This Day in Sabres History: November 16th

PASabreFan

November 16, 1980

For the first time since October 11, 1972, a hockey game in Buffalo is not sold out. The empty seats miss a dandy as the Sabres crush the Quebec Nordiques 8-1.

November 16, 1991

At Calgary, Flames' defenseman Jamie Macoun breaks new Sabre Pat LaFontaine's jaw with his stick. Having lost several teeth and having suffered a severed facial artery, LaFontaine is taken to a Calgary hospital where he spends the night. Donald Audette scores with Macoun in the penalty box with 59 seconds to go in the third period as the Sabres win the battle 5-4 but lose the war. Macoun receives only a four-game suspension from the league. LaFontaine misses 13 games.

November 16, 1995

The Sabres' rebuilding effort continues as they trade defenseman Doug Bodger to San Jose for Vaclav Varada, Martin Spanhel and a first- and fourth-round pick in the 1996 draft.

November 16, 1980

For the first time since October 11, 1972, a hockey game in Buffalo is not sold out. The empty seats miss a dandy as the Sabres crush the Quebec Nordiques 8-1.

Wow, eight years of sellouts... May this year be the start of a similar run...

10/11/72 to 11/16/80 - my teenage years.

As soon as the roof was raised and oranges added attendance for the Sabres became 16,433 if I remember correctly.

i'd love a nice photo album of old interior aud pictures... i've used google and come up with a couple, but a big gallery would be awesome (don't ask me to put it up though... my gallery here of my playoff pictures is 2 months in the making!)

Archived