Official IIHF World Championship Thread

slugspirit

Well, one result of not making the playoffs is that some Sabres will get to play hockey for their home countries while the rest of the team golfs. According to the Buffalo News, this is the list of players that could potentially see time in Canada in May:

Jason Pominville (Expected to play for the US)

Paul Gaustad (Expected to play for the US)

Ryan Miller (Expected to be named to US roster, undecided on playing)

Derek Roy (Expected to play for Canada)

Ales Kotalik (Playing for the Czech Rep.)

Teppo Numminen (Expected to be named to Finland's roster, undecided on playing)

Maxim Afinogenov (Expected to be named to Russia's roster, undecided on playing)

Thomas Vanek (Austria, playing in Div. IA in Austria)

Not Playing: Jochen Hecht (Germany), Henrik Tallinder (Sweden)

Maxim Afinogenov (Expected to be named to Russia's roster, undecided on playing)

I'm glad these guys get to represent their country, but it also makes me nervous having our (supposed) core playing hockey outside the team. I know that the chances of sustaining a long-term injury are small, but even a shorter-term (months) one could mess with their summer conditioning, which if you ask a lot of players, is key to being in shape for the season.

I'm glad these guys get to represent their country, but it also makes me nervous having our (supposed) core playing hockey outside the team. I know that the chances of sustaining a long-term injury are small, but even a shorter-term (months) one could mess with their summer conditioning, which if you ask a lot of players, is key to being in shape for the season.

I think for young players there is probably a lot to be learned just being on the ice playing with top level guys as teammates. Think of it as a mini-camp.

Well, one result of not making the playoffs is that some Sabres will get to play hockey for their home countries while the rest of the team golfs. According to the Buffalo News, this is the list of players that could potentially see time in Canada in May:

Not Playing: Jochen Hecht (Germany), Henrik Tallinder (Sweden)

:huh:

Me thinks you have typo there unless his mother is 'Merican. He was born in Quebec and played for the Canadians in the '04 AHL All Star Game.

:huh:

Me thinks you have typo there unless his mother is 'Merican. He was born in Quebec and played for the Canadians in the '04 AHL All Star Game.

His mother is American. His dad is French Canadian, so he does have dual citizenship.

Edit: Sorry forgot to attach a link: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabresnh...ory/304402.html

Does anyone know if the NHL Network will be broadcasting the World Championships?

If guys are legitimately hurt (see the Vanek thread) then they shouldn't go anywhere near a camp for their national team, end of story. But for guys who are just tired from the season or whatnot - let them go. Heck, the last couple years they have played their NHL seasons into mid- to late-May. Couple weeks for the World Cup shouldn't kill them...

• 4 weeks later...

So did Ryan just decide not to play? I see Tim Thomas, Craig Anderson and Robert Esche on the Team USA roster.

But Esche? Coming out of the Russian Super League, playing with Mika Noronen? Were there no other American-born goalies that could have used the experience?

Looks like Team USA didn't let the video goal judge error steal their focus, beating Norway 9-1 to close out the qualifying round. LINK

Team USA will play Finland in the quarterfinals on Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. EDT.

Two of our favorite whipping boys - Max and Dmitri - are waiting in the finals for the winner of Canada-Sweden after Russia disposed of Finland 4-0.

Canada and Russia facing off in the finals for the first time ever. :blink:

(Note: this doesn't count the Soviets, who met Canada in the finals in the 50's.)

Two of our favorite whipping boys - Max and Dmitri - are waiting in the finals for the winner of Canada-Sweden after Russia disposed of Finland 4-0.

LINK

And believe it or not, Kalinin has been extremely solid.

Max has been just as clueless on the ice as always, and with a coach like Bykov who doesn't mind calling out his players or sending them a message, he's been getting Rob Ray ice-time

Oh well, at least it's not like Satan who would mail in an entire season for the Sabres, then play like his hair was on fire for the Slovaks at the worlds. That always pissed me off to no end.

Archived