The Urban Legend of Crazed Sabres' Fans

eball

Echoing what I saw in games 1 and 5. Game one was an afternoon game lots of partying and drinking going on by both side. Most activity before the game was Civil. There were fans from both sides giving each other grief in the halls of the 3 level and alot of time during intermission there was alot of lets go buffalo chanting going on. Also in ame 1 at 18Min mark of first we started the lets go bfflo chant and were heard on every TV across the nation. After the game again most activity was civil however there were jerks yelling sprebowl losers, go back to buffalo etc. we continued to walk along with other canes fans and just ignored the arse holes. Also noticed some sabres fans acting like arse holes as well. G5 different story it was clear that the urban legend was spreading. However the ONLY incident I saw myself was acanes fan with hockey stick smaking a sabres fan(with a canes girlfriend ) in the head with the stick.

After that game my wife decided she will NEVER ever go to another game at RBC ( note she was a big canes fan until the ECFs last year ). We had attended Canes games from early days in greensboro not just sabres games but big ones Like Gretsky final tour etc since you could easily get player autographs. After the move to RBC we would go to about 20 games a year we had free tickets from Pepsi dist and could move to the best seats in the house on any given night. We became canes fans but ALWAYS routed for Sabres when they came to town. AFter the series I gave a friend of mine the canes jersey someone from pepsi ave me a few years back. I almost burned the damn thing but didnt. But we will never root for the canes again and its not cuz they won and we didnt it was because of the attitude we saw change with the canes fans.

After G5 I decided to go to local bar to watch the game since didnt want to be involved in the g5 crap. During second intermission I go to bathroom and a bucnch of readnecks are threatining me if I dont quit cheering for sabres ( remeber we were up at that point) One person even said if we "canes" lose I will kick your ass back to buffalo. Note I was one of 2 sabres fans in the bar and we just cheered when sabres scored. Plus most of tables around us we just talked about how good the series was.

Didnt go monday night since I was concerned about my foot getting stepped on since I had recently had surgery plus really cant walk more that 20 yards at a time. I listen to sabres broadcast on internet and only noticed a few camera shots of sabres fans on FSS at end of game, seemed very civil. Yes I get words from Carolina fans all the time about how bad we buffalo fans are and my usual response was there are arse holes from both sides that caused issus duirng the ECF's.

There's another thing I love. All those superbowl comments from another city that has never won a superbowl really stings. :rolleyes:

I got the Norwood / Super Bowl stuff from Canes fans a lot. I would then fire back about John Kasay kicking the ball out of bounds against NE in the Super Bowl. More often than not I'd get back: "I'm not a Panthers fan". Gee, there's a shocker! :doh:

I got the Norwood / Super Bowl stuff from Canes fans a lot. I would then fire back about John Kasay kicking the ball out of bounds against NE in the Super Bowl. More often than not I'd get back: "I'm not a Panthers fan". Gee, there's a shocker! :doh:

That lost the Super Bowl for the Panthers. Giving Brady the ball at the 40 was a killer. At least Norwood had a difficult kick on grass outside. Kasey was indoors, just kick the ball straight.

There's another thing I love. All those superbowl comments from another city that has never won a superbowl really stings. :rolleyes:

Even though I don't like Dan Snyder, I can't hate the Redskins because their fans were REALLY cool after SBXXVI.

After the next SB, I will always place the Pokes in my top 3 disliked teams. Their idiot fans came out of the stadium chanting "3 beat", not we're champs or something celebrating their team. They came out dumping on my team. Kind of like the IDIOT on TSW that posted about how horrible the Sabres and their fans were the night the Oilers lost game 7. If your team wins, enjoy it, celebrate it, but don't make the focus MY team (especially when they aren't even playing :doh: ); make it your team.

Most of the peabrains at SBXXVII had no idea what I was talking about when I told them I'd figure they'd be cheering their victory rather than their last loss in a SB to Pittsburgh.

Based on last season and the idiocy that showed up on Canes boards (I was at 3 games, but all of them in the Mmarena, so I can't comment directly on the RBC goingons), I place the Canes in the same bucket I put the Loafs and Phlyers. (If the Sabres are going to go 16-66, make sure the 16 W's come against those 3 teams.)

Reverend Johnson: "Now I don't have to tell you good folks what's been happening in our beloved little town. Sheriff murdered, crops burned, stores looted, people stampeded, and cattle raped. The time has come to act, and act fast. I'm leaving."

Let me add this- I was at game 5, and i totally disagree with the Carolina fans.

Buffalo fans had lots to drink, we came to party and have like a festival type of thing. I did see Carolina fans yell at our fans to say we're too loud, too rowdy or what made me mad was "guys, it's just hockey". I saw a few arguements, didn't see any fights. In most cases, they all began when Carolina fans egged on the fans who were there, who didn't care what it cost them they just wanted to have fun.

I will also say, the police did not make things better. Police was very rough on many people, they took a funnel away from a group of 21 and over guys, they looked mad when and made a#$^$#!e comments to people when fans just made a joke, like want a beer, burger or wanted to give them a high 5 they were jerks about it, they didnt let people run with the cup thru the parking lot and even gave these kids a TICKET for running through the parking lot with the Cup, cuz the claimed the kids were running away from the cops.

But whatever. Carolina theory of a hockey game is a night out to relax, Buffalo fans were there to party, be loud and have fun. Obviously you will have your differences.

Archived