Is there enough space for Connolly now?

Corp000085

by dropping biron's salary and picking up concklin and zubrus, it saves us $$ on the cap... is that enough money to allow connolly to come off of LTIR without having to send back EVEERYONE to rochester? We all know that tim's concussion/neck/jaw problems are over, and its just his leg. I think the salary dump was because connolly will be declared healthy in very short order. So, how do we sit against the cap right now and how do we sit against the cap if connolly is cleared tomorrow?

by dropping biron's salary and picking up concklin and zubrus, it saves us $$ on the cap... is that enough money to allow connolly to come off of LTIR without having to send back EVEERYONE to rochester? We all know that tim's concussion/neck/jaw problems are over, and its just his leg. I think the salary dump was because connolly will be declared healthy in very short order. So, how do we sit against the cap right now and how do we sit against the cap if connolly is cleared tomorrow?

WGR is saying that this is why Buffalo moved Biron in the first place. They weren't under and could not bring Connolly back as the cap stood. Now they can.

It's not a very clear situation. With all the injuries right now, not knowing who is or isn't on LTIR, I can't say whether or not they'd have to send certain people back down. At the end of the year though, activating everyone prior to the start of the playoffs, there is enough room for the full roster. Stafford would have to go back down, but they can call him back up for the playoffs.

It's not a very clear situation. With all the injuries right now, not knowing who is or isn't on LTIR, I can't say whether or not they'd have to send certain people back down. At the end of the year though, activating everyone prior to the start of the playoffs, there is enough room for the full roster. Stafford would have to go back down, but they can call him back up for the playoffs.

i'd just like connolly to be back AS QUICK as possible. That goes against the grain, as most would like him to come back as late as possible. Face it, if his head is ok, he's as ready as he's going to be. Hopefully 2 weeks in the pool got him into enough of shape to throw him out on the PP, PK, and a regular shift or two. The dude's leg should be healed up and ready to go. Maybe regier will enlighten us on his PC coming up on wgr.

i'd just like connolly to be back AS QUICK as possible. That goes against the grain, as most would like him to come back as late as possible. Face it, if his head is ok, he's as ready as he's going to be. Hopefully 2 weeks in the pool got him into enough of shape to throw him out on the PP, PK, and a regular shift or two. The dude's leg should be healed up and ready to go. Maybe regier will enlighten us on his PC coming up on wgr.

I'm sure Darcy will. As for getting him back as quickly as possible, I'm sure it can be done. They have enough flexibility right now to put a guy like Spacek or Max on LTIR to make any cap space needed to keep some of the Rochester guys up with the big squad right now.

Going by nhlnumbers.com, either Stafford or Paille will have to be sent down if Connolloy comes back before the playoffs (Gaustad should be listed as being on LTIR and his salalry no longer count against the cap by my understanding). That would put us at 43.673 million if Paille stays up or 43.935 million if Stafford stayed up over Paille.

Here are my lines assuming Connolly is activated and everyone else gets healthy...

Hecht - Briere - Pominville

Kotalik - Drury - Zubrus

Vanek - Connolly - Afinogenov

Paille - Roy - Mair

Scratch: Peters

Lydman - Tallinder

Spacek - Campbell

Numinnen - Kalinin

Scratch: Paetsch

Miller

Conklin

There's only room for 22 players on the roster without going over 44 million. Ryan Smyth instead of Zubrus (1.85 mil cap hit)would have been nice but Isles gave up 2 first round prospects plus a 1st rounder for a rental and I don't see how we could have squeeze Smyths 3.5 mil under the cap (someone on the team making 1.65 mil or so would have to have been moved) so Regier probably made the smarter deal.

I would like to have seen us get at least one other proven NHLer Defenseman today but we did get 2 more AHLers in Helbling & Lehtonen from Nashville - that leaves Sekera / Card & Funk as other Rochester depth.

At Forward, we have plenty of depth with MacArthur, Ryan, Kaleta & Mancari as recent callups assuming everyone gets healed & manages to play some before the playoffs start to shake the rust off (I'd hate to see Connolly try to get his conditioning back in the 1st round).

Finally, I wouldn't mind seeing Paetsch playing forward on the 4th line - maybe for Adam Mair just so we have someone to switch to D in case of a mid-game injury. We played a lot of playoff games last year with 5 or even 4 D and that's got to put a strain on them.

Here are my lines assuming Connolly is activated and everyone else gets healthy...

Hecht - Briere - Pominville

Kotalik - Drury - Zubrus

Vanek - Connolly - Afinogenov

Paille - Roy - Mair

Wow. That looks good. Maybe swap Connolly & Roy until Timmah is for sure all better. Speedy four line depth and the Drury Line can lock down the opposing top line for more top heavy teams. Over 7 games that lineup is tough to stop. If Vanek and Max get their scoring touch in the playoffs...look out.

Wow. That looks good. Maybe swap Connolly & Roy until Timmah is for sure all better. Speedy four line depth and the Drury Line can lock down the opposing top line for more top heavy teams. Over 7 games that lineup is tough to stop. If Vanek and Max get their scoring touch in the playoffs...look out.

If Max goes into a funk, or Connolly can't go full time, you still have Stafford and MacArthur who look like they can contribute. You might even sit Mair for Stafford for more offense on the fourth line.

Asking the Cap experts (of which I'm not one), after the playoffs start, we can recall Stafford and put him on the 4th line if desired right? How many other guys can come up? I'm assuming Stafford or Paille need to be sent down once Connolly comes up.

After the regular season ends there is no limit to the "salary" that the team can have on the active roster. And, as of today, there are no limits to how many bodies a team can have on the roster (provided the salary cap isn't violated).

The Sabres can't bring ALL of their prospects in Ra-cha-cha up when the playoffs start because Ra-cha-cha looks primed for a long playoff run of its own. I'd expect to see the Sabres keep 1 extra forward (not including Peters) on the initial playoff roster and adjust who's up based on what they are looking for on any particular night. I think Paille and Stafford are up for good (barring salary cap constraints), but don't think it will take long to call MacArthur up if there is an injury.

I haven't looked at what the Sabres new salary cap salary is, but most likely the Sabres will need to send all but 1 of the "Amerks" back down when Timmy's healthy until the end of the regular season. (Paille is injured, so he can't be sent down currently.) I'd guess that the Sabres would keep Paille over Stafford if both are healthy and 1 has to go down, but wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way.

Archived