Names on The Cup

El Chucko

When a team wins The Cup, who gets their name on it? Do you have to skate in the playoffs? Is there a minimum number of games you must appear in?

I don't recall what the exact rules are (it used to be something like 50 (or maybe 40) rs games or 1 finals game), but teams have been allowed a few exemption to them since the Strangers won in '94 and the league thought it was wrong that Eddie Olczyk didn't earn the right to have his name on the trophy because he's a really great guy apparently even though he only played 37 rs games and no games in the finals.

That was one thing that was really cool about the possibility of the Sabres winning in '99 if they ever finish game 6 and play game 7. IIRC, everyone who was a legit contributor on that team legitimately earned the right to have his name on the trophy assuming they ever finish that series.

It is at least 41 regular season games played and/or at least 1 Finals game. And yes, you are allowed to petition to get someone else on who doesn't meet the criteria.

That is the rule -- but the rule, it seems, can be observed in the exception/breach.

Take for example the case of Derek "Paper Crane" Plante.

linky

I won't get into the why's and wherefore's of my antipathy toward Mr. Plante -- I'll just state that as a predicate to what follows.

In 1999, neither Plante nor I played 41 games for the Dallas Stars, nor did either of us play a single game in the finals for the Stars.

Yet, while I do not have my name engraved on the Cup as a champion in 1999, Derek Plante inexplicably does. (I confirmed as much during a recent trip to Toronto.)

I've exchanged e-mails with a representative from the front office in Dallas, who indicated that the Stars made no petition for Plante's inclusion on the Cup.

This state of events continues to sicken, annoy and disturb me.

Dave - Just re-read your post; classic stuff on whether they'll ever "finish that series."

Archived