[Sabre Rattling] Dangerous Ground

SabresBeat

While the National media attention and accolades heaped upon the Sabres are to be expected with the start Buffalo has had, there is an inherit danger that comes with being the “best team in the NHL” before the leaves fall off the trees. Take a look back at the “it” team of last October, [...]

http://www.sabresreport.com/blogs/?p=328

There were definitely some good points in that blog. I totally forgot about that Ottawa Senators team of last year. Oh, and let's not forget: Hasek was playing for them last year. :worthy: NOT!

My, how times have changed.

At least, from all appearances, the Sabres have kept their heads out of the clouds -- in spite of the fact that some of my fellow fans haven't (like the 82-0 or 96-0 hotdogging claims). :doh:

I am being realistic, though. There's no way this team is going 82-0. When the first loss hits, don't blame me for the jinx. Maybe this will bring some fans down to reality.

There were definitely some good points in that blog. I totally forgot about that Ottawa Senators team of last year. Oh, and let's not forget: Hasek was playing for them last year. :worthy: NOT!

My, how times have changed.

At least, from all appearances, the Sabres have kept their heads out of the clouds -- in spite of the fact that some of my fellow fans haven't (like the 82-0 or 96-0 hotdogging claims). :doh:

I am being realistic, though. There's no way this team is going 82-0. When the first loss hits, don't blame me for the jinx. Maybe this will bring some fans down to reality.

Keep in mind a few things that are different between this year's Sabres team and last year's Otters.

1. The Otters had a very good (albeit flaky) goalie at the beginning of the season. That is a big part of why they were leading the league in scoring AND fewest points allowed. When he went down their defensive stats dropped considerably. The Sabres have a much better backup than Ottawa had and has.

2. Alfredsson is the leader of the Otters and Drury is the leader of the Sabres. That should speak volumes for itself. While Ottawa had the better team on paper last year it didn't play nearly the team game that the Sabres played (and still play).

3. Part of the reason for one team playing as a team and the other not is due to the individual players, but another part of it is coaching. The Sabres have the Adams winner behind the bench. I don't believe the Otters coach has ever been past the 2nd round.

4. Whether it's due to them being overlooked at the beginning of last year or just the makeup of the players themselves, the Sabres have been over the last 2 years (and actually, since Drury got to town) a team that handles adversity well and continues to battle. The Otters haven't really faced adversity in the regular season for several years. When they get it in the playoffs, they aren't ready for it.

While Buffalo has been running away with games recently, they have also been battling back from the bad start and still coming out on top. Provided the team stays healthy, it should be a very entertaining year. Even though they will have the odd slump here or there, I don't see this team going through a prolonged slump. They are just too hungry.

I'd like to personally smack anyone who thinks this team could go 82-0 in the head.

Granted, I'd love to see them start 15-0 and with 30 points right off the bat. they could win just 40 fames following that and finish with 110 points overall.

That'd be a stellar season by any accounting.

Archived