Too harsh on Zubrus??

MarkAF43

Did anyone else read this article on Zubrus? Granted the points are not coming for him the way many people expected ..... Still I think this was pretty harsh... He has been playing well and doing a lot of the little things that players need to do to win games, granted his impressive shot block last night was after this article was written but i still think it was kind of harsh :beer:

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local/local..._080233938.html

I'm surprised at all of the negative talk regarding Zubrus. I will agree that he isn't putting up huge numbers, but at the same he's been creating chances.

He works hard down low; really cycles the puck well. He has been using his size well. He's been killing penalties, blocking shots, and forechecking well.

He will continue to grow into the system. I think he looks stronger each game.

my bad... i thought the earlier post was referring to my derek roy comment.... so far Zubrus is playing pretty much the way i think the team wanted him... They didnt want him to come in and be a star and take over, and even Zubrus said it himself, I want to come in and do what I can to make the team better, he is helping that along

Watching Zubrus drop on the ice with the game on the line and take a slap shot off the body shows me that this guy is a Sabre. It takes courage and commitment to lie down in front of a puck. That shot just had to have left a mark.

We'll never know if that shot would have gotten through and beat Miller. What we do know is he instinctively sold out to block it. This man IS a Buffalo Sabre and I'm glad to have him.

I'm surprised at all of the negative talk regarding Zubrus. I will agree that he isn't putting up huge numbers, but at the same he's been creating chances.

He works hard down low; really cycles the puck well. He has been using his size well. He's been killing penalties, blocking shots, and forechecking well.

He will continue to grow into the system. I think he looks stronger each game.

I want to echo the above comment, by saying that I am surprised of all the negative talk about Zubrus. First of all, the article is from some schlep in Niagara Falls. Who cares what that schmuck thinks. There's obviously a reason that the author is still in Niagara Falls and not writing for a reliable sporting news.

Regarding Zubie, the first couple of games, I would say he looked lost. Based on the speed that the Sabres play with, you can't blame him. Since then, he found his groove, and he improves with each game. He plays solid D, especially on the PK. And on offense, he might not be finding the top shelf, but he is good at keeping the play alive. He reminds me of Hecht, in his ability to keep or gain possession of a puck. He uses his size and reach. He's not selfish...

The only knock I have seen thus fur, is that he is not overly aggressive on the boards. But that's a far cry from saying that he sucks. Lighten up!

wow - i dont think we are watching the same game. my view is he has been a big complement and brings things to the game that we needed on this team.

size - his size is huge on a our generally shrimpy team. We need some big bodies - the playoffs are a long haul.

puck control - he uses that size to control the puck - backing people off with his ass and picking his head up to see where to make a feed. I like him along the boards and behind the next, and notice that when he brings the puck into the O zone he holds people off with one arm and is able to control the puck with the other, maintaining possession.

Special teams - he is playing both penalty kill and PP.

Ice time - its clear that Lindy thinks he is playing well by the ice time he is receiving.

experience - he has been around the block in the nhl, knows how to play this game, and understands this team has a legit shot at a cup.

I'm very happy to have him, and hope to watch him raise the cup!

Go Sabes.

wow - i dont think we are watching the same game. my view is he has been a big complement and brings things to the game that we needed on this team.

size - his size is huge on a our generally shrimpy team. We need some big bodies - the playoffs are a long haul.

puck control - he uses that size to control the puck - backing people off with his ass and picking his head up to see where to make a feed. I like him along the boards and behind the next, and notice that when he brings the puck into the O zone he holds people off with one arm and is able to control the puck with the other, maintaining possession.

Special teams - he is playing both penalty kill and PP.

Ice time - its clear that Lindy thinks he is playing well by the ice time he is receiving.

experience - he has been around the block in the nhl, knows how to play this game, and understands this team has a legit shot at a cup.

I'm very happy to have him, and hope to watch him raise the cup!

Go Sabes.

Amen

Archived