Ouch...

Ramsey05

How exactly did Miller cost them that one? 2 breakaway goals and 1 he didn't see? Compare that to Marty's softie and bonehead play...Yep definately Miller's fault.

Why do you always apologize for Miller? He had a rough night. You can't have it both ways. Either he's awesome on breakaways and making the timely saves (he is) or when he gets beaten on them, he deserves the criticism. The Sabres game is predicated on the goaltender standing on his head to some extent -- and when it doesn't happen, it's glaring. Marty was truly atrocious though. I kind of thought we'd see Marty start tonight and despite how he played it might have been a different if he had.

Why do you always apologize for Miller? He had a rough night. You can't have it both ways. Either he's awesome on breakaways and making the timely saves (he is) or when he gets beaten on them, he deserves the criticism. The Sabres game is predicated on the goaltender standing on his head to some extent -- and when it doesn't happen, it's glaring. Marty was truly atrocious though. I kind of thought we'd see Marty start tonight and despite how he played it might have been a different if he had.

He is not going to stop every breakaway. I am not saying Miller was stellar. But the loss tonight was not his fault.

The constant odd man breaks, one way or the other, are coming back to bite us. We also have too many injuries and it throws our game off. Other coaches are starting to figure us out. I'm afraid we're small and fast, which is great for the new NHL, but we're also fragile. These two goalies we have are not great goalies. Miller is good, especially at crunch time, if we're still in the game. But he lets in too many goals to be considered great. Biron is good too, but let's say he isn't the brightest bulb. We definitely have to do something to stabilize the D with a big rough guy. Our D has looked downright bad these last couple games. I'm worried about Teppo.

Everytime I read another newspaper describe us as "the best" or "one of the top two or three in the league" it sounds like the kiss of death.

How exactly did Miller cost them that one? 2 breakaway goals and 1 he didn't see? Compare that to Marty's softie and bonehead play...Yep definately Miller's fault.

I cannot describe how sick I am of Marty.

I know the entire team was responsible for the loss last night, but for ONCE I'd just like to see him be solid, and not allow a softie. And when did anything good EVER come out of him leaving the net?

I'm picking on Marty beause the remaining players have some credit in the bank, having played well most of this seaon.

Marty's been like this for years, he's a two mill. dollar backup who flat out blows. I don't CARE how many games he's won this season and last season, the team won those for him, not the other way around. You can get Marty-level goaltending for half his pricetag!

The numbers are clear - with Miller in net, they need to score 3 goals in order to win. When Marty's in, they need 4.

Don't care if we play a high-risk/high-reward type of game, if we trapped the hell out of the opposition every night, he would still be allowing softies and making bonehead plays. Always were, always will be.

End of rant.

I agree. I actually thought Lindy's hook was a little quick considering the goals that were scored. I wonder if Miller had stayed in the game in the Sabres fate would have been any different?

The constant odd man breaks, one way or the other, are coming back to bite us. We also have too many injuries and it throws our game off. Other coaches are starting to figure us out. I'm afraid we're small and fast, which is great for the new NHL, but we're also fragile. These two goalies we have are not great goalies. Miller is good, especially at crunch time, if we're still in the game. But he lets in too many goals to be considered great. Biron is good too, but let's say he isn't the brightest bulb. We definitely have to do something to stabilize the D with a big rough guy. Our D has looked downright bad these last couple games. I'm worried about Teppo.

Everytime I read another newspaper describe us as "the best" or "one of the top two or three in the league" it sounds like the kiss of death.

Actually I think Miller would be considered one of the best in the league if he played for a team who didn't play such a high risk game. Put Miller on the Devils or the Wild and his numbers would be ridiculious.

EDIT: The Sabres would not be able to play their style of hockey without Miller. The defensemen would not be able to pinch as much, and the transition game would suffer. Yes, he gives up more goals than some of the other goalies who are considered great. But he is also left on his own a lot more than those goalies. Everyone considers Brodeur one of the best that has ever played. If Brodeur is great, and Miller lets in too many goals, how come Miller had a better SV% last year? How come before last night Brodeur had a .001 advantage in SV%? Over the last 2 years they have put up pretty similar numbers. Throw in the fact that the Sabres play a riskier game and your argument makes even less sense.

