Reaction of Cardinal fans to World Series win

PASabreFan

I despise baseball, it being the antithesis to hockey. But I always make a point to tune in when a series is about to be decided, ideally the last pitch so I have to watch as little of that sporting abomination as possible. I love to see that moment when teams win championships, especially at home. Last night, I had to watch only three pitches before seeing the strikeout that gave St. Louis the series. At first, for maybe 15 seconds, the crowd was nuts. Then, oddly, they settled down. A minute later, panning shots of the crowd just showed what might be a normal reaction to big win. Some arms waving, some clapping. A minute after that, people were just basically standing around. Take away the fireworks and the confetti and the blaring music, and I don't think there would have been more than a low rumble of noise coming from the fans.

I fantasize about HSBC Arena in the minutes after Ryan Miller makes a glove save with three seconds to go to preserve a 3-2 lead and give the Sabres a Stanley Cup. I'm pretty sure another Jumbotron might crash to the ice. Insanity. But, now that I think of it, is it possible that such an event would be so stunning and shocking that you would open you mouth and only air would come out? You would try to lift your arms and they wouldn't move?

God, I hope we find out. :)

Baseball is so boring if your team isn't playing............... :blink:

i think baseball is boreing period.... especially on TV... i mean really... its all of 2 camera angles... mostly from behind the pitcher facing straight to the catcher and batter... its really redundent...

I had the same reaction watching it ... it didn't seem like a big deal at all.

It will be quite different in Buffalo if we are ever so lucky.

I watched games 2-5 of the World Series and I thought the St. Louis fans were nuts the whole time. Even more so because they were sitting in the rain.

On a side note, I think Buffalo fans give themselves a little too much credit. There are great, dedicated fans in LOTS of cities. The Sabres have played a lot of years without great attendance.

I watched games 2-5 of the World Series and I thought the St. Louis fans were nuts the whole time. Even more so because they were sitting in the rain.

On a side note, I think Buffalo fans give themselves a little too much credit. There are great, dedicated fans in LOTS of cities. The Sabres have played a lot of years without great attendance.

Hey St. Louis is a GREAT baseball city, and I agree they were great all series ... but that's what made it so weird when they actually won. It was just like it happened every year. I wasn't ripping them.

This entire post-season was pretty lame, IMO. Despite the Cards-Mets series going 7 games, there was very little drama in any single game. I never had a doubt during any point in that game last night that Detroit would come back. I dunno, there was a real lack of tension in any game I watched this post-season. I suppose it is different if you were a Cardinals fan, but for some reason, I have a feeling that this is one of those World Series where you'll forget who won or who played in 10 years.

I have said it before (on the wall) that hockey is similar to baseball in that... Hear me out now, and IMO:

Given a playoff system... Both sports (in the playoffs) will produce a team (more times, in more years) that appeared weaker in the regular season and had less wins UPSET a team that did well in the regular season...

As much as some here want to call the two sports different... Get hot pitching, stay healthy, and goaltending (in the playoffs) and you will go far... No matter what you did in the past...

The 2006 Cards do have the lowest win ever by a WS Champion.

Also... Both sports are motivational sports where you can sometimes overcome lack of talent... Because that can be offset by a very good coach or manager.

The one sport where talent is everything is basketball...

I just hope this Sabre team will blow the "talent curve" in hockey and go wire to wire and rank with the greatest teams of the past... '70s Canadiens, then Isles, Oilers and '90s Wings...

And yes... I did notice how boring the Cards fans seemed...

:D

Hey St. Louis is a GREAT baseball city, and I agree they were great all series ... but that's what made it so weird when they actually won. It was just like it happened every year. I wasn't ripping them.

They do have 10 WS wins in franchise history... Yes, far below the Yanks... But...

Ask someone (the layman out there) to list three basball teams they will probably say:

Yankees

Cardinals

Dodgers

or

Yankees

Dodgers

Cardinals

St. Louis is a really classy baseball town... they're kinda like Sabres fans in that they can actually respect a great play and they can talk about the sport. They'll even clap for the out of town team if they turn a great play, sometimes even when they win a great contest.

I didn't watch the game so I don't know what their reaction was, but I know to be a class act sports town.

That said, on that glorious day that Buffalo wins a major sports championship no one will be able to sleep.

Archived