge than the rest of us. I just like his lack of "THE SKY IS FALLING" mentality. In this day of free agency and NOW gratification, it's nice when someone takes a step back and realizes you can't win 'em all, but you can keep trying. As a son of Buffalo, I certainly understand the frustration of the fans, but the Sabres and Bills are what we identify with win or lose. That won't change if we win a Cup or Super Bowl, and it won't change if we don't.

Are you sure they are trying?

Actually, his point couldn't be more "off" spot. He is comparing an organization whose stated goal is to be competetive with the hopes of someday being able to compete for a Cup versus an organization who, rightly or wrongly will spend whatever it takes in order to try and win a Cup. Not to mention that it was done in a pre-cap era.

You keep missing the big picture, anyway. Its not that Buffalo won't spend, its that TG and LQ don't know how to spend.

Finally, you may want ot read some of Ed's archives before you decide if you want to hitch your wagon to him.

And yet they went to two consecutive Conference Finals? Which pretty much makes your point asinine. It's not that TG and LQ "don't know how to spend" it's that they don't spend the way you want them to. Sorry Tom, I would rather have TG and LQ running the Sabres than Bucky Ecklund and yourself.

"Hitch"? I guess since I agreed with a lot of what Ed Kilgore wrote in the article I am now a "shill" for Ed Kilgore. It would be easier to take your critisisms more seriously if you could acknowledge the positives. The thread was started to point out a decent article written by a local anchor. You decided to attack Ed Kilgore you reasons outside of the topic at hand. Kilgore is not a sports writer by trade. The article is a decent one, you might want to forward to your buddy Bucky as a quick lesson on how to balance his opinion. If Bucky learned that? Maybe people would take him seriously.

And yet they went to two consecutive Conference Finals? Which pretty much makes your point asinine. It's not that TG and LQ "don't know how to spend" it's that they don't spend the way you want them to. Sorry Tom, I would rather have TG and LQ running the Sabres than Bucky Ecklund and yourself.

"Hitch"? I guess since I agreed with a lot of what Ed Kilgore wrote in the article I am now a "shill" for Ed Kilgore. It would be easier to take your critisisms more seriously if you could acknowledge the positives. The thread was started to point out a decent article written by a local anchor. You decided to attack Ed Kilgore you reasons outside of the topic at hand. Kilgore is not a sports writer by trade. The article is a decent one, you might want to forward to your buddy Bucky as a quick lesson on how to balance his opinion. If Bucky learned that? Maybe people would take him seriously.

So true Deluca... People just want to live in the failed past instead of trying to build better and be positive.

BFLO is famous for it... It is the city that told Henry Ford to get phucked... :wallbash: :wallbash:

Darcy Reiger, with the help of Neil Smith, built the team that made it to the finals two years in a row. He alos built the team that made it twice without Tg and LQ. He had to convince TG and LQ to spend to the cap to keep the team together after year one.

Two of TG's decisions cost the team a chance to compete for longer than two years. A decision to sign everyone to one year contracts after the lock out, which resulted in over ten players filing for arbitration, and not agreeing to a contract that his management team agreed to in principal.

I did not accuse you of being a shill for Ed Kilgore. However, it is hard to take anything Kilgore says seriously given his preconceived notions.

Furthermore, if you hadn't attached yourself to this hate bucky bandwagon, you could see that he has done a good job of balancing his articles and has seemed to move on like the rest of us who believe that management deserves the benefit of the doubt moving forward.

So true Deluca... People just want to live in the failed past instead of trying to build better and be positive.

BFLO is famous for it... It is the city that told Henry Ford to get phucked... :wallbash: :wallbash:

Au contraire, Mr. Exiled, we wanted to believe that we finally had an ownership group that would continue to build upon what had become one of sports great stories and instead found ourselves fooled again.

Ed Kilgore appears a nice man and certainly has had a long tenure in Buffalo TV Sports media. But at no time has his articles or reporting been above puffery. He pretty much has stayed a safe and certain course, perhaps it is why he has endured.

