Was at the Amerks game last night

Claude Balls

Mike Ryan was there in the stands wearing a suit, which it made me wonder what the Sabres are doing with him for the time being. I thought he was getting close to returning from his injury. MacArthur looked average at best and I still wonder how he made it to Buffalo. I don't think Zagrapan is anywhere near the NHL level and not sure he ever will be. He totally avoids contact. Adam Dennis, I think T-bo is better than him right now as Adam has not improved at all from last year. It's like he has a hard time following the puck and if the shot isn't right at his chest, it has a good chance of finding the back of the net. Mancari - nothing special, as well as Gragnani. I think these guys have mailed it in and are playing like they are trying to make it through the remainder of the season without sustaining any injuries.

I only really noticed three players who were actually trying tonight and all three are Florida prospects. Luke Beaverson 6"5" 227 lbs is just what the Sabres need, a tough, hard hitting defenseman who can drop the gloves if needed. He did last night and pummeled Classen from Manitoba. Jordan Henry 6'2" 195 lbs is another rugged d-man who carry the puck through the zone. Then there was the 5"5' 166 lb Tommy Goebel. This kid had alot of heart and played like everyone was his size out there. He was all over the ice.

I was also watching Kostka as much as I could, but he did nothing that stood out. I'll be there again Friday night to see him again and Whitmore's first professional game. All in all, it looks like Florida's front office is preparing for the future better than Buffalo's.

All these players I listed, except for Henry are signed to ATO's.

One more thing I forgot to add. Scott Arniel is Manitoba's head coach and the Moose scored there first two goals of the game on the PP, although the first one might have expired just as the goal was scored. Didn't Buffalo's PP suck when that was his only job here. The officiating was also terrible. PPs were 5-1 in favor of Manitoba and Rochester's only PP came with just over 2 minutes left in the game.

Mike Ryan was there in the stands wearing a suit, which it made me wonder what the Sabres are doing with him for the time being.

I'm guessing he is buddies with a couple of Amerks and had the night off.

I thought he was getting close to returning from his injury. MacArthur looked average at best and I still wonder how he made it to Buffalo.

Clarke has regressed a bit in his development. I was hoping to see more from him.

I don't think Zagrapan is anywhere near the NHL level and not sure he ever will be. He totally avoids contact.

Bingo. Novonty lite.

Adam Dennis, I think T-bo is better than him right now as Adam has not improved at all from last year. It's like he has a hard time following the puck and if the shot isn't right at his chest, it has a good chance of finding the back of the net.

I'm not sure if he is even AHL material, let alone NHL material.

Mancari - nothing special, as well as Gragnani. I think these guys have mailed it in and are playing like they are trying to make it through the remainder of the season without sustaining any injuries.

You would think these guys would be busting their ass, trying to make an impression for next year's roster spots. Instead, they look like a bunch of sheep.

I'm not sure if he is even AHL material, let alone NHL material.

I think you're right.

You would think these guys would be busting their ass, trying to make an impression for next year's roster spots. Instead, they look like a bunch of sheep.

It was a pitiful performance witnessed by me and about 1,200 other fans. Smallest crowd I have seen in my life at the old hockey barn. Amerks came out strong and had two clean breakaways in the first 5 minutes. One by MacArthur and one by Glass. Mac hit the goalie in the crest and Glass' shot trickled through the fiver. After that, it was all Manitoba.

I don't know what it is with the whole Sabres organization. The Florida prospects at least looked like they had something to play for. Although, I do think Whitmore will be an animal Friday night playing at home in front of family and friends.

I also wanted to say that the Amerks are playing this style I haven't seen before. When they are playing defense in their own zone, they only have 4 guys inside the blue line. They leave one forward out cherry picking between the red line and opposing blue line, which in turn makes the opposition have one guy back shadowing him. So it's basically a 4 on 4 situation when the Amerks are on defense. I think it's what led to the 2 early breakaways. After that it didn't come close to working.

They leave one forward out cherry picking between the red line and opposing blue line...

Ahh...they are implementing the old Vanek/Afinogenov role into the Amerks so the young Sabres will be accustomed to them not getting back and playing D. Makes sense... :rolleyes:

I don't think Zagrapan is anywhere near the NHL level and not sure he ever will be. He totally avoids contact.

What? That means he is ready for the Sabres! Bring him up, he'll fit right in...

I think you're right.

It was a pitiful performance witnessed by me and about 1,200 other fans. Smallest crowd I have seen in my life at the old hockey barn. Amerks came out strong and had two clean breakaways in the first 5 minutes. One by MacArthur and one by Glass. Mac hit the goalie in the crest and Glass' shot trickled through the fiver. After that, it was all Manitoba.

I don't know what it is with the whole Sabres organization. The Florida prospects at least looked like they had something to play for. Although, I do think Whitmore will be an animal Friday night playing at home in front of family and friends.

I also wanted to say that the Amerks are playing this style I haven't seen before. When they are playing defense in their own zone, they only have 4 guys inside the blue line. They leave one forward out cherry picking between the red line and opposing blue line, which in turn makes the opposition have one guy back shadowing him. So it's basically a 4 on 4 situation when the Amerks are on defense. I think it's what led to the 2 early breakaways. After that it didn't come close to working.

Thanks, all very good info.. My highlighted points are something I have been wondering. I read in a couple articles over last couple weeks some things about why the 2 teams do not work that lines up to your observations...

First I still believe the Sabres supply the coaches for amerks even though we split team , correct ? In past when it was just our team we could rely on Cunney coaching the player and style to fit what Lindy was doing with the Sabs. When we needed a part we had a player familar with system who was playing it the best according to Cunney they would reward and send up. Worked pretty well from what I recall 2 seasons ago. Now that florida has 1/2 the team and they do NOT play our same system, what system does Cunney use, Ours theirs or a bastardized version? I think answer is C and why they look all out of kilter as well as don't do as well when first called up to the Sabs. Now they all realize why 2 team farm doesn't work because we don't get to develop the players entirely the way we want and neither do they and they aren't coming up as productive. IMO opinion another one of our problems this season that run deep.....

Thanks, all very good info.. My highlighted points are something I have been wondering. I read in a couple articles over last couple weeks some things about why the 2 teams do not work that lines up to your observations...

First I still believe the Sabres supply the coaches for amerks even though we split team , correct ? In past when it was just our team we could rely on Cunney coaching the player and style to fit what Lindy was doing with the Sabs. When we needed a part we had a player familar with system who was playing it the best according to Cunney they would reward and send up. Worked pretty well from what I recall 2 seasons ago. Now that florida has 1/2 the team and they do NOT play our same system, what system does Cunney use, Ours theirs or a bastardized version? I think answer is C and why they look all out of kilter as well as don't do as well when first called up to the Sabs. Now they all realize why 2 team farm doesn't work because we don't get to develop the players entirely the way we want and neither do they and they aren't coming up as productive. IMO opinion another one of our problems this season that run deep.....

This beings up a very scary thought. What if the Amerks had only been the Sabres affiliate again this year, like in the past? The team blows with players from both squads on it and the Sabres well of talent has long dried up. If it weren't for the Panthers players this year, the Amerks might not have won 5 games. I think Buffalo has been planning this divorce for a few years.

Archived