Questions for anyone at the game last night

Corp000085

Does the logo on the scoreboard still have a glowing eye and does it snort after goals?

How do the new colors look around the arena?

Anything new of note at the arena since last year?

Center ice logo: i thought it looked better than the goathead on tv... less black on the ice means you can see the puck better... same effect live?

are the concessions any better than last year?

Does the logo on the scoreboard still have a glowing eye and does it snort after goals?

Center ice logo: i thought it looked better than the goathead on tv... less black on the ice means you can see the puck better... same effect live?

Yes the slug has a glowing red eye and snorts smoke. It's FUGLY as sin.

The new colors look like crap... purplish / black from the 300 level. Up close I swear the jersey was more purple than blue. Obviously I hate it.

As for changes... the in game production was MUCH weaker than last year. They tweaked things that didn't need tweaking. No between period entertainment either. Not even the stupid blimp.

As for center ice, the slug looks worse the larger it gets.

Finally, didn't notice any change in concessions.

In summary, personally I hate the new look with a passion, don't care for the colors at all. I went an ordered a classic blue LaFontaine jersey after the game. I'll never buy the FUGLY slug or the reebok crap jersey they put it on.

Since you obviously got a completely biased response from Preds, I'll give it a shot.

The scoreboard has the updated bison on it, and yes the eye glows and yes it still snorts out smoke.

Inside the arena the colors look good...though there are some discrepencies still. The ribbon board looks fantastic with the blue and gold. There's a graphic of the secondary logo (B w/ sword through it) which is sort of layered on top of the original crossed swords logo, which is faded out and in all one shade of blue. To the left of that is a profile image of Miller's mask. Overall, it looks real good. While all the permanent signage has been changed to the new logo and wordmark, I noticed that on one of the rotating signs in the 300 level advertising the Sabres ticket number, it still featured players in the red and black unis. All of the ads we saw on the jumbotron were updated however, showing the players in the new uniforms.

I don't know what the guy above was talking about the jerseys looking purple. Maybe he's so filled with rage over the new logo (at this point man, get over it) that his eyes were red last night, causing the blue to appear purple. I was sitting in section 305, but also saw the unis from up close last Thursday at the open scrimmage. They look navy blue. My dad, who was next to me, as well as a 50ish year old couple to my right (both of which were wearing the new jerseys) kept commenting on how much easier it was to read the numbers than last year. I had to agree. The numbers and the font really pop.

Inside the arena hallways I didn't notice anything new...there are still the huge black and white photographs that they had up last year. I didn't really go searching, but I'm not sure if they took down the photo's of Grier, McKee and Pyatt. I know we walked by a Connolly photo right before entering.

Also, when you enter on the ground level, past the ropes where you get your ticket scanned, the curving wall now has a large mural, done completely in red and black of guys from the team last year. It looks real sharp (I don't remember it being there last year during the playoffs, but I could be mistaken) however sort of strange that it's in red and black, not blue and gold.

I never really thought that losing the puck at center ice with the goathead was much of an issue, and to be honest, I thought that the center ice logo looked pretty weak. It was upside down from where we were sitting (I loved the Aud ice, with the alternating logos inside the circle) and the yellow doesn't really look very good on the white ice.

Concessions seemed the same as last year.

I do fee compelled to mention that the Sabres Store was packed before the game and packed after the game. We started to walk in, just to see what they had, and after the game it looked like K-Mart on December 26th. There were just empty shelves...EVERYWHERE. From where I was sitting I would estimate that at least 4, if not 5 of every 10 people with jerseys on had brand new blue or white jerseys. At least 30-40% of the arena I would guess had some sort of new merchandise, be it a hat, jersey or t-shirt.

Since you obviously got a completely biased response from Preds, I'll give it a shot.

The scoreboard has the updated bison on it, and yes the eye glows and yes it still snorts out smoke.

Inside the arena the colors look good...though there are some discrepencies still. The ribbon board looks fantastic with the blue and gold. There's a graphic of the secondary logo (B w/ sword through it) which is sort of layered on top of the original crossed swords logo, which is faded out and in all one shade of blue. To the left of that is a profile image of Miller's mask. Overall, it looks real good. While all the permanent signage has been changed to the new logo and wordmark, I noticed that on one of the rotating signs in the 300 level advertising the Sabres ticket number, it still featured players in the red and black unis. All of the ads we saw on the jumbotron were updated however, showing the players in the new uniforms.

