How to beat the Sabres

\GoBillsInDallas/

The natives are restless! Well, I am glad so many of us are seeing that there are some serious problems with this team and not denying it and calling people "chicken little." I think this team is having a hard time handling the expectations/getting too cocky thinking they can win on talent alone. Last year's team, as you all very well remember, wasn't expected to do anything and I think that fueled their motivation. Without that, there is a certain lack of desperation this year. Combine that with a weak defense, and say goodbye to Lord Stanley again. I have been the biggest advocate for adding at least one more defenseman who is physical and will move opposing forwards in front of the net. I've been saying that since we lost McKee in the offseason. I'm not saying get stupid and throw Kotalik out the door for Derian Hatcher or something, but there are younger guys out there that can be had. Look at Brent Seabrook of Chicago, for example. Big, young, tough, physical d-man. Chicago needs some forwards, so why not send one? It doesn't have to be a rent-a-player.

Every team we face plays us like its the Stanley Cup Finals. Yes, the other teams are out working us right now, it will pass. I dunno, half the people are screaming we are doomed if we win the Presidents Trophy and half are screaming we are doomed if we don't win every game. I think the team needs some tinkering, but I am happy taking this group into a playoff series.

When will this pass? Teams have been outworking us since late October/early November. When is the last full-game, 60-minute-effort this team put in?

The loss last night had nothing to do with soft D and more to do with the inability to bury chances and put the BJ's away in the 2nd when they had the chance.

Yes and no. Not burying chances hurt a lot - if Paille scores on the breakaway or the ensuing PS; if Kotalik doesn't whiff on a one-timer; if Vanek can get the puck up over Norrena, then it's a different game going into the 3rd. Who knows how Columbus responds, or how we play the 3rd if we're up 3-1 or 4-1...

But none of that excuses the 3rd period effort, the inability to move ANYONE from in front of our net, or the forwards and defensemen who peel off quicker to avoid checks.

I'd take that Adam Foote in a second. He is a big mean MF! He's been in the league a long time, too.
I would too. He wouldn't have to play the type of minutes he is playing in Columbus, and he would bring a much-needed nasty streak to the blueline.

I'm not chicken little, the team is doomed, anything like that - with this roster, I can see them winning one, two rounds in the playoffs. But I am starting to seriously wonder if this team is physically and/or mentally tough enough to go through 4 rounds, 16 wins. I will be seriously disappointed if we don't make a move, though.

The natives are restless! Well, I am glad so many of us are seeing that there are some serious problems with this team and not denying it and calling people "chicken little." I think this team is having a hard time handling the expectations/getting too cocky thinking they can win on talent alone. Last year's team, as you all very well remember, wasn't expected to do anything and I think that fueled their motivation. Without that, there is a certain lack of desperation this year. Combine that with a weak defense, and say goodbye to Lord Stanley again. I have been the biggest advocate for adding at least one more defenseman who is physical and will move opposing forwards in front of the net. I've been saying that since we lost McKee in the offseason. I'm not saying get stupid and throw Kotalik out the door for Derian Hatcher or something, but there are younger guys out there that can be had. Look at Brent Seabrook of Chicago, for example. Big, young, tough, physical d-man. Chicago needs some forwards, so why not send one? It doesn't have to be a rent-a-player.

Chicago is NOT making the playoffs this year (and probably not next year either). Why would they trade a 21 year old defenseman with a ton of potential for anything other than Miller or Vanek (neither of which the Sabres would give up for him)?

Chicago is NOT making the playoffs this year (and probably not next year either). Why would they trade a 21 year old defenseman with a ton of potential for anything other than Miller or Vanek (neither of which the Sabres would give up for him)?

That's right, they aren't making the playoffs again. They need scoring. They have another kid coming up, Cam Barker, who is sure to be a fixture on that blueline. They can afford to move a guy like Seabrook if it means picking up a scorer. This is all speculation, however, neither you or I know what is being offered and who is available, I am just saying that is the kind of move that I'd like to see.

That's right, they aren't making the playoffs again. They need scoring. They have another kid coming up, Cam Barker, who is sure to be a fixture on that blueline. They can afford to move a guy like Seabrook if it means picking up a scorer. This is all speculation, however, neither you or I know what is being offered and who is available, I am just saying that is the kind of move that I'd like to see.

Chicago is nearly $4MM under the cap right now, and the cap is rumored to go up by $4MM next year. Why would they have to give up a large portion of their future when they can improve their scoring via free agency in the off season?

When healthy the Sabres have 7 NHL caliber D-men on the roster. We all believe that due to the potential for injuries that may not be enough (thus your desire to see Seabrook with an abominable snot smear across his chest (I would not have a problem with that either)). So why would Chicago say we only want 1 young stud on the blue line? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Seabrook wearing blue and gold. I just don't see that being realistic based on Chicago's timeframes, Buffalo's timeframes, and Seabrook's age/development.

Every team we face plays us like its the Stanley Cup Finals. Yes, the other teams are out working us right now, it will pass. I dunno, half the people are screaming we are doomed if we win the Presidents Trophy and half are screaming we are doomed if we don't win every game. I think the team needs some tinkering, but I am happy taking this group into a playoff series.

This is exactly what is happening. Every team plays against us like their hair is on fire and we have not been matching that intensity. Having 30 wins at the mid-point of the season I believe cost this team it's mental edge. I am a Blue Jackets season ticket holder and I have to tell you that the third period against the Sabres is the best I have seen Columbus play ALL YEAR. We are getting every team's best shot and that's the way it's going to be from here on out. It's easier to climb the mountain then stay on top once you get there. While not many teams can match the Sabres talent, every team has the potential to outwork them. There are probably no more than 4-5 guys on the jackets roster that could make the Sabres roster, but you sure couldn't tell from that game.

There is NOT a lot of help on the horizon(2 to 3 years) in terms of players the Sabres have drafted in terms of grit and toughness either in the forward or blueline ranks. Darcy is ALL about the finesse type of player and sooner or later it is going to come back and haunt him. You need a balance of both types of players and right now the Sabres are top heavy in finesse and short on grit.

I know anything can happen in the playoffs(especially if Miller can get really hot), but I would not be surprised to see the Sabres get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round.

PS Darcy needs to make some moves in the offseason to get the needed balance. If it means Briere, Vanek or Max need to go, then so be it. I would rather have a gritty player who can score 25 goals and 60-65 points. Same goes for the blueline. Sacrifice the smooth skating dman who has offensive upside for the gritty stay at home blueliner who may be a liability in some ways, but will go through a wall and do whatever it takes to win a game when the going gets tough come playoff time.

i have nothing to add beyond what blue said.

other than to give a shout-out here to labatt usa for moving its HQ to buffalo.

Archived