I'm not usually a referee basher...

SDS

How can they call that a "hook" on Briere *the breakaway) when his stick never actually hooked him. It just tapped his his side, yet Paetsch can crosscheck a guy to the ice and that doesn't get called....

Just brutal.

I totally agree. That game was tough to watch, especially the first part of the first period. Virtually all those penalties where barely penalties at all, yet when Sabres got mugged... nothing. Hard to understand and frustrating as hell to watch.

It evened out eventually, more or less, but then they stopped calling things that *were* there. I hate when they don't call a consistent game.

And CI had the Toronto coverage, so they were talking about how terrible the Sabres were instead of how bad the calls were early in the game. Later on, they did get on the refs some (strangely, when they started making calls that favored the Sabres.... imagine that!)

That was the worst reffing since Nick Magoo screwed up the Dallas-Edmonton game earlier this season. (He missed an obvious goalie interference on the first Dallas goal, then blew the play dead on a hand pass at the end of the game when the Oilers clearly never touched the puck, which cost them the tying goal.)

Favorite line from the Toronto Sun on last night's game:

"The Leafs and Sabres set some kind of record for puzzled looks and waving arms in disgust at the referees. "

Honorable mention:

Toronto coach Paul Maurice carefully manouvred around the same question.

"I thought both teams did a good job mentally handling things they had to handle," he said. "But we came in here without our big guy (Mats Sundin), got down and battled back like SOB's. I'll take that game over (Monday's win against the Islanders).

"There was a lot of cursing and swearing on the bench and that's usually an indication of the intensity level."

There were 15 power plays, eight for the Sabres, seven to the Leafs and the teams split four goals. Referees Brad Meier and Dean Morton were giving no quarter where the statute on hooking was concerned, calling it 10 times, even when no foul was evident.

"The Sabres know we have a different team and a different mentality in here," Kaberle said. "They're feeling us a lot more than before."

"However, they still have lost 48 times in 75 games on this side of the Peace Bridge."

I'm usually a basher and last night was as poor a performance as I've seen.

The only penalty early against us I had a problem with was Spacek's. If you're going to call "THAT", you might as well play 3-on-3 because touching someone with the stick is part of the game. Goose's penalty was stupid and lazy, which the T.O. announcers correctly pointed out.

After they basically gift wrapped them 2 goals, they decided to swallow the whistles until the crowd basically goaded them into making some calls. Ridiculous.

I do agree that the calls evened out some over the game, which is actually code for "the officiating sucked nearly equally."

Archived