I don't know what the guy above was talking about the jerseys looking purple. Maybe he's so filled with rage over the new logo (at this point man, get over it) that his eyes were red last night, causing the blue to appear purple. I was sitting in section 305, but also saw the unis from up close last Thursday at the open scrimmage. They look navy blue. My dad, who was next to me, as well as a 50ish year old couple to my right (both of which were wearing the new jerseys) kept commenting on how much easier it was to read the numbers than last year. I had to agree. The numbers and the font really pop.

Inside the arena hallways I didn't notice anything new...there are still the huge black and white photographs that they had up last year. I didn't really go searching, but I'm not sure if they took down the photo's of Grier, McKee and Pyatt. I know we walked by a Connolly photo right before entering.

Also, when you enter on the ground level, past the ropes where you get your ticket scanned, the curving wall now has a large mural, done completely in red and black of guys from the team last year. It looks real sharp (I don't remember it being there last year during the playoffs, but I could be mistaken) however sort of strange that it's in red and black, not blue and gold.

I never really thought that losing the puck at center ice with the goathead was much of an issue, and to be honest, I thought that the center ice logo looked pretty weak. It was upside down from where we were sitting (I loved the Aud ice, with the alternating logos inside the circle) and the yellow doesn't really look very good on the white ice.

I do fee compelled to mention that the Sabres Store was packed before the game and packed after the game. We started to walk in, just to see what they had, and after the game it looked like K-Mart on December 26th. There were just empty shelves...EVERYWHERE. From where I was sitting I would estimate that at least 4, if not 5 of every 10 people with jerseys on had brand new blue or white jerseys. At least 30-40% of the arena I would guess had some sort of new merchandise, be it a hat, jersey or t-shirt.

Yes, there were many empty shelves. They had been filled with CLOSEOUT merchandise w/ the B&R. I know this for a fact because I bought 3 of the remaining Sabres Flyers shirts. At $5 a pop, it wasn't too surprising that the stuff sold well.

There was still a LOT of new stuff on the "shelves" (actually must of it was hanging on racks, but that's quibbling). The thing I didn't see ANY of (maybe it was in the back to the right) was vintage b&g clothing.

As for 40% of the crowd wearing new b&g, you are full of bunk. I was in the same section you were, yes there was more new stuff than I had hoped (and I know it will only get worse) but I would say about 1/2 of the people that weren't wearing Habswear were wearing Shatainic goatheat and the rest was evenly split between old b&g and new b&g. Also, it appeared to this casual observer that there was more new stuff in the 300's than in the 100's. The 100's seemed to have more vintage.

You are correct that the unis didn't look purple from the 300's.

The mural as you walk in was there last year. They haven't changed it to a blue and gold one yet.

We tried to take a look in the store before the game but decided not to. I completely hate the new logo and uniforms but I wanted to see what else they had. So there's no way everyone in there was there because they loved the new look (besides, the local hockey team getting new duds is one of the only interesting things happening in this area so of course people are going to check it out).

And there's no way 40-50% of the people wearing jerseys were wearing the new things. There were a lot but then again, you'd expect the people at the home opener to also be the same people who'd buy new merchandise as soon as it came out. And I'm still laughing at how horrible the white uniforms look on fat people. The dark arms blend with the dark blue all around the arena and they just end up looking like giant beer guts with a head on top.

I was at the pre-season game and the opener. I really don't like the new jersey and I hate the logo ferret, slug, weasel, whatever, but I never really warmed up to the goathead either. I would say from the first look from my seats in 315 (Oh yeah, we all got big macs on friday!!) that the new jerseys make it much easier to read the numbers from the other end. That's a plus. Nothing between periods, but I really don't care. It would be nice to put the kids out there for community goodwill, but maybe they fired the people that used to arrange those things, I don't know.

One glaring difference this year is the puppet. Sabretooth is WAYYYY off his game. Is the same person in there? It looks smaller, and listless. He didn't come down the wire in pre-season and only gently came straight down on friday. Now swinging. It tries to bang on a drum and the sound hardly works and the effort is absolutely pathetic. Either the cat steps it up or someone should drop him at the SPCA.

Fortunately, I love hockey and our team is (scary)good so even if they wore pink and put Big Bird as the logo "for the kids" it really doesn't matter. They play hard and win. Good enough!!

Archived