The Cost for a Toronto game just went up - for Canadians!

Pullup Champ

This should be interesting.....

WASHINGTON - Nearly all air travelers entering the U.S. will be required to show passports beginning Jan. 23, including returning Americans and people from Canada and other nations in the Western Hemisphere.

The date was disclosed Tuesday by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff in an interview with The Associated Press. The Homeland Security Department plans to announce the change on Wednesday.

Until now, the department had not set a specific date for instituting the passport requirement for air travelers, though the start had been expected to be around the beginning of the year. Setting the date on Jan. 23 pushes the start past the holiday season.

Under a separate program, Homeland Security plans to require all travelers, including Americans, entering the U.S. by land or sea to show a passport or an alternative security identification card starting as early as January 2008.

The requirement marks a change for Americans, Canadians, Bermudians and some Mexicans.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061122/ap_on_...ts_air_travel_7

The cost?? $97.00 every 4 years...$25.00 additional if you want to com from Toronto to get a cheap game.... :nana:

This should be interesting.....

WASHINGTON - Nearly all air travelers entering the U.S. will be required to show passports beginning Jan. 23, including returning Americans and people from Canada and other nations in the Western Hemisphere.

The date was disclosed Tuesday by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff in an interview with The Associated Press. The Homeland Security Department plans to announce the change on Wednesday.

Until now, the department had not set a specific date for instituting the passport requirement for air travelers, though the start had been expected to be around the beginning of the year. Setting the date on Jan. 23 pushes the start past the holiday season.

Under a separate program, Homeland Security plans to require all travelers, including Americans, entering the U.S. by land or sea to show a passport or an alternative security identification card starting as early as January 2008.

The requirement marks a change for Americans, Canadians, Bermudians and some Mexicans.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061122/ap_on_...ts_air_travel_7

The cost?? $97.00 every 4 years...$25.00 additional if you want to com from Toronto to get a cheap game.... :nana:

I doubt many Leaf fans are coming to the game by airplace! :)

It is also going to screw the Sabres too when Canadian Sabres fans like myself have to pay that same amount.

Not every canadian coming across to the Sabres games are Leafs fans (some of us can stand them). And with the team being so close to the border and trying to tap into the Southern Ontario market, it also hurts the team too. Although an extra $97 every 4 years isn't going to kill most people or keep them from crossing the border.

Another Blue please! :beer: .... Read the article.... the "airplace" part is only in the first line....

Yeah it may hurt fans... the fans who sell the Leaf Fans tickets on Ebay.

Sorry, I see this as a good thing! :thumbsup:

Why don't you just build a giant wall along the Canadian border too, this way any Leafs fans that do get ahold of tickets can't get in and you can make sure the arena is 100% Canadian free

Exactly, I live closer then most fans on here, the only difference is my trip is slowed having to go over a big bridge and through a border crossing. (Its only a 30 minute drive to the arena from my house, without counting the time I sit at the border) and sadly it is still considered a Leafs region (mostly because they are shown on TV here and not Buffalo since we get alot of Toronto Station Feeds)

The Leafs fans may get tickets and come over, but its the fault of the Sabres fans for not snatching these up sooner, or for selling them instead of attending the game so they can make up their season ticket costs

It transcends hockey, too. It's downright horrible for the economies on both sides of the border.

Right now it hurts Buffalo more because Canadians are more likely to cross over and go to the Galleria to go shoping then an American coming over to the Pen Centre (local Mall in St. Catharines) to go shopping. Unless the Canadian dollar becomes more valuable then the US, It will always hurt the American side more.

But hey, it keeps you safer from all those Canadian Terrorist that keep trying to come across the border and blow up the peace bridge

Any money coming into Buffalo from elsewhere is a good thing. I've been to many a Sabres/Leafs game at HSBC and I can attest to the fact that Leafs fans buy a lot of beer, which brings in $$$ for the Sabres and doesn't drain the wallets of Joe Buffalonian. :beer:

Seriously, as heated as the rivalry is, it's great for hockey and great for the Sabres to have fans that so invested. Maybe they'll reward us with an outdoor Sabres/Leaf game at the Ralph one of these years.

Right now it hurts Buffalo more because Canadians are more likely to cross over and go to the Galleria to go shoping then an American coming over to the Pen Centre (local Mall in St. Catharines) to go shopping. Unless the Canadian dollar becomes more valuable then the US, It will always hurt the American side more.

But hey, it keeps you safer from all those Canadian Terrorist that keep trying to come across the border and blow up the peace bridge

First paragraph: Not really. I'm sitting in a room with four bookcases from a Canadian IKEA (hey, I need four bookcases; I can't afford four expensive ones). I love a trip to Toronto for real clothes shopping a couple of times per year, and yes, once a year, my fellow college alums and I do take a trip across the border to watch some "culture." I have friends with summer homes over the border who invite me all the time, and I'm interested in curling, which I can't do in B-Lo. The golf in Southern Ontario is good, and I like to go for that. There's the Shaw Festival, too. That's a lot of spending--just from one person--on your side of the border. It hurts us both, unfortunately.

Second paragraph: I know you're being sarcastic, and I know that I have faith in BOTH countries' border personnel to identify and detain problematic individuals.

Bottom line: there are only two cross-border communities that I know of (Buffalo-Greater Niagara and Detroit-Windsor)--perhaps there are more that I don't know--that really care about this, and both should be putting up a big fight. Neither is, and we'll all lose a bit as a result.

EDIT: And Greaves! Where in the US, or even the known world, is there the equivalent of Greaves? Another reason to spend money in Canada.

Archived