Barry Melrose on sportscenter next

Claude Balls

OK, Melrose is officially an idiot. He must be drinking the ESPN kool-aid. First off, it's Peters, not "Petry." Now, his 2 dumbest comments:

1) "It definitely wasn't an elbow. It was a late hit but definitely not a dirty hit."

2) "Drury didn't have his helmet on properly and that's why he was hurt when he hit the ice."

Now someone please translate this garbage for me, because he's speaking a different language.

guys, it wasn't an elbow...i've TIVO'ed this a million times already and neil had his elbow down.

drury got hurt b/c it was a late hit, because his helmet came off, and probably the biggest reason not mentioned yet - because of the equipment that these guys wear these days. ask any old-school player and he will tell it is like body armor what they wear today compared to the old days. the shoulder pads are hard plastic and that only helped knock drury's bucket off.

Thank you Barry Melrose. Puts all the blame on Ottawa and says Ruff did exactly what he was supposed to do. Also said Murray was an idiot for putting his #1 line on the ice after that hit. Also called the hit "clean but late" that should have warranted a penalty. I still don't understand the helmet not on properly. Anyone in the league takes that hit with the shoulder to the mellon is going to lose their lid.

Your in Drury's shoes: you just shot the puck deep into the zone.. are you looking behind you for Chris "the NEIladertahl" Neil?? No your going in the direction of the play. Unlike that bozo the clown who's intent it was to single drury out with an unexpected hit... Does anyone now see it any more dirtier of a hit now?? I dont know how someone says "its clean!?!?!" I laugh at that bogus thought...

Thank you Barry Melrose. Puts all the blame on Ottawa and says Ruff did exactly what he was supposed to do. Also said Murray was an idiot for putting his #1 line on the ice after that hit. Also called the hit "clean but late" that should have warranted a penalty. I still don't understand the helmet not on properly. Anyone in the league takes that hit with the shoulder to the mellon is going to lose their lid.

Well that's the point. Ruff didn't have access to the slo-mo replay to time the hit and judge the height of Neil's elbow, or time to inquire about the condition of Drury's helmet.

He saw a borderline hit and his captain bleeding on the ice. If the ref called a penalty on the play, maybe the situation would have been diffused. When none was called, only Brian Murray and a Caniac couldn't see what was coming next.

Ah, so Barry said it was "clean but late" interesting...

Most players don't wear their chin strap tight. Drury is one of those guys and his chinstrap clearly came undone.

The helmet not on properly has been a long standing issue.

Most players have the chin strap on so loose it may as well not even be there. So in that sense, they are correct. When properly installed tight against the chin, the helmet doesn't go flying off so easily.

Well that's the point. Ruff didn't have access to the slo-mo replay to time the hit and judge the height of Neil's elbow, or time to inquire about the condition of Drury's helmet.

He saw a borderline hit and his captain bleeding on the ice. If the ref called a penalty on the play, maybe the situation would have been diffused. When none was called, only Brian Murray and a Caniac couldn't see what was coming next.

Ruff did what he had to do...........Maybe we can suit Robby Ray up for the Saturday game......... :beer:

Maybe it's just me, but in my book the math goes like this:

Late hit = dirty hit.

Exactly... That is why the NHL will never be a top-tier (in other's opinions of course) game...

Too damn wishy-washy... Nothing defines it (at times)... You can scratch your head at times and say: "Is this game really rigged?"

Too much latitude is given to the refs to call "different" games... And we aren't talking "strikes and balls" here...

The culture of the game is equally to blame...

Making a baseball comparsion... Hockey's version of a base on balls would be allowing a team' s best hitter to tee off on 10 pitches minus one of your outfielders...

Ah, so Barry said it was "clean but late" interesting...

Most players don't wear their chin strap tight. Drury is one of those guys and his chinstrap clearly came undone.

Would Murray have admitted that if it was one of his players that had their helmet knocked off because the strap was loose, ala every f*cking player in the league. Give me a break with this BS. Even you know every players helmet would have come off in that situation. You are really stretching tonight.

Would Murray have admitted that if it was one of his players that had their helmet knocked off because the strap was loose, ala every f*cking player in the league. Give me a break with this BS. Even you know every players helmet would have come off in that situation. You are really stretching tonight.

I do? God, you've got to get out of my head. There's not a whole lot of extra room up there with my "borderline personality disorder"(bob sauve just diagnosed me) and PTSD. AmSCRAY!

Archived