Taking Quinn to Task on His Press Conference

Screamin'Weasel

Dear Mr. Quinn,

You have succeeded more than I thought in converting some of the logo haters. But not me. While I admit the sweater design is pretty nice, I still dislike the logo. Even more I dislike being lied to and treated like I were stupid.

You said in your press conference, "There will be sabres on the front." Where are they? The only thing on the front is the logo and the player number.

You said at the same press conference, "The logo that leaked was an older copy and was incomplete." How was it incomplete? I saw the logo and the secondary logo on the leaked style sheet and I see exactly the same things on the sweaters.

You went on to say at the press conference, "We will not be using the "B" with a sabre through it." Really? Did you see the sweaters you unveiled today? I see the "B" with a sabre through it on the shoulders.

You said at that very same press conference, "We will even have a new element on the sweaters never used before." In hockey or in the NHL, Larry? Several minor league teams have player numbers on the front of their sweaters. Even the NHL All-Star uniforms of 2000 had the numbers on the front.

You lied to the fans Mr. Quinn and you treated us like we are stupid. But not me, Mr. Quinn. I didn't forget what you said and I will try to not let anyone else forget.

You may have suckered some of the doubters, but not all of them.

You said in your press conference, "There will be sabres on the front." Where are they? The only thing on the front is the logo and the player number.

I have mixed emotions about the logo, but I REALLY hate being lied to on this point above. I've heard several friends and family complain about the same thing.

I think ultimately this is what fans will be most pi$$ed off about. Good post Weasel.

I agree with what you are saying but I think he said that their will be Sabres on the jersey. I don't believe he specified a location. I could be wrong.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

You lied to us, we are the fans. You have to please us all, all the time or we are going to write angry letters to you. Give it up, whats done is done. It is a freakin hockey uniform.

If you don't want to have to go through with this, go support the Leafs, you know they won't be changing their uniforms anytime soon and apparently they have one of the best uniforms in the NHL or so I have been told.

You lied to us, we are the fans. You have to please us all, all the time or we are going to write angry letters to you. Give it up, whats done is done. It is a freakin hockey uniform.

If you don't want to have to go through with this, go support the Leafs, you know they won't be changing their uniforms anytime soon and apparently they have one of the best uniforms in the NHL or so I have been told.

Yeah, thats it! Lets just bend over and take it! If you don't like it, get out! Thats what Islander fans did when they didn't like their logo!

Oh wait....

Yeah, thats it! Lets just bend over and take it! If you don't like it, get out! Thats what Islander fans did when they didn't like their logo!

Oh wait....

This is a bit different. Along with the logo, the Isles changed the colors to aqua and orange. They also did not wear their original uniform as an alternate, and the complete change dissed the tradition of the teams that won four cups.

The Sabres on the other hand, are returning to their original colors, and will wear their original uniforms during the season.

I find it hard to believe that fans are being asked to 'bend over and take it' when they're offered the out of supporting the team by purchasing more traditional merchandise if they'd like.

You wrote a post, we are the readers. You have to agree with our opinion all the time or we are going to make derissive replies to yours. Give it up, what's posted is posted. It is a freakin message board post.

If you don't want to have to go through with this, go read the Leafs boards, you know they won't be posting differing opinions anytime soon and apparently they have one of the best opinions on the internet or so I have been told.

Apus, just because I have an opinion and yours is a different one, you are not forced to read it. My original post was concise, well thought out and didn't take a shot at anyone but a liar. Yours was childish drivel.

This is a bit different. Along with the logo, the Isles changed the colors to aqua and orange. They also did not wear their original uniform as an alternate, and the complete change dissed the tradition of the teams that won four cups.

The Sabres on the other hand, are returning to their original colors, and will wear their original uniforms during the season.

I find it hard to believe that fans are being asked to 'bend over and take it' when they're offered the out of supporting the team by purchasing more traditional merchandise if they'd like.

Really? It's a bit different? I don't believe that for a second. They changed the colors for this jersey and the logo, as well as the jersey design, to be complete #%^$#!. Seems to me that is the same damn thing.

Look, you may be satisfied with them wearing the original jerseys for 15 games, because you actually like the new ones. But everyone who doesn't, and thinks that they are an abortion, isn't satisfied by that, and are being told by everyone trumpeting the Sabres line (like yourself and Quinn) to shutup and bend over.

Oh, and it seems as though that you might not realize this but, there are other ways of supporting a team then buying merchandise.

What they *should* do is come to an acceptable solution for most.

Really? It's a bit different? I don't believe that for a second. They changed the colors for this jersey and the logo, as well as the jersey design, to be complete #%^$#!. Seems to me that is the same damn thing.

