Kaleta

niagara66

Smart move by Kaleta walking away from that fight in the 1st when (don't know his name) threw his gloves and offered battle. Got the entire Avs team off their game in their zone and resulted in a goal.

There were other minor instances too where he was able to get Avs players thinking "Kaleta" instead of "Hockey". Impressive presence of mind for such a young player. He also delivered a few hits when they were there and had a solid scoring chance.

Equally impressive was that Ruff, in his post game, was asked to comment on Kaleta's presence of mind and if it helped lead to the goal. Lindy didn't take the bait to praise him in a team loss.

To me Lindy sent a message. "He had his Home Town Boy coming out party, now he's a Sabre, like anyone else. He doesn't get special praise for doing his job and playing his style of game, that's what we pay him to do."

I like what I've seen from Kaleta. Depending on how much turnover there is in the offseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the running for a roster spot. He probably won't make it but I think he can make it close.

I like what I've seen from Kaleta. Depending on how much turnover there is in the offseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the running for a roster spot. He probably won't make it but I think he can make it close.

Everyone knows when he's on the ice.

He's been fun to watch.

Everyone knows when he's on the ice.

He's been fun to watch.

agreed. i'm not so sure if he's more of a poor man's peca, or a poor man's barnaby. either way, it's entertaining.

one p.s. - i was a the game last night and he *just* missed crushing one of the av's at full-speed (not in the way of neil or janssen). that would've been something to see.

So far this kid has impressed me. Doesn't take dumb penalties and plays hard. I'd take him over Andrew Peters HANDS DOWN. No second thought. Why do we need Peters when we have Kaleta?

Also, that was Ian Lapperiare that dropped the gloves to fight Kaleta last night. That was funny to see Kaleta skate away, while Ian looked like a fool on the ice. Plus Nate buries the long slapshot to add to the insult seconds later - beauty!

agreed. i'm not so sure if he's more of a poor man's peca, or a poor man's barnaby. either way, it's entertaining.

one p.s. - i was a the game last night and he *just* missed crushing one of the av's at full-speed (not in the way of neil or janssen). that would've been something to see.

Barnaby is the parallel that's been occuring to me too. From what I can tell, Kaleta plays a cleaner game in that he doesn't seem to use the elbow/stick/facewash the way Barnaby did. I also think he's a much better pure bodychecker -- he's just got the timing and the knack for delivering big, clean, solid hits. However, he certainly seems to agitate the opposing team the way Barnaby did.

So far this kid has impressed me. Doesn't take dumb penalties and plays hard. I'd take him over Andrew Peters HANDS DOWN. No second thought. Why do we need Peters when we have Kaleta?

I don't think keeping Kaleta means dumping Peters. I think we need both. I'd much rather have Peters get up close and personal with Chris Neil, Brian McGrattan and that CS from Colorado that leveled Jochen last night than Kaleta (and I think Lindy thinks so too). I also think between the cap going up and us having fewer free agents, Darcy will work the cap so next year we have enough room to carry an extra forward -- so we won't need to dress Peters as often as we did this year.

Also, that was Ian Lapperiare that dropped the gloves to fight Kaleta last night. That was funny to see Kaleta skate away, while Ian looked like a fool on the ice. Plus Nate buries the long slapshot to add to the insult seconds later - beauty!

He did take the penalty in the Habs game that breathed life into the opposition...

Maybe he realizes it and has toned it down... Maybe Lindy said something to him about that 5-3 situation during the Habs contest last week...??

I don't think keeping Kaleta means dumping Peters. I think we need both.

Right. Kaleta is not an enforcer, he's a middleweight and an agitator.

Besides that he has a savant type knack for finding the hits.

(plus he keeps sound positioning, which means he is disciplined. He may prove to be an asset.)

Archived