season ticket sales

Corp000085

The BN states, on the frontpage here, that the team is exeeding the 12,000 season ticket goal with full season ticket purchases... The thing is, that 12,000 goal was for full season, plus the minipacks. Quinn has stated that the minipacks haven't even been counted yet. What's the moral of this post?

a) Buffalo Sabres hockey is back, big time, and there's not a soul out there who can throw doubt.

b) Maybe these "big" contracts, and the sabres apparent willingness to agree to the briere terms is not a result of golisano opening the purses but a function of the extra money the team is generating. A 4,000 + jump in the season ticket base is a whole lot of dough. I wouldn't have said it a month ago, but its entirely feesable that most or all of these RFAs will be signed, sealed and delivered, and we might even come closer to the cap limit...

Maybe these "big" contracts, and the sabres apparent willingness to agree to the briere terms is not a result of golisano opening the purses but a function of the extra money the team is generating. A 4,000 + jump in the season ticket base is a whole lot of dough. I wouldn't have said it a month ago, but its entirely feesable that most or all of these RFAs will be signed, sealed and delivered, and we might even come closer to the cap limit...

I think (and hope) you're right about this. That is a 50% jump in season tickets (ie locked-in cash) without counting mini-packs. If they get another 1500 season tickets sold including the mini-packs that is a 69% increase. While it's not all new money, since many of those tickets would have been sold at the box office anyway, it's certainly a lot of new money. This has to have affected their internal budgeting process.

Combine those numbers with Darcy's statements about keeping Danny, and I have to believe almost everyone will be back (although I still don't see Max and JP coming back -- but hopefully I'm wrong).

Go Sabres.

This is really good to see. If the people come money can be spent on the players. Now the people that go to the games can NOT buy the slug logo and burn anything they can get there hands on that has the slug on it. Sorry still bitter over that. Lets hope PR for the sabres isn't hurt too bad with all this logo stuff and the play on the ice is still a high level.

I don't think it's too much to expect another 3,000 to 4,000 season ticket equivalents as Larry would say from Mini-Paks and 10-Paks.

If season ticket sales jumped that much then mini-pak sales should jump just as much. I'm hoping they get 15-16,000 total season ticket holders.

The arena will be rocking this year from day one.

I don't think it's too much to expect another 3,000 to 4,000 season ticket equivalents as Larry would say from Mini-Paks and 10-Paks.

If season ticket sales jumped that much then mini-pak sales should jump just as much. I'm hoping they get 15-16,000 total season ticket holders.

The arena will be rocking this year from day one.

the best part of these season ticket sales is that the arena will be filled with SABRES fans when they play the leafs instead of LEAFS fans.

as for boycotting the merchandise, folks, you only need to boycott the slug logo... Buy the other stuff left and right.

the best part of these season ticket sales is that the arena will be filled with SABRES fans when they play the leafs instead of LEAFS fans.

not necessarily... If the money is there - selling those tickets help offset the cost of all the others.

I hate to say it, but buying the merchandise with the GD new logo will help us keep Briere, Drury, Miller, Connolly, etc. Maybe they'll make a bunch of stuff with the throwback logo/colors so everyone can just buy that stuff instead.

as for boycotting the merchandise, folks, you only need to boycott the slug logo... Buy the other stuff left and right.

Boycotting the Slug will not do anything to the Slug even. Look at it this way:

The Sabres sell 100 jerseys. 85 are the Classic jersey. Lets say 10 are the Goat Head. And lets say 5 are the Slug (face it, some people will buy them). From these 100 sales, the Sabres make X dollars. This money comes from different areas such as roaylties for logo use, general distibution, outright wholesale, etc. Now lets say the Slug was something everyone loved (it's called imagination and it requires a huge one for this, I know) and they sold 100 jerseys, all slug. Guess what? The Sabres still made X dollars.

Now I know, there is marketability to be looked at but X dollars equals X dollars on the bottom line. The Sabres paid alot of money for this uniform change and they will not just eat that cost, especially if they are still making the same amount of money. In this case, what they will most likely do, in my opinion, is keep the slug and cram it down our throats. Players will be seen at charity events, golf tourneys, visiting sick kids, in interviews, autograph sessions, whatever, always wearing the Slug. There will be signs, ads, sales, banners, billboards, etc everywhere as a pr blitz. And most importantly, add in the fact that the team is doing well. People will start to see something as time goes by: they are not going away. People will slowly start to buy these and the sales will improve. Why? People want to support thier team and wear what the players wear. Kids and teenagers will be directly focused on by the marketing team. Why? Because in this world many parents have forgotten how to say "no" whenever a kids says, "I want that!"

I really think it is here to stay for a while. I don't like it, but I have to admit that it ain't going anywhere anytime soon as long as the Sabres continue to make money and continue to win.

Archived