Ed Kilgore appears a nice man and certainly has had a long tenure in Buffalo TV Sports media. But at no time has his articles or reporting been above puffery. He pretty much has stayed a safe and certain course, perhaps it is why he has endured.

Ed is one guy you don't hear a lot of negative things said about and his daughter is considered pretty hot by some. Seems like he would be a good neighbor. Its just his public sports opinions I find worthless.

That's how I see it.

He's Mac & Cheese. Hard not to like, and at the same time hard to describe

without using the word 'cheesy."

No one has ever claimed that Ed Kilgore is the next Al Morgante. The guy is a local sports anchor who wrote a pretty decent article. His point is spot on about the Rangers. It is an example that it can be done. If he had decided to make that the focus of his article I'm sure he could have listed in detail all of the changes made by the Rangers. He decided not to. It's a decent point but not the focus of his opinion. The article includes some as the Sabres faults as well as some the positives. It was pretty well balanced article. I know you're not used to that. Read some more you might get to like it.

With regard to bold, it is not spot on at all. Let's play this game shall we and see what the differences were between the 1992-1993 Rangers roster and the 1993-1994 Rangers roster and see what the Sabres would do. And, please tell me if you actually think this type of roster turnover would ever happen for the Sabres?

1992-1993 Team

Coach: Roger Neilsen/Ron Smith

Key Players on the team:

Mark Messier

Adam Graves

Brian Leetch

Jeff Beukeboom

Alexei Kovalev (part time)

Todd Marchant (traded for Craig MacTavish)

Doug Weight (traded for Esa Tikanen)

Mike Gartner (traded for Glenn Anderson)

Tony Amonte (traded for Stephane Matteau and Brian Noonan)

Darren Turcotte (traded for Steve Larmer and Nick Kypreos)

James Patrick (traded for Steve Larmer and Nick Kypreos)

Goalie: John Vanbiesbrouck (exposed in the expansion draft to the Florida Panthers)

1993-1994 Team

Coach: Mike Keenan

Key Players on the team

Mark Messier

Adam Graves

Brian Leetch

Jeff Beukeboom

Sergei Zubov (first full season in NHL)

Craig MacTavish (traded for Todd Marchant)

Steve Larmer (traded for James Patrick and Darren Turcotte)

Nick Kypreos (traded for James Patrick and Darren Turcotte)

Stephane Matteau (traded for Tony Amonte and other prospects)

Brian Noonan (traded for Tony Amonte and other prospects)

Glenn Anderson (traded for Mike Gartner)

Esa Tikanen (traded for Doug Weight

Alexei Kovalev (full time)

Goalie: Mike Richter (former backup then starter)

Given this much turnover, do you think the Sabres are going to do this to become a Stanley Cup winner? When people talk about the Rangers, people do not realize the upheaval and roster turnover between the 1992 President's Trophy winning team and the 1994 Stanley Cup winning team. The Sabres team in its current incarnation is not good enough to make the playoffs. Will the management team do what it takes, because clearly some roster turnover is required, maybe not as drastic as the Rangers, but something needs to be done to put this team over the hump. But, given the salary cap and the current day, we should not expect to see this type of roster turnover for the Sabres and any comparison to those Rangers is absolutely ridiculous unless the Sabres make equivalent impact to their team in 2008-2009.

Sergei Zubov (first full season in NHL)

Craig MacTavish (traded for Todd Marchant)

Steve Larmer (traded for James Patrick and Darren Turcotte)

Nick Kypreos (traded for James Patrick and Darren Turcotte)

Stephane Matteau (traded for Tony Amonte and other prospects)

Brian Noonan (traded for Tony Amonte and other prospects)

Glenn Anderson (traded for Mike Gartner)

Esa Tikanen (traded for Doug Weight

Alexei Kovalev (full time)

Goalie: Mike Richter (former backup then starter)

Nice work!

Matteau!

Can Teppo be our Esa?

Archived