The slug has arrived at HSBC!!!

LabattBlue

Just went down to watch some of the scrimmage on my "extended" :) lunch hour. The coaches and Darcy were in their slug warmup suits, the ribbon board had the slug on it, the scoreboard had the slug on it, the slug was at center ice, etc...

The only remants of the red and black buffalo was the snorting head at the top of the scoreboard and a couple of ad panels on the facade of the balcony for sabres.com and 1-888-go-slugs which were still red and lack, but am sure will be changed out shortly.

Not a bad gig if you have a couple of hours to kill. They have a concession stand open and there is no charge to get in.

A couple of hockey notes...

- WNY native Patrick Kaleta hits everything in sight. I can see him being a 4th line banger in a year or two. He also set up another player right in front of the net, but the puck was tipped high(it might have been Derek Roy).

- Jillson was in uniform which I assume to mean that he has signed a contract. :P

- Stafford is pretty slick with the puck.

- The players are broken up into 3 teams...red, black & white. This scrimmage today was white & black(I was only able to stay for half of it :angry: ).

- WNY native Patrick Kaleta hits everything in sight. I can see him being a 4th line banger in a year or two. He also set up another player right in front of the net, but the puck was tipped high(it might have been Derek Roy).

Everyone has been saying this since his arrival at camp last year. What is holding him back from making the team currently?

Everyone has been saying this since his arrival at camp last year. What is holding him back from making the team currently?

Quite simply put, he's not ready yet. He needs to get some experience playing with the stronger players (and also probably needs to bulk up a bit too) before he's ready. He's not going to get that experience by sitting in the NHL press box.

Archived