Sabres momentum has come to a grinding halt!

LabattBlue

I'm starting to believe this two week break is a bad thing for the Sabres(except for the time being used to heal the walking wounded). They were playing well, fan interest and ticket sales are the highest they have been in 4-5 years and all of a sudden the plug is pulled for a two week break.

I am going through withdrawals and need a Sabre fix in a bad way. The Atlanta game can't come soon enough.

:angry:

I am dying ... I think they will be OK because everyone else is in the same boat as far as the time off, but you never know, they have to handle it well.

Worst thing for me is I can't even see the Atlanta game so I am forced to wait a couple more nights ... I guess listening to RJ on the Internet will have to be good enough .

Sabres will win their next 5 games fellas....

Team USA will exit early and Mr Miller will make a statement the second half. Biron will be traded and we will get some D help and a nice draft pick to go with him. Biron is the best on the trade bloc for Goalies and teams now have to invest in youth due to the cap.

We now get everyone back healthy. That is a scary thing for the rest of the NHL.

Sabres will win their next 5 games fellas....

Team USA will exit early and Mr Miller will make a statement the second half. Biron will be traded and we will get some D help and a nice draft pick to go with him. Biron is the best on the trade bloc for Goalies and teams now have to invest in youth due to the cap.

We now get everyone back healthy. That is a scary thing for the rest of the NHL.

I think we might have to give up a bit more than Biron to get some D help.

Biron will be traded and we will get some D help and a nice draft pick to go with him. Biron is the best on the trade bloc for Goalies and teams now have to invest in youth due to the cap.

Not sure I am following your logic here ... if teams have to invest in youth due to the cap, why would they want the Sabres oldest goalie who is making $2.5 million a year?

I think they will be fine and probably get a defenseman somehow, but it probably will not be for Biron.

Not sure I am following your logic here ... if teams have to invest in youth due to the cap, why would they want the Sabres oldest goalie who is making $2.5 million a year?

I think they will be fine and probably get a defenseman somehow, but it probably will not be for Biron.

Very simple Pipes...

This is no longer a game for the 44 year old contract hogs to play. The rule changes made this a faster game. This is a huge reason for the Sabres having such a good season. Take a look at Pittsburgh, picked to go deep into the playoffs with their FA spending. They are the bottom of the pile. Leafs are in the same boat.

Last time we played Philly we skated all over that team. This team is lacking D, Miller keeps us in a ton of games along with our shot blocking. Grab one or two good young fast D-men and we got a shot at making a run.

I think it will cause problems off ice with the players if Biron stays. That 2.5 million mean nothing now that Biron has proved himself this season. He is the best tender on the trade market. I think Darcy will demand high and receive high for him. There are alway that one stupid team that will fork away their future for players now....

If you say so ... I think you are looking at the thing through rose colored glasses. I agree with you that the Sabres have found a good formula for success, but to think that someone else is going to overpay for Biron is wishful thinking. First of all, you said it yourself, teams are looking for young talent that is inexpensive ... Marty is really neither young nor inexpensive. As I have said before, good young defensemen are even more rare than goaltenders. Teams do not part with them easily. There is no bigger Marty Biron fan than myself, but i am realistic about his value, and there is no way in hell someone is going to give the Sabres "one or two good young fast D-men" for him.

If you say so ... I think you are looking at the thing through rose colored glasses. I agree with you that the Sabres have found a good formula for success, but to think that someone else is going to overpay for Biron is wishful thinking. First of all, you said it yourself, teams are looking for young talent that is inexpensive ... Marty is really neither young nor inexpensive. As I have said before, good young defensemen are even more rare than goaltenders. Teams do not part with them easily. There is no bigger Marty Biron fan than myself, but i am realistic about his value, and there is no way in hell someone is going to give the Sabres "one or two good young fast D-men" for him.

Agreed. If someone was willing to give us a deal like that, it would have happened already. If we're going to get a defenseman, I imagine he would be older, probably someone who is going to be a UFA as soon as the season ends. I hope I am wrong, but I don't see too many teams wanting to part with good young defenseman. As far as it being a young players game...while I understand your point, there are exceptions. Teppo Numinnen is older, and I think he is having plenty of success in the new NHL.

i would feel safer with biron as my playoff backup than with noronen backing miller up.

Why?

This seems to be a common sentiment on this board, but both Marty and Mika (and Miller for that matter) have exactly the same number of minutes of NHL playoff game time logged - 0.

With the Sabres having a glut of forwards and goalies and needing another defenseman, I would much rather have another D-man than Marty come playoff time. I don't see a huge difference between Marty and Mika and would be comfortable with Mika backing Ryan up come playoff time.

Why?

This seems to be a common sentiment on this board, but both Marty and Mika (and Miller for that matter) have exactly the same number of minutes of NHL playoff game time logged - 0.

Yeah but how many minutes has Mika played this season? The guy can hardly get any time in practice. I agree if they can add a good piece for Biron maybe you have to make the deal, but you do it understanding you are taking a risk ... to say Noronen and Biron are the same right now is just not true. It would be unfair to Noronen to ask him to step in and play like Biron did in December when he has been the odd man out for so long.

Yeah but how many minutes has Mika played this season? The guy can hardly get any time in practice. I agree if they can add a good piece for Biron maybe you have to make the deal, but you do it understanding you are taking a risk ... to say Noronen and Biron are the same right now is just not true. It would be unfair to Noronen to ask him to step in and play like Biron did in December when he has been the odd man out for so long.

Marty has played in exactly 2 games since the 1st of the year. Even if he were to get the start against Atlanta, which he won't, he'd be looking at nearly 1-1/2 months (38 days) since his last action. He's only played 4 games after his winning streak and hasn't won any of those starts, although that is more against the team than Marty as he definitely played well enough to win against Phoenix.

Based on the lack of action Marty has had since the end of December, I think it is unfair to expect HIM to step right back to the level he was playing at in December. Will he go back to that level? He might, but we don't know until he is thrown back in. This kind of gets back to our discussion much earlier this season about how much does a team want to / should it play its backup.

If Marty were gone via trade, the Sabres could send Mika down to Rochester for a conditioning assignment and bring up Leighton. (I know Mika turned down a conditioning assignment earlier this year, but that was when the competition was a true NHL goalie, not Leighton (who does have NHL experience, but has not been getting the job done down in Rochester consistantly). I think Mika would be more amicable to a conditioning call down than he was in the past.) Not only could this help the Sabres, but it might have the added benefit of helping the Amerks who are currently in a 5 game slide and perilously close to missing the playoffs. Mika played very well in his 2 starts prior to getting injured but has not played since being thrown to the lions in the Thornton game.

I would be comfortable with Mika as the backup once he has gotten the rust off, which is basically the way I feel about Biron.

I hear ya, but at least Biron is getting real practice time ... either way, they are not going to make a seriousl run if Miller goes down long term, I just want someone to be able to do what Roloson did in '99 keep us even in a series if something happens short term ...

Again, I am not saying keep Biron no matter what, if the right deal is there it could be worth it. Just saying I am not AS comfortable with Noronen. But then I never have been.

I hear ya, but at least Biron is getting real practice time ... either way, they are not going to make a seriousl run if Miller goes down long term, I just want someone to be able to do what Roloson did in '99 keep us even in a series if something happens short term ...

Again, I am not saying keep Biron no matter what, if the right deal is there it could be worth it. Just saying I am not AS comfortable with Noronen. But then I never have been.

Fair enough.

there are still bunch of $21 dollar seats left for the march 1st game :D , for those of you going through withdrawl and not looking forward to the non televised game!! :blush:

Archived