Look, you may be satisfied with them wearing the original jerseys for 15 games, because you actually like the new ones. But everyone who doesn't, and thinks that they are an abortion, isn't satisfied by that, and are being told by everyone trumpeting the Sabres line (like yourself and Quinn) to shutup and bend over.

Oh, and it seems as though that you might not realize this but, there are other ways of supporting a team then buying merchandise.

What they *should* do is come to an acceptable solution for most.

I never suggested that anyone be forced to support the team by buying merchandise. However, for those of us who wish to, we have the option to purchase merchandise with the new, ugly logo, or the traditional logo. Isles fans were not given that opportunity. Adding aqua to the jersey also was a kick in the teeth to traditional Isles fan, very much like the switch to red and black were a kick in the teeth to traditional Sabres fans.

I also never said that I like the new uniforms. To me, they're on the edge of being acceptable. However, since my own personal taste is secondary when purchasing a jersey (I never really liked the red and black colors, but I own five of those jerseys), I really don't believe that I'm being told to 'shut up and bend over.'

An acceptable solution for most would have been a great idea, but almost impossible to determine. I suppose they could have held a vote, but everyone who voted against the winning solution would have been angry.

Now-a-days, the lifecycle for a new logo or uniform is 10 years or so. I'm 38, so I figure I can wait out this latest change, especially if management continues to put a competitive team on the ice. As long as that happens, I'm not going to waste my time with boycotts or campaigns.

As I (and many others) have stated previously, it is not likely that the Sabres had ANY intention of wearing the vintage blue uniforms prior to the logo being leaked and the wave of negative opinions that followed. The fact that they dragged a Dave Hannan jersey out of the laundry basket to hang as a backdrop for LQ's press conference should speak volumes.

The Islanders ADDED aqua to their existing blue and orange color scheme and completely changed the jersey styling and striping in addition to adopting the fisherman logo.

I never was a fan of switching colors from the original blue and gold to red and black (that came about for one reason and one only: the hottest selling color combination for the several years leading up to the first uni redesign was the red and black of the Chicago Bulls/Michael Jordan. If Jordan had been drafted by Boston, the Sabres would have been wearing Celtic green for the last ten years). The color scheme of the new Sabres' uniforms is NOT the original color scheme; both the blue and the gold are very different shades. That is being way too picky, but true nevertheless.

-Ed :mellow:

As I (and many others) have stated previously, it is not likely that the Sabres had ANY intention of wearing the vintage blue uniforms prior to the logo being leaked and the wave of negative opinions that followed. The fact that they dragged a Dave Hannan jersey out of the laundry basket to hang as a backdrop for LQ's press conference should speak volumes.

I don't doubt that Quinn added the vintage jersey after the backlash. However, that hardly seems like a guy who is out to 'bend over' Sabres fans, it seems like he was making a concession to the fans.

The Islanders ADDED aqua to their existing blue and orange color scheme and completely changed the jersey styling and striping in addition to adopting the fisherman logo.

Yeah, I don't know what was worse, that fisherman logo or the new aqua color. That gave them Miami Dolphins colors, blech.

I never was a fan of switching colors from the original blue and gold to red and black (that came about for one reason and one only: the hottest selling color combination for the several years leading up to the first uni redesign was the red and black of the Chicago Bulls/Michael Jordan. If Jordan had been drafted by Boston, the Sabres would have been wearing Celtic green for the last ten years). The color scheme of the new Sabres' uniforms is NOT the original color scheme; both the blue and the gold are very different shades. That is being way too picky, but true nevertheless.

-Ed :mellow:

I also heard that they changed the colors to match the Adelphia colors. Red and black did prove to be popular colors in the league, though, as the final four in the Eastern Conference proved last season. I think that was when I had it with the black and red.

And the pickiness shows how difficult it is to get consensus from the fans on the new branding of the team. Does blue and gold mean the original colors, or the Rams colors, or the colors that were chosen? I'm not that picky, any blue and gold combo is okay with me.

I don't doubt that Quinn added the vintage jersey after the backlash. However, that hardly seems like a guy who is out to 'bend over' Sabres fans, it seems like he was making a concession to the fans.

And the pickiness shows how difficult it is to get consensus from the fans on the new branding of the team. Does blue and gold mean the original colors, or the Rams colors, or the colors that were chosen? I'm not that picky, any blue and gold combo is okay with me.

You bet he was making a concession to the fans - can you imagine what would have gone on the past few months if LQ and the Sabres hadn't decided to included the vintage third jersey? There would not have been enough coals to rake LQ over.

