How Important is Tallinder to this Team's Success?

ko12010

We've all know how balanced we are at every position. But is Tallinder by far our best defenseman. It just seems since he has been out that there have been so many more odd man rushes and break aways for the other team. I know we are in a great position so early in the season, but the rest of our defense has got to step it up. I mean, that Boston game was horrible. They were looking like our Sabres there for most of the game, skating by us like nothing. Same with the leafs. Now Max is gone for a few weeks at best.

Maybe a reshuffling of the defensive pairings is needed for a spark for our defense?

We've all know how balanced we are at every position. But is Tallinder by far our best defenseman. It just seems since he has been out that there have been so many more odd man rushes and break aways for the other team. I know we are in a great position so early in the season, but the rest of our defense has got to step it up. I mean, that Boston game was horrible. They were looking like our Sabres there for most of the game, skating by us like nothing. Same with the leafs. Now Max is gone for a few weeks at best.

Maybe a reshuffling of the defensive pairings is needed for a spark for our defense?

Many years ago we had a defenseman named Bill Hajt. Didn't score much, nobody really noticed him that often until he got hurt and the team started to struggle. Hajt reminds me a Tallinder in that way. Ya, I think he's an excellent defenseman and we miss him.

Many years ago we had a defenseman named Bill Hajt. Didn't score much, nobody really noticed him that often until he got hurt and the team started to struggle. Hajt reminds me a Tallinder in that way. Ya, I think he's an excellent defenseman and we miss him.

Billy Hajt old number 24 excellent comparison.............Unsung hero for sure............ :beer:

Say Doc, can't you help Carl Russo with those vericose veins? :D

I could but its not cheap, I had to double check Billy's number, the old memory was right, when he retired I joked to my friends that we should errect a statue for him, the Bill Hajt memorial statue......... :D

Hey it wasn't that many years ago. :beer:

Bill Hajt was out of position once in the 80's, that's it, just once.

FWIW... Sabres have won only two of the last seven games Tallinder has missed, and they've given up 25 goals.

I have said it before...Tallinder is one of (if not the) most underrated defenseman in the NHL. He is solid in his own end, is very mobile and moves the puck well. Sometimes the best defenseman are the ones you notice the least.

EDIT: Sometimes +/- is not a completely accurate stat, but considering who we played in the playoffs, and that Tallinder was always matched up against the top line, I think it says a lot that he was tied for the +/- lead at the end of the playoffs.

Archived