If Smyth can go because of money....

Monkeygirl

After watching Ryan Smyth's press conference on TSN.ca and seeing him cry like a baby at times, it is obvious that the players as individuals will almost always choose the money over staying with the team.

Some of you may say....duh, but Smyth did not want to leave and yet him and his agent (Meehan, I believe) wasn't willing to budge on their demands. He talked about how he thought Lowe should have dealt with it earlier in the season or after the season ended.

It's scary because we all have these fantastic thoughts that Briere, Drury or both will somehow choose a little less money to stay here. If only it were like that.

But I have enough confidence in Darcy and Golisano now to think they won't let BOTH walk away....

It's a tough tough choice though....

I think there was a general refusal to face facts on ALL sides in the Smyth case. The Oilers thought Smyth would give them a discount because he never wanted to leave Edmonton. Smyth thought the Oilers would pay him more than he was worth because of the public relations disaster that would ensue if they lost him. The fans thought the Oilers would do anything to keep him and that Smyth would never want to leave. I don't think either Darcy, Chris/Danny, or the rest of us here are laboring under those mistaken assumptions. We all know deep down we are probably going to lose one of them -- probably Danny IMO -- simply because we will not be able to fit them both under the cap. We also know that we may very well lose Chris as well because the Atlantic Division teams (except the Isles) will line up to throw money at him.

One thing that MIGHT make a difference here: this is a DAMN GOOD TEAM here with one of the best coaches in the business. Yes the Oilers made the Cup finals last year but they caught lightning in a bottle. They were an eight seed last year and they're not making the playoffs this year. The Sabres, on the other hand, may very well end up playing in their fourth conference finals in the last eight seasons this year and they're loaded for the future. Guys WILL take a little less -- not a lot, but a little -- to have a chance at the Cup. If they wouldn't do that, then we probably wouldn't want them here anyway.

If Gretzky, Orr & Holzinger can get traded no one is safe :D

It's a business and Smyth is a really good player. Far better players than Smyth have been dealt throughout the history of hockey. In the end it was Smyth's decision. A contract could have, maybe should have, been worked out. He may find being a smaller fish in a big pond is far different than being the King of Edmonton.

Drury and Briere should take time to think of the ramifications of signing a huge contract. The expectation can be staggering. Just ask A-Rod, Chris Gratton or Martin Lapointe.

As a converted believer of what the Sabres are doing here I have to wonder if Briere and Drury will find the same success they enjoy right now elsewhere. The talent and depth of this organIzation have shown brightly these past few weeks. As they say in other sports. Are the two captains "products of the system".

Just something to think about.

I think this (from TSN) is pretty crazy.

After 770 games with Edmonton, Smyth's ticket out of town was punched when the sides couldn't bridge what sources say was a US$300,000 a season financial gap on a five-year deal. It's believed the Oilers offered $5.4 million a season while Meehan was asking for $5.7 million.

That should be nothing for a player, but can be a lot to a team up against the cap.

It's scary because we all have these fantastic thoughts that Briere, Drury or both will somehow choose a little less money to stay here. If only it were like that.

I have never once thought Briere or Drury would EVER consider staying here for less money. Players work their entire career for an opportunity like thier's and they deserve whatever they end up getting.

I have never once thought Briere or Drury would EVER consider staying here for less money. Players work their entire career for an opportunity like thier's and they deserve whatever they end up getting.

You would hope that "opportunity" you are talking about would be a chance at the Stanley Cup. But we all know better :(

You would hope that "opportunity" you are talking about would be a chance at the Stanley Cup. But we all know better :(

Hockey players more than any other athlete, IMHO, are the most genuine and hardworking around. I think we can all agree that most of these players would cut off a limb for a stanley cup but UFA only comes around once or twice in their careers and I can't fault them for wanting to get what they are worth.

I think that whole deal is a crock. If he REALLYYYY wanted to stay in Edmonton.... $300,000 is NOT that much of a stretch for him to agree to the deal.

He wants to go for the most money, that's his business. But don't sit there in tears about how he had to go cause Lowe did him wrong.

PATHETIC

I think that whole deal is a crock. If he REALLYYYY wanted to stay in Edmonton.... $300,000 is NOT that much of a stretch for him to agree to the deal.

He wants to go for the most money, that's his business. But don't sit there in tears about how he had to go cause Lowe did him wrong.

PATHETIC

I think what we're missing here is that during these negotiations, Edmonton slid out of the playoffs.

At some point Lowe had to figure that he could pick up some prospects and continue contract negotiations with Smyth this summer.

So do you give the guy the extra 300 grand, and watch the first round of the playoffs with him at the local bar, or do you pick up some extra players, and give him the money in the offseason.

If the Sabres were in Edmonton's position, about to miss the playoffs, Drury and Briere would have been among the biggest names on the trading block this year.

PATHETIC

That is true, if $300,000 is what they were caught on in a $5.4 million (min.) contract, then Smyth and Lowe are both to blame. Its not like Smyth wanted 6, and the team only offered 3, or smyth wanted a 5 year contract, the Oilers wanted a 3 year deal. Don't start crying calling the other one out for being the reason nothing was worked out when they are so close on the numbers.

I think what we're missing here is that during these negotiations, Edmonton slid out of the playoffs.

At some point Lowe had to figure that he could pick up some prospects and continue contract negotiations with Smyth this summer.

So do you give the guy the extra 300 grand, and watch the first round of the playoffs with him at the local bar, or do you pick up some extra players, and give him the money in the offseason.

If the Sabres were in Edmonton's position, about to miss the playoffs, Drury and Briere would have been among the biggest names on the trading block this year.

This is exactly what I was thinking. How bad does this look for the Islanders if they go out in the first or second rd, and Smyth goes back to the Oil. I think was ceratinly a case where the agent wanted to to get to UFA status. I appluad Lowe for making this ballsy move. It would be the type of move I would hope darcy would make in the same situation.

BTW, I am not buying the $300,000 figure.

I don't think it's just the $300K. I think if Smyth hits the open market, someone will throw $7M per season at him. Smyth was giving up MORE than just $300K per season, more like $1.6M per season.

If teams start throwing $7 million at Smyth, this league is in serious, serious trouble.

If teams start throwing $7 million at Smyth, this league is in serious, serious trouble.

Tell us something we don't already know.

He's a tremendous leader, scores quite a few goals, and the owners just love guys like that. Someone will cough it up.

Tell us something we don't already know.

He's a tremendous leader, scores quite a few goals, and the owners just love guys like that. Someone will cough it up.

He's 30 years old and has never scored more than 66 points in a season. $5.5 million is stretching the limit with this guy.

My guess is that he re-signs with Edmonton for $5.4 million in the offseason.

He's 30 years old and has never scored more than 66 points in a season. $5.5 million is stretching the limit with this guy.

My guess is that he re-signs with Edmonton for $5.4 million in the offseason.

My guess is that Philly or Chicago will offer him 8 million per over 5 years. These teams are desperate .

Archived