rough stuff

french connection

I'm new. I see a lot of criticism of Don Cherry, and those who dont like "European play". There were 2 great boom periods of hockey during my lifetime. One was during the late 70's, and the other was during the early 90's. Both those times were marked for toughness and fighting. Is fighting really a problem holding hockey back? Peters' fight was one of the highlights of tonight's game; did it diminish the experience? Sundin should be banished, not Peters.

I'm new. I see a lot of criticism of Don Cherry, and those who dont like "European play". There were 2 great boom periods of hockey during my lifetime. One was during the late 70's, and the other was during the early 90's. Both those times were marked for toughness and fighting. Is fighting really a problem holding hockey back? Peters' fight was one of the highlights of tonight's game; did it diminish the experience? Sundin should be banished, not Peters.

Did the Peters fight in anyway contribute to the outcome of the game? No. It's a complete waste of time. I took that time to grab a beer.

And wouldn't it have nice to have an actual forward on the ice early in the game when Pyatt made the nice play and sent the puck to the front of the net, instead of Peters. Does Peters stick have a blade on it?

Unless they are going to score the fights and add it to the final score then it's a waste of time. There are too many quality players who are still waiting their chance while the Andjuice Peters of the world discrace the NHL by wearing a jersey and stepping on the ice.

Did the Peters fight in anyway contribute to the outcome of the game? No. It's a complete waste of time. I took that time to grab a beer.

Deluca, now i know you have never played hockey in your life. To think I actually gave you some credit.

I grew up playing hockey and let me tell you Peters had a huge impact on the game and influenced a much cleaner game.

You are a complete idiot i can't believe you said that. Tell that to Wayne Gretzky that Semenko did nothing for his career

you are a bloody fool

ok deluca. it didnt add anything to the game. why did lindy sent peters out there then? why is he even on the team? is there not a more talented forward in the system? what do you do about the stick artists? hope they dont carve up your talent? hope they dont score? How do you stop it without the threat provided from guys like Peters? Why was Gretzky able to roam free? #%^$#!, why was the French Connection able to play like they did? It wasnt because their opponents liked to watch them skate....ask Korab, or Lorentz, or Schoney, or any number of real hockey players.

bottom line-----i look at hockey up to say, 92 or so, and hockey afterward. Its not the same game, although this year is better. When people talk about trying to improve the game, they invariably talk about fighting. I just dont think its the problem.

You want to talk about talent being able to shine. the funny thing is that talent was on display in the bad old 70's. its had much more trouble in the last 10 years. Is that due to increased fighting (which obviously isnt true), the increased viablilty of eurofags to use their sticks, or something else? thats the question i want to answer.

I'd greatly prefer to see Peters in the stands rather than on the bench, but I'll admit that the fight set the tone for the game. He stepped to a guy who has kicked his ass before, hung in there even though he was getting beat early in the fight, and eventually put McGrattan out of the game.

Here's the message that sent: "Hey, Ottawa: We know you out-muscled, out-hit, out-worked, and out-played us the last three meetings, but that isn't going to happen tonight. We're a different team now. Tonight, we're coming at you."

As for why he's dressed for the games lately: I'm not sure it's part of a strategy to keep an enforcer in the lineup; Gaustad can do that when necessary (as long as he doesn't have Hasek's blocker in his face). I haven't done the research, but my suspicion is that there's no one to bring up from Rochester who would clear waivers upon being sent back down when Briere & Connolly return. I would expect that when one of those guys comes back, Peters will return to his better-suited role of protecting Mika Noronen in the press box.

One other thing while mentioning Grapes and fighting in the same sentence, is he would have loved the way Peters put the gloves down after he knew he was hurt. I thought there was a time a few years back in the league where that 'unwritten rule' had been lost and a guy would pummel someone in to the ice. It was good to see Peters realize he hurt him and let up. I remember fights with guys like basil mcrae, kocur and even rayzor where they knew when to stop.

And wouldn't it have nice to have an actual forward on the ice early in the game when Pyatt made the nice play and sent the puck to the front of the net, instead of Peters. Does Peters stick have a blade on it?

Unless they are going to score the fights and add it to the final score then it's a waste of time. There are too many quality players who are still waiting their chance while the Andjuice Peters of the world discrace the NHL by wearing a jersey and stepping on the ice.

You're preaching to the choir. ;)

Give credit when it is due

Peters played a great "enforcer" game last night.

He won an early fight which nearly brought the roof down, and drew a big penalty late in the game.

I'm glad to have him on this team.

Peters does not qualify as an enforcer. Would he have won that fight if he wasn't juiced up? Not likely. I get the idea that Lindy feels sorry for him in some way and that's why he's around.

He's a waste of a roster spot and a waste of a post <_<

Peters does not qualify as an enforcer. Would he have won that fight if he wasn't juiced up? Not likely. I get the idea that Lindy feels sorry for him in some way and that's why he's around.

He's a waste of a roster spot and a waste of a post <_<

Dude, did Peters steal you bag of candy on Halloween or something?

Lindy feels sorry for him? At the NHL level? This isn't some Amherst Mite travel team that your friend's dad coaches.

Funny how you berate Peters for being "juiced up" yet you apparently idolize and quote a juiced up freak at the bottom of your posts ???????

Unless of course you don't believe wrasslers are doing the juice.

I thought peters was a valuable asset for us vs ottawa, he did everything he could to help this team, the fight gave us some momentum, he drew a penalty, and even seemed to have a couple decent shifts forechecking and in the offensive zone. I obviously dont expect or want him to be on the ice every night, but he provides something paille/novotny/etc cannot in certain situations.

Funny how you berate Peters for being "juiced up" yet you apparently idolize and quote a juiced up freak at the bottom of your posts ???????

Unless of course you don't believe wrasslers are doing the juice.

Actually he lost his hip joint and almost died if not for the liver of a young women. SBG did the damage before steroids were known to be bad. He had 20 years of antibolic use and it cost him alot. So if my distain for those who use today seems a bit hypocritical? Well that's something you'll just have to live with. ;)

I thought peters was a valuable asset for us vs ottawa, he did everything he could to help this team, the fight gave us some momentum, he drew a penalty, and even seemed to have a couple decent shifts forechecking and in the offensive zone. I obviously dont expect or want him to be on the ice every night, but he provides something paille/novotny/etc cannot in certain situations.

I couldn't disagree more. A fight between two cement heads means nothing. A well timed hit means tons more. I can think of two shifts were if the Sabres had a usefull forward on the ice it may have led to a goal. 2-3 minutes in when Pyatt sent a pass to the slot and Peters had no clue and another later in the period were a cycle was developing and Peters was clueless again.

You may be willing to give up scoring chances for a feel good story. I'm not. The "New" NHL is about talent and skill. Thank God.

;)

were not sayin peters shouldn't play hockey... just that he shouldn't do it in a sabres uniform...

Archived