Marty looks sharp(er)

Monkeygirl

I went to both thursday night scrimmages and last night Marty looked much sharper than Miller IMO. Some goals just wizzed by Miller like you wouldn't expect them to, but this can only be a good thing. We have two really good goaltenders that can be great as well so there will be no lack of competition this season if everyone stays healthy.......

ps. taking pictures in front of those huge photos of the players in the concourse is enough to keep one busy for several minutes.

Cinco Dias

I went to both thursday night scrimmages and last night Marty looked much sharper than Miller IMO. Some goals just wizzed by Miller like you wouldn't expect them to, but this can only be a good thing. We have two really good goaltenders that can be great as well so there will be no lack of competition this season if everyone stays healthy.......

ps. taking pictures in front of those huge photos of the players in the concourse is enough to keep one busy for several minutes.

Cinco Dias

I wouldn't be worried about Miller just yet, especially not after a scrimage.

EDIT: After re-reading your post. I am wondering, if Miller played poorly, how could it be a good thing? Marty is 28. Chances are he's finished developing. He's shown that he is a hot and cold goalie who is pretty good when he's hot, and struggles when he is cold. Not to mention the fact that he is an UFA at the end of this year.

Yes, I know most Marty fans will point out Marty's streak as an indication of what he is capable of. He did play his best during that streak, but it wouldn't have happened without a ton of goal support. And if you take a look at his stats during the streak, his GAA and SV% were only slightly better than Miller's for the entire season. Compare that to when Miller was at his best. In the 15 games after his injury, he put up somewhere around a 1.80 GAA, and .935 SV%. So those numbers tell me that Miller at his best is better than Marty at his best. Also, Miller put up significantly better stats over the course of the year.

And this isn't even taking into consideration that Biron is making over $2 million on a team that is in cap trouble.

Cinco Dias

me and my buddy both said the same thing----way to early though----all the players well the ones not in danger of being cut---displayed comical faces for the most part....i think when pressure's on miller will be back in form--- I can easily see thought the goalies splitting time be interesting to see if miller gets all the games tonite and tomorrow or they split...i have a hunch we will see Biron 35-40% of the time early on...by the way Drury put a nice hit on Sekera right in front of us!

me and my buddy both said the same thing----way to early though----all the players well the ones not in danger of being cut---displayed comical faces for the most part....i think when pressure's on miller will be back in form--- I can easily see thought the goalies splitting time be interesting to see if miller gets all the games tonite and tomorrow or they split...i have a hunch we will see Biron 35-40% of the time early on...by the way Drury put a nice hit on Sekera right in front of us!

40% of the time is too much. I think Ruff needed to give Miller a couple more nights off at times last year, but 40% is bordering on having a 1. and 1(a) which I am not a big fan of. I don't see any reason why Miller would get tonight and tomorrow night. It's a back to back in the pre-season. I can't think of a better reason to split.

Along similar lines, if you look at the pre-season stats in NJ:

Martin Brodeur roughly has a 3.10 GAA and a .893 SV%.

Scott Clemenson roughly has a 2.00 GAA and a .951 SV%.

Wonder if they are having a debate about who should be the Devils starter? :lol:

That's about as good of an illustration as any of pre-season performances, not to mention scrimage performances.

more than any position in pro sports -- more than qb, catcher, point guard, the patsie in extreme wrestling who gets his a*s driven into a table every night -- i think goalie is the position that imposes and requires the most mental energy.

miller can say what he wants about how he's a lizard out there -- all action, no thought -- but the fact remains that the position is incredibly taxing on the melon and its grey innards.

so, if miller looks less than sharp in a practice, i'm not worried. (then again, people always talked about how dom was as tough to beat in practice as he was in a game. :unsure: )

anyway, even if miller were to look less than sharp for a 10-game stretch, i'm not going to be worried necessarily. this is because, it seems to me, he possesses the rare ability to elevate and focus his game when things matter most, and become a force in doing so.

mind you, i'm not saying he calls on, summons that ability with the consistency of, say, roy or brodeur -- but the ability's there.

more than any position in pro sports -- more than qb, catcher, point guard, the patsie in extreme wrestling who gets his a*s driven into a table every night -- i think goalie is the position that imposes and requires the most mental energy.

miller can say what he wants about how he's a lizard out there -- all action, no thought -- but the fact remains that the position is incredibly taxing on the melon and its grey innards.

so, if miller looks less than sharp in a practice, i'm not worried. (then again, people always talked about how dom was as tough to beat in practice as he was in a game. :unsure: )

anyway, even if miller were to look less than sharp for a 10-game stretch, i'm not going to be worried necessarily. this is because, it seems to me, he possesses the rare ability to elevate and focus his game when things matter most, and become a force in doing so.

mind you, i'm not saying he calls on, summons that ability with the consistency of, say, roy or brodeur -- but the ability's there.

Good point. Last year Miller had a strong pre-season, but he had something to prove. He had to win the number 1 job. Now he has it, and he can use camp and the pre-season to get himself ready for the regular season.

If I remember correctly he didn't look all that sharp in his reconditioning stint in Rochester last year. And things turned out just fine in his first NHL game back.

I'm not worried about Miller at all and I understand it's only training camp but it is encouraging to see Marty really focusing in and raising the level of competitiveness. THAT is the good thing because as long as Marty is here, Miller cannot afford prolonged slumps since I don't think Lindy would really hesitate to put Marty in for a string of games when that happens.....or maybe he'd let Miller "work it out".......anywho

It is a different situation this year since Miller has a whole year under his belt and teams have a lot more tape to study him. And like everyone is saying, they're not going to be sneaking up on anyone. I'm sure Ottawa will mark the games against Buffalo as being extra important after last season so it won't be nearly as easy as last year....not to say last year was easy at all....