Every team hits some rough patches during the season. The only difference is that we've still managed to maintain a winning record during our rough patch, which clearly isn't over yet.

Let's face it, we haven't played well at all since October, yet we keep winning. That's pretty sick.

That said though, I sure hope Lindy has something up his sleeve, cause if they try and play this style in the playoffs, it's a first round exit.

Clutch-and-grab returned for the playoffs last year along with interference, and I don't see why it wouldn't again this year.

I'm afraid our style of play won't be suited for a clutch-and-grab playoff.

I cannot describe how sick I am of Marty.

I know the entire team was responsible for the loss last night, but for ONCE I'd just like to see him be solid, and not allow a softie. And when did anything good EVER come out of him leaving the net?

I'm picking on Marty beause the remaining players have some credit in the bank, having played well most of this seaon.

Marty's been like this for years, he's a two mill. dollar backup who flat out blows. I don't CARE how many games he's won this season and last season, the team won those for him, not the other way around. You can get Marty-level goaltending for half his pricetag!

The numbers are clear - with Miller in net, they need to score 3 goals in order to win. When Marty's in, they need 4.

Don't care if we play a high-risk/high-reward type of game, if we trapped the hell out of the opposition every night, he would still be allowing softies and making bonehead plays. Always were, always will be.

End of rant.

Wow...and I can't disagree with most of that. For me, the biggest difference between the two is this - with Marty, I never feel like a lead is safe, while with Ryan, I know that the opposition will usually have to beat him cleanly, scoring "quality" goals - if there is such a thing - I don't worry about him gving goals away regularly.

Actually I think Miller would be considered one of the best in the league if he played for a team who didn't play such a high risk game. Put Miller on the Devils or the Wild and his numbers would be ridiculious.

EDIT: The Sabres would not be able to play their style of hockey without Miller. The defensemen would not be able to pinch as much, and the transition game would suffer. Yes, he gives up more goals than some of the other goalies who are considered great. But he is also left on his own a lot more than those goalies. Everyone considers Brodeur one of the best that has ever played. If Brodeur is great, and Miller lets in too many goals, how come Miller had a better SV% last year? How come before last night Brodeur had a .001 advantage in SV%? Over the last 2 years they have put up pretty similar numbers. Throw in the fact that the Sabres play a riskier game and your argument makes even less sense.

Good points. Thinking back, and not making any comparisons between the teams/goalies, but...Grant Fuhr's time with Edmonton comes to mind. His lowest (full-season) GAA with the Oilers was 3.43; his best full-season SV % was .881. His greatest asset to the team was not only his ability to make timely saves, but that he allowed the team to freewheel, play their style, and keep attacking, and that's the feeling I think the Sabres get when #30 is between the pipes.

Wow...and I can't disagree with most of that. For me, the biggest difference between the two is this - with Marty, I never feel like a lead is safe, while with Ryan, I know that the opposition will usually have to beat him cleanly, scoring "quality" goals - if there is such a thing - I don't worry about him gving goals away regularly.

Good points. Thinking back, and not making any comparisons between the teams/goalies, but...Grant Fuhr's time with Edmonton comes to mind. His lowest (full-season) GAA with the Oilers was 3.43; his best full-season SV % was .881. His greatest asset to the team was not only his ability to make timely saves, but that he allowed the team to freewheel, play their style, and keep attacking, and that's the feeling I think the Sabres get when #30 is between the pipes.

For starters, always take what the national media says with a grain of salt. But from listening to Home Ice XM204, you often hear that Miller is better than his stats. This is from hosts and people they interview. It is easy to just look at the box GAA and SV% and say Miller puts up average numbers, so he must be average. But it's just not the case. The team plays a style where they are going to give up a lot of goals. But without a goalie like Miller, they would not be able to play this style, and they would not score as many goals.

There is statistical proof that Miller is much better than average. If you get a chance, check out THN's fantasy guide for this year. They have a lot of stats you won't find elsewhere. One of those stats is Short handed SV%. Miller was tied for 1st with Lundqvist last year. So when the team in front of him is playing a more conservative game, he puts up the big numbers.

Archived