Shocking photo of Drury

bottlecap

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=45910

His eye looks horrible! Not to mention the concussion and the

32 stick scar. It looks like his peripheral vision at the very

least might be comprimised. How could they let him play like this?

We're doing fine without him. Rest him til the eyesight and

everything is completely clear. We'll need him for the playoffs.

I think it is ludicrous to let him play, in all honesty. Let him heal up to 100%. We have two games against Western conference teams on Wed and Fri, and our kids from Rochester are playing well and getting experience that could serve us well if we need to call them up in the playoffs. Look at his eye. Egad, if I looked like that, I would probably call in sick to my analyst job much less a job where I could be mortally wounded.

he broke a blood vessel around the white part of his eye. It looks 100x worse than it is. You can do that damage by coughing funny or from high blood pressure. There's zero pain and zero loss of vision. My mom did it a couple times when she had pneumonia. As for the exact nature of drury's injury? It sounds like it was head/eye problems associated with the cut and the bruise that caused symptoms that overlapped with concussion symptoms. In the end, if drury had a concussion at all, which i doubt, it was extremely mild at best. This is good news, because it does not put him into a pat lafontaine/tim connolly situation with a reoccurring concussion.

I doubt he would be playing if the Doctor's did not clear him.

You're making a whole lot of assumptions there, zed. Do you really think the Sabres would clear Dru to play if he has any problems with his eyesight?

Burst blood vessels in the eye are common following any sort of trauma and have no impact on vision. They look ugly as hell and take a long time to clear up (I had one following LASIK that lasted for about 6 weeks), but there's no danger.

Nobody wants to put ANY player -- much less a superstar -- out on the ice if he's at a disadvantage physically.

I had a burst blood vessel in college. Got hit in the eye with a lacrosse ball during warmups for a game (started a policy of always wearing your helmet during warmups). I was wearing hard contacts at the time. I thought it knocked the contact out of my eye, we looked on the field for about 10 minutes. I went to the locker room and looked in my eyes and found the contact off on one side. After removing the contact, rinsing it off and putting it back in, I played full shifts that night. My eye looked at least as bad as Drury's; I would venture to guess it even was worse.

As long as there was no damage to the parts inside his eye (lens, retina, etc..) then I'm sure his vision is fine. I had what they call a ruptured globe to my left eye from glass penetrating my eyeball. It detached my retina and now I don't see so well from that eye. It looked as bad, if not worse than Drury's pic but the funny thing was it never really hurt that much. It felt kind of like I had an eyelash stuck in my eye. I'm sure he is fine.

His eyeball might be like that for 6 months. When I was a kid I took a shot right between the eyes on my forehead that ended up being black and blue for a year.

It makes you wonder why in the world don't NHL players wear full facemasks? They're 45 years behind the NFL on this. It will be mandatory someday.

Full facemasks are for girls.

full facemasks...why don't we all just lock ourselves up in a bubble and never go outside...there might be germs...we might catch colds.

for god's sakes people buck up...its a hit...it was wrong...but he'll heal up...full facemasks would be horrible...

have you ever watched rugby or aussie rules football...now those are tough sports!

Full facemasks are for girls.

You do realize that Drury would probably not have missed any time if he was wearing a full facemask? I realize that you somehow lose your "hockey toughness" credibility when you wear a mask or visor, but honestly I wouldn't care if I were playing in the NHL. I'd wear a full mask. If I ever had to get in a fight I'd take the helmet off. In fact, when I play now I wear a full mask. Granted, I'm not getting in any fights but I don't give a rat's ass if somebody thinks I'm not tough because I wear a mask.

Most hockey purists would probably say that the more equipment you have the more careless players would get, but why would you not want to protect your face?

You do realize that Drury would probably not have missed any time if he was wearing a full facemask? I realize that you somehow lose your "hockey toughness" credibility when you wear a mask or visor, but honestly I wouldn't care if I were playing in the NHL. I'd wear a full mask.

Then wear one when you are on the ice. I've found they get in the way of vision and limit mobility, but that's just me.

If I ever had to get in a fight I'd take the helmet off.

Sure you would.

In fact, when I play now I wear a full mask. Granted, I'm not getting in any fights but I don't give a rat's ass if somebody thinks I'm not tough because I wear a mask.

Evidently you're more worried about your face than the game. I'm not.

Most hockey purists would probably say that the more equipment you have the more careless players would get, but why would you not want to protect your face?

If you are that worried about your face, why would you be playing hockey?

And it's no secret that with the advent of mandatory helmets, sticks are carried higher than ever since players literally have no fear of the stick. Drury's injury didn't come from a stick, it came from the ice.

Then wear one when you are on the ice. I've found they get in the way of vision and limit mobility, but that's just me.

Sure you would.

Evidently you're more worried about your face than the game. I'm not.

If you are that worried about your face, why would you be playing hockey?

And it's no secret that with the advent of mandatory helmets, sticks are carried higher than ever since players literally have no fear of the stick. Drury's injury didn't come from a stick, it came from the ice.

Unless you are a professional hockey player, why would you be more worried about the game than your face? So you're not concerned about losing your teeth during a Monday night beer league game? You get used to the mask pretty quickly.

I really don't care if somebody doesn't wear a mask, I just don't understand it. I don't think it should be mandatory to wear a mask.

If you're driving in a car, do you not wear a seatbelt because you're afraid that if you ever drive into a body of water you won't be able to quickly escape?

Unless you are a professional hockey player, why would you be more worried about the game than your face? So you're not concerned about losing your teeth during a Monday night beer league game? You get used to the mask pretty quickly.

I really don't care if somebody doesn't wear a mask, I just don't understand it. I don't think it should be mandatory to wear a mask.

If you're driving in a car, do you not wear a seatbelt because you're afraid that if you ever drive into a body of water you won't be able to quickly escape?

heres the pic of dru

post-1348-1173313417_thumbjpg

Archived