Should that have been a penalty shot?

wjag

Like a lot of rules, the penalty shot is really a discretionary call by the refs. Last night the play technically merited one being called. The play didn't look that flagrant to me. I think there have been more egregious things not called this year. So what's the standard? Vanek was able to shoot.

its a crap shoot on these calls........... :bag:

it is... one night that's a PS, the next night it's a hooking penalty, the following night it's not even called... However, it SHOULD have been called a penalty shot and the call was correct. vanek was all alone and his motion towards the net was impeeded by the defender's stick from behind. that's the definition of a PS.

now, if you want to get ticky tacky, briere was obstructed/cross checked to the ice on the 4th panther's goal. that goal should not have counted, and the sabres should have had a power play. I'm way more dissapointed in that non call than the fact that vanek didn't score on his PS.

That was such a blatant miss by the officials, Briere was mugged to the ice, the puck just so happens to come to the area Briere was assaulted away from and bingo, they score a goal. I can't help but think the play would not have gone the same if Danny is allowed to challenge the point man for the puck, instead of scrambling to his feet.

That was such a blatant miss by the officials, Briere was mugged to the ice, the puck just so happens to come to the area Briere was assaulted away from and bingo, they score a goal. I can't help but think the play would not have gone the same if Danny is allowed to challenge the point man for the puck, instead of scrambling to his feet.

Last night, I thought it looked more like it was just a collision where neither player saw each other coming until the last second. After watching it again this morning, I agree there maybe should've been an interference call on Florida. Maybe Briere's reputation for diving and the fact he stared at the referee as he flopped to the ice, had to do with the no call.

Vanek should have received the penalty shot. A couple years ago there would have been no call - they would have called it the legal and often used "stick check."

now, if you want to get ticky tacky, briere was obstructed/cross checked to the ice on the 4th panther's goal. that goal should not have counted, and the sabres should have had a power play. I'm way more dissapointed in that non call than the fact that vanek didn't score on his PS.

I have to say that I'm getting more frustrated each and every game. They're not calling this year anything like they did last year. I am constantly seeing interferance calls that go uncalled (perfect example was that fouth goal). The Sabre's play is suffering some (it's not an excuse for going to overtime with Florida) in recent games because of this. Has anyone else noticed?

It's even more frustrating because US Hockey has decided to call games this year throughout all levels like the NHL did last year. What kind of message is being sent to the youth in this country? Wait one year and you can go back to the old way? It's just not right.

Anyway, just had to sound off.

I have to say that I'm getting more frustrated each and every game. They're not calling this year anything like they did last year. I am constantly seeing interferance calls that go uncalled (perfect example was that fouth goal). The Sabre's play is suffering some (it's not an excuse for going to overtime with Florida) in recent games because of this. Has anyone else noticed?

It's even more frustrating because US Hockey has decided to call games this year throughout all levels like the NHL did last year. What kind of message is being sent to the youth in this country? Wait one year and you can go back to the old way? It's just not right.

Anyway, just had to sound off.

They have definitely eased up on the calls. Roy got blasted last night in the corner before he ever got to the puck. No call. Lots of interference is not getting called. Then again, the call on Roberts near the end of regulation was totally valid. Roberts accosted the officials after the game. I've always hated that guy. I hope he gets a nice big fine. A suspension would be even better!

Archived