Hey, I'm not that picky with the blue/gold thing. I like that Tommy G. decided to go back to the more traditional color scheme; it's just not the ORIGINAL color scheme (not that it had to be). And there will never be a consensus of opinion by the fans on this or any other team issue (just look at the plethora of opinions about downtown development). It's just that it would have been really nice if somewhere in the new logo development process they asked even ONE longtime Sabres fan for an opinion. Chances are the Golden Sluggalo would have been killed off before it had a chance to multiply.

By the way, I'm thinking of trademarking the term "Golden Sluggalo". It has a certain ring to it. I already heard Channel 2's sports guy use my "Logo-gate" moniker on the new tonight. Hey! Maybe I have what it takes to go into sports marketing! (OK, I know - it's late...)

-Ed ;)

You wrote a post, we are the readers. You have to agree with our opinion all the time or we are going to make derissive replies to yours. Give it up, what's posted is posted. It is a freakin message board post.

If you don't want to have to go through with this, go read the Leafs boards, you know they won't be posting differing opinions anytime soon and apparently they have one of the best opinions on the internet or so I have been told.

Apus, just because I have an opinion and yours is a different one, you are not forced to read it. My original post was concise, well thought out and didn't take a shot at anyone but a liar. Yours was childish drivel.

So you make a post adding to the hundreds of others where you state you dislike the uniform, yet when I come back and reply to it, I'm being told if I don't like your opinion I don't have to read it? Fine, why don't you take some of your own advice and not read my replies.

Everyone is claiming the Sabres are going to be a laughing stock for wearing this new logo, I think they will be a laughing stock because of the fact that their fans are more concerned about a logo design and having the right shade of Blue in the uniform. They are too busy watching Eye and worried the Sabres might end up on What Not To Wear because Larry didn't listen to what every fan wanted and just go with the original or Slabyks design

So you make a post adding to the hundreds of others where you state you dislike the uniform, yet when I come back and reply to it, I'm being told if I don't like your opinion I don't have to read it? Fine, why don't you take some of your own advice and not read my replies.

Everyone is claiming the Sabres are going to be a laughing stock for wearing this new logo, I think they will be a laughing stock because of the fact that their fans are more concerned about a logo design and having the right shade of Blue in the uniform. They are too busy watching Eye and worried the Sabres might end up on What Not To Wear because Larry didn't listen to what every fan wanted and just go with the original or Slabyks design

Dude, take my advice...switch to decaf before you stroke out........

:rolleyes:

Quinn is a moron...

Larry Quinn, Sabres' managing partner, said he was more than pleased with the way Saturday went. He loved the way the fans cheered -- not jeered -- the new uniforms and the deep lines at the Sabres' store.

"It tells me what people are really feeling about this team," he said.

I was cheering the Team not the jersey....What a Tool...

My post was directed to Larry Quinn concerning glaring lies he told the public and the press. Any person in the public eye that lies blatantly to the people concerned and to the press should be called out. Don't read more into this than it is (it is simply an easily comprehensable comparison only) but if a politician were to tell as glaring lies to the public and press as LQ did, he should be called out on it when the truth is revealed and he is shown as a liar. As LQ should in this case.

On the other hand, your post was a condesending bit of trash directed at me for my opinion. Disagree all you want but there is no need to post nonsense as you did. If you notice, my second post was a spin on yours word for word.

You are more than welcome to your opinion and I have absolutely no disrepsect for anyone supporting thier opinion with well thought out reasoning and example. I feel I did that in my original post. Can you say the same about yours?

Just sick and tired of hearing the whining about a freakin logo design and colors of a jersey

And many of us complaining/unhappy with the new logo are tired of hearing people whining about us and our opinion. The uniform just came out! Of course there will be a flurry of theads about it, from both sides. If you are tired of the "whining," read other threads or start a new one on another topic. Quite frankly many of us, the anti-uniformites, are sick of the "whining" of the pro-uniformer people like yourself.

I don't disrespect you or your opinion on it. I have a lack of respect for the format you place it in and the disrespect you show people with differring opinions.

Something I've been thinking about over the last day or so, and is becoming more noticeable on the boards as of late, is how divisive this logo has become. And for those of you who think its all on the "whiners and crybabies" think about this - the team was coming off one of the most successful and exciting seasons in their history. Rolling out the new logo should have been a slam dunk and a fun, exciting day at the arena, and the team should be laughing all the way to the bank right now with new merchandise sales.

Instead (not to rehash old arguments, but these seem to be accepted facts by most), we get a logo that most seem to dislike, some hate, some are indifferent to, and some actually like (I cannot understand that for the life of me); a lack of new logo jerseys and product to sell to the anticipated 10,000 people in attendance at the open scrimmage; hastily called press conferences to soothe the ruffled feathers of the fans; and a president who tells us, that we should wait to see the finished product before criticizing it, as it will look better in context, and if we hate it, then we can blame him. Now we get the finished product, a lot of people still hate it, and are calling the team and LQ on it, and we get shouted down by people who "don't care what the players are wearing."

