Trade Deadline Question

bob_sauve28

Last year Carolina added a few key rent-a-players at the deadline. We all know who they were. Should the Sabres do the same this year? Just to make sure. I mean couldn't Drury use a really proven player next to him? I like Kotilik and Novotny, but come on, Drury is an excellent player and could be so much more useful with a like--just to speculate--Brendan Shanahan on his wing, or someone like that.

I'd do it in a second. The young players would understand if they had to sit. That's life

maybe on a different team, but this team is completely stacked. Hopefully connolly will be back for the stretch run, making us even more deep. We honestly don't need a rent a player. We don't need any more skill or leadership. its not trading someone in here, its trading one of our guys AWAY that's the scary thing... plus, we're tight against the cap...

the only way that i'd see the team making a deal is if both goalies get hurt or the team completely tanks and is out of playoff contention (then you'd trade briere...)

Last year Carolina added a few key rent-a-players at the deadline. We all know who they were. Should the Sabres do the same this year? Just to make sure. I mean couldn't Drury use a really proven player next to him? I like Kotilik and Novotny, but come on, Drury is an excellent player and could be so much more useful with a like--just to speculate--Brendan Shanahan on his wing, or someone like that.

I'd do it in a second. The young players would understand if they had to sit. That's life

I little early to start drinking?

The Sabres are the best team in hockey. Why would you want to mess with it? Not to mention the cap implications. The Sabres have too much depth and talent in the ROC to need to look outside. If the Sabres get hit with a major injury then you might think about looking outside. I wouldn't. But I could see where the Sabres might.

I little early to start drinking?

The Sabres are the best team in hockey. Why would you want to mess with it? Not to mention the cap implications. The Sabres have too much depth and talent in the ROC to need to look outside. If the Sabres get hit with a major injury then you might think about looking outside. I wouldn't. But I could see where the Sabres might.

You and corp make a good point about the cap, but a salavery pro-rated for end of season might be doable. Yes, we are best team right now, but so was Carolina late last season, and I really think Drury is at the very prime of his career, I'd like to give him another highly skilled player on his line. You can always get better. And this might be it. Last chance to win a cup.

Only drinking coffee this morning, lol

I don't think you add any "outsider" to this team at anytime, unless a major injury hits. Certainly if both goalies go down, you would look for someone. If Briere, Drury, and Roy were to go - you would need a top line center. But let's be honest, no one would just "give" someone to us if it came to that (even teams unloading salary at the deadline would know they could get more from a desperate team) and if that kind of injury curse hit - I think the whole question would be moot.

Besides, who do you give? I would not want to lose anything we have in ROC fora rent a player. And this team is going to need its draft picks to continue what they have started.

You and corp make a good point about the cap, but a salavery pro-rated for end of season might be doable. Yes, we are best team right now, but so was Carolina late last season, and I really think Drury is at the very prime of his career, I'd like to give him another highly skilled player on his line. You can always get better. And this might be it. Last chance to win a cup.

Only drinking coffee this morning, lol

Detroit and Ottawa were both better in the regular season than the Canes. The 'Canes only made those moves to make up for the loss of Eric Cole. If Cole was healthy I doubt they do anything.

I do see the point that any team can be better. They are 10-0 but they have plent of room for improvement. Which is why the start is so amazing. I don't think the Sabres are playing their best.

Who knows. If Connolly is deemed unfit for this season? The Sabres may just look outside for a temporary fix. I would rather see Paille or some of the other prospects in the ROC get their chance to be the next Novotny, Pominville or Roy.

Another defenseman might be a good idea, if we could trade Biron for him that might be something to think about...........

Let's build a team of all defensemen. We'd never have too much depth at D and run into the problem from last year. We could have offensive d-men and defensive d-men, everyone could play defense.

Maybe we could add another goalie or 2, just in case.

Detroit and Ottawa were both better in the regular season than the Canes. The 'Canes only made those moves to make up for the loss of Eric Cole. If Cole was healthy I doubt they do anything.

I do see the point that any team can be better. They are 10-0 but they have plent of room for improvement. Which is why the start is so amazing. I don't think the Sabres are playing their best.

Who knows. If Connolly is deemed unfit for this season? The Sabres may just look outside for a temporary fix. I would rather see Paille or some of the other prospects in the ROC get their chance to be the next Novotny, Pominville or Roy.

When the Canes traded for Weight, they were playing their best hockey and were healthy. Many thought the aquisition of Weight was to keep him from being acquired by Ottawa. Upon Weight's arrival, the team went on a winless streak that lasted several games. Eventually, he fit in and was a big help in the playoffs.

Recchi was aquired at the deadline to make up for the loss of Eric Cole. He was very unimpressive and seemed to coast down the stretch until the playoffs started. He had a great playoff and proved to be an all round player who not only scored points but blocked shots and hit eveything in sight.

The Sabres elected not to bring on any rent-a-players, the team chemistry stayed in tact and they would probably have won the cup, if it were not for the ridiculously huge amount of injuries.

I believe if the right deal is there and it's needed to win the cup - the Sabres will pull the trigger.

Hopefully, they can stay healthy and at the top of their game so rent-a-players are not neccessary.

I believe if the right deal is there and it's needed to win the cup - the Sabres will pull the trigger.

Hopefully, they can stay healthy and at the top of their game so rent-a-players are not neccessary.

It just seems to me Drury should be playing with another well above average player. He is such a great talent that surrounding him with a person he could benefit from more should be a priority. Nothing aganst the two he plays with now, but in a cup run I'd like to maximize our chances

Archived