Bottom line is that the best situation right now is to keep Marty around at least until the trade deadline and I think they should only trade him if it is absolutely necessary (say there is a longterm injury)......

I am surely a Marty fan and always have been (only jersey I own) and of course I'm being biased in wanting to keep him here but it is not unreasonable to want such a thing is it..........IS IT???!!!!!

I'm not worried about Miller at all and I understand it's only training camp but it is encouraging to see Marty really focusing in and raising the level of competitiveness. THAT is the good thing because as long as Marty is here, Miller cannot afford prolonged slumps since I don't think Lindy would really hesitate to put Marty in for a string of games when that happens.....or maybe he'd let Miller "work it out".......anywho

It is a different situation this year since Miller has a whole year under his belt and teams have a lot more tape to study him. And like everyone is saying, they're not going to be sneaking up on anyone. I'm sure Ottawa will mark the games against Buffalo as being extra important after last season so it won't be nearly as easy as last year....not to say last year was easy at all....

Bottom line is that the best situation right now is to keep Marty around at least until the trade deadline and I think they should only trade him if it is absolutely necessary (say there is a longterm injury)......

I am surely a Marty fan and always have been (only jersey I own) and of course I'm being biased in wanting to keep him here but it is not unreasonable to want such a thing is it..........IS IT???!!!!!

I am not a fan of two goalie systems in general. As TheAudSmell mentioned it's a mentally draining position. There is enough pressure on a goalie as it is. If he has to worry about keeping his job as the starter as well, then it's just increasing the pressure.

Do you really think that having Marty as backup is what motivates Miller to play well? I am willing to bet wanting to win games and the cup is what motivates him, and having to look over his shoulder serves as a distraction.

This isn't even taking money into consideration. Taking money into consideration, I think it's pretty unreasonable to want to keep him around. The team is a little too close to the salary cap for comfort. Bringing in a cheaper backup goalie could save the team considerable cap room, which in the end is better for the team.

I am not a fan of two goalie systems in general. As TheAudSmell mentioned it's a mentally draining position. There is enough pressure on a goalie as it is. If he has to worry about keeping his job as the starter as well, then it's just increasing the pressure.

Do you really think that having Marty as backup is what motivates Miller to play well? I am willing to bet wanting to win games and the cup is what motivates him, and having to look over his shoulder serves as a distraction.

This isn't even taking money into consideration. Taking money into consideration, I think it's pretty unreasonable to want to keep him around. The team is a little too close to the salary cap for comfort. Bringing in a cheaper backup goalie could save the team considerable cap room, which in the end is better for the team.

The pressure on the goalie is why I'd like us to have a very capable backup, someone that can step in for maybe ~20-25 games (I am not sure about that number though - sometimes I think it is too high, sometimes I think it is about right) to give Ryan a chance to catch his breath, take a step back and maintain/sharpen his focus. Personally I wish we could have given him a couple extra nights off toward the end of the regular season last year, but hopefully he learned from the long, grueling grind that is the end of the regular season and the march through the playoffs.

As for what motivates him to play well - that is different for a lot of athletes in all sports - at the core is wanting to win more games, be a champion, be the best, but some guys need something extra to maintain their drive & focus, whether its proving to the league that they should have been drafted higher; playing against a boyhood idol, longtime friend, or heated rival; trying to establish themselves to their peers, in hopes of getting an All-Star/Pro Bowl/National Team spot; chasing the ghosts of the past, trying to establish their names at the top of their sport; or maybe even just looking to cash in on contracts, endorsements, off-ice busness ventures. If it takes Ryan looking over his shoulder a bit to keep his intensity and focus, then I have no problem keeping a solid #2 around. It would be even better if they had a hotshot rookie coming up through the minors and making some noise, but a solid #2/borderline 1A guy should push him enough.

I cannot agree more that the salary cap issue is what will drive Marty out of Buffalo, and when that happens, I hope Darcy has a solid backup in mind/in camp/ready to go.

They're both good goalies. I just like Biron better at this point. But for the long haul, Miller has more upside. I just hope he fulfills it.

Considering how long the season is, there should be plenty of work for both guys, and both seem pretty supportive of each other; maybe we should just sit back and enjoy the show!

They're both good goalies. I just like Biron better at this point. But for the long haul, Miller has more upside. I just hope he fulfills it.

Considering how long the season is, there should be plenty of work for both guys, and both seem pretty supportive of each other; maybe we should just sit back and enjoy the show!

Why do you like Biron better?

Age before beauty, I guess....

I tend to like experience over youth.... until the body gives out. Biron is nowhere near that point yet. Over the long haul, I think Miller has much, much more potential; I hope he realizes it. But as a Buffalo sports fan, theres always that nagging doubt in the back of my mind. We never get the pretty things.

We never get the pretty things.

Au Contraire!

Do you not recall the Sabres of the early 1980s? Judging by the devotion shown by my female grammar school classmates at that time, we was real pretty at that time, to wit:

Cyr

Tucker

McKenna

Andreychuck (young version)

Age before beauty, I guess....

I tend to like experience over youth.... until the body gives out. Biron is nowhere near that point yet. Over the long haul, I think Miller has much, much more potential; I hope he realizes it. But as a Buffalo sports fan, theres always that nagging doubt in the back of my mind. We never get the pretty things.

Experience over youth? Well Biron has more seasons played, but I think Miller's playoff experience evens that out. Especially considering the fact that before the lockout the Sabres had (off the top of my head) somewhere around the 10th best offense in the league and still fell short of the playoffs.

Additionally, the one season where they both had enough games to realistically compare stats, Miller put up better numbers.

Archived