The top organizations in sport are top notch from top to bottom - they pay attention to every detail, they protect their image as well as their employees and players, and make sure they do everything in a professional manner. Whether you want to blame Rbk, the Sabres marketing & creative services team, the NHL, the Sabres.com webmaster, the Zamboni driver, Joe the parking lot attendant, whomever - this whole process (logo design included) was a cluster fugg of immense proportions. The people who hate this logo and keep harping on it want the very best for our franchise - including the character of players they draft - how they play on the ice and behave in the community; the condition of the facilities, the game night atmosphere, and yes, even how they look on the ice. I think what happened here, with the indecisive crowd, was the home sweater design isn't bad looking, so they figured what the hell - its not that bad, why are you still complaining? I think if they had decided to go with a powder blue and light yellow color scheme, most of the people telling us to stop complaining would be lining up behind us in demanding a change.

Please don't misinterpret our feelings on this. It doesn't mean we don't love & support the team, doesn't mean we want the team to fail - on the contrary, we want the team to succeed everywhere, and a better logo & sweater would have this team rolling in merchandise sales for the next five years. They wouldn't be able to keep it on the shelves, and not b/c of some lame excuses about why they don't have enough product.

Final thought - its not like the threads are disguised - most clearly indicate the topic and whether the original poster likes or dislikes the jerseys, so if you don't want to hear it, then don't click on it - no one is forcing you into these threads. Better yet - start your own "I love the Slug" thread or "post positive uniform thoughts here" thread, and we'll (well at least I) will elave you alone.

Something I've been thinking about over the last day or so, and is becoming more noticeable on the boards as of late, is how divisive this logo has become. And for those of you who think its all on the "whiners and crybabies" think about this - the team was coming off one of the most successful and exciting seasons in their history. Rolling out the new logo should have been a slam dunk and a fun, exciting day at the arena, and the team should be laughing all the way to the bank right now with new merchandise sales.

Instead (not to rehash old arguments, but these seem to be accepted facts by most), we get a logo that most seem to dislike, some hate, some are indifferent to, and some actually like (I cannot understand that for the life of me); a lack of new logo jerseys and product to sell to the anticipated 10,000 people in attendance at the open scrimmage; hastily called press conferences to soothe the ruffled feathers of the fans; and a president who tells us, that we should wait to see the finished product before criticizing it, as it will look better in context, and if we hate it, then we can blame him. Now we get the finished product, a lot of people still hate it, and are calling the team and LQ on it, and we get shouted down by people who "don't care what the players are wearing."

The top organizations in sport are top notch from top to bottom - they pay attention to every detail, they protect their image as well as their employees and players, and make sure they do everything in a professional manner. Whether you want to blame Rbk, the Sabres marketing & creative services team, the NHL, the Sabres.com webmaster, the Zamboni driver, Joe the parking lot attendant, whomever - this whole process (logo design included) was a cluster fugg of immense proportions. The people who hate this logo and keep harping on it want the very best for our franchise - including the character of players they draft - how they play on the ice and behave in the community; the condition of the facilities, the game night atmosphere, and yes, even how they look on the ice. I think what happened here, with the indecisive crowd, was the home sweater design isn't bad looking, so they figured what the hell - its not that bad, why are you still complaining? I think if they had decided to go with a powder blue and light yellow color scheme, most of the people telling us to stop complaining would be lining up behind us in demanding a change.

Please don't misinterpret our feelings on this. It doesn't mean we don't love & support the team, doesn't mean we want the team to fail - on the contrary, we want the team to succeed everywhere, and a better logo & sweater would have this team rolling in merchandise sales for the next five years. They wouldn't be able to keep it on the shelves, and not b/c of some lame excuses about why they don't have enough product.

Final thought - its not like the threads are disguised - most clearly indicate the topic and whether the original poster likes or dislikes the jerseys, so if you don't want to hear it, then don't click on it - no one is forcing you into these threads. Better yet - start your own "I love the Slug" thread or "post positive uniform thoughts here" thread, and we'll (well at least I) will elave you alone.

GREAT POST. I pretty much agree with everything you stated.

How the Sabres could screw the pooch so badly on this is unthinkable. Instead of getting pumped for the 06/07 season, we're in fighting over a terrible new logo. LQ is an idiot. Mike Gilbert is an idiot lying sack of #%^$#!. And whomever that guy is who was quoted as the Sabres director of creative development should be fired.

All that being said, I'll still be at the games this year in either a classic or black and red jersey cheering on the team... but I REFUSE to buy anything with the slug on it.

Archived