The hell is with these arbitrators?!?

Chilly

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=172429&hubname=

An arbitrator has awarded Jay Bouwmeester a two-year settlement worth $4.35 million. Bouwmeester would make $2.1 million this season and $2.25 million the following year.

What the hell? Thats chump change for Bouwmeester, he's worth a lot more then that.

Gomez gets 5 mill, about what he should have, but Briere gets 5 mill as well?!?!?! Sorry, Danny, but you aren't as good as Scott is.

Do these arbitrators know NOTHING about hockey? Literally NOTHING? I could just imagine some geek with thick glasses looking at numbers going "well you sir, snort, seem to hvae racked up this many points, snort, which would place you in the 3rd tier bracked as far as players go. Doing a cost/benefit analysys on the amount of goals, points, and assists you've had, as well as other statistics, I have decided that you are worth _____."

"But you didn't include all the intangibles and things that statistics don't measure."

"Sorry, snort, but numbers are what I live for. Pretty numbers! Yes, numbers! He gets 5 million."

Bouwmeester is worth more than that in the sense that he is so young and already a top-2 defenseman ... but he has not EARNED more than that with his play to this point. To give him what he is WORTH to a franchise would mean he gets $5 million too and throws the whole thing out of whack even more.

He's only played one season in the NHL. The arbitrators are basing their awards heavily on NHL experience. This is exactly why Pominville won't pass the 1 million mark in his hearing.

Thats retarded.

Didn't know that, thanks.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=172429&hubname=

What the hell? Thats chump change for Bouwmeester, he's worth a lot more then that.

Gomez gets 5 mill, about what he should have, but Briere gets 5 mill as well?!?!?! Sorry, Danny, but you aren't as good as Scott is.

Do these arbitrators know NOTHING about hockey? Literally NOTHING? I could just imagine some geek with thick glasses looking at numbers going "well you sir, snort, seem to hvae racked up this many points, snort, which would place you in the 3rd tier bracked as far as players go. Doing a cost/benefit analysys on the amount of goals, points, and assists you've had, as well as other statistics, I have decided that you are worth _____."

"But you didn't include all the intangibles and things that statistics don't measure."

"Sorry, snort, but numbers are what I live for. Pretty numbers! Yes, numbers! He gets 5 million."

I would agree with you that Boumeester's deal is slightly low. (But I don't think that he should have been up in the $3MM's either.) Hopefully, that's good news for the Sabres regarding Lydman's hearing that was scheduled for today.

The thing that is tough for the arbitrators is: how do you place a quantified value on something that is by definition unquantifiable? It is especially difficult to show that your intangibles are highly valuable when your team is not successful. Yes, Mr. Bouwmeester was an important part of the Panthers, the problem for him was he was an important part of the Panthers.

The league and union agree beforehand what players are available as comparables for what players, then the team and player pick the relevant comparables from the lists, so it could be such that the arbitrator really didn't have much to go on that would have given JB much more money.

PS Bouwmeester's been in the league since '02-'03.

I think the problem I have with it is that some guys they seem to use their actual performance, while others like Briere they seem to take into account things like "hitting his prime, leader on the team, steadily improving" ... almost speculating that he WILL earn the $5 million but he hasn't actually done it yet.

Not a big deal, but in the interest of accuracy, as I am a "numbers cruncher", his is actually on Thursday

TSN had it listed for July 26. (But they've gotten other things regarding arbitration incorrect, so I wouldn't put it past them.)

TSN had it listed for July 26. (But they've gotten other things regarding arbitration incorrect, so I wouldn't put it past them.)

Did you read the Bouwmeester story? TSN has finally caught their error with the 48 hours rule. It only took them a week too. :rolleyes:

I'm too lazy to look would some of the informed folks respond to my belief that the arbitrators likely consider when a player is eligible to become an UFA? For instance, since Briere is eligible to be an UFA after the 06-07 season he gets a high award and a 1 year deal. Does Bouwmeester have 2 years before he is eligible to be an UFA or did his 2 year award take a potential year as an UFA away from him?

I'm too lazy to look would some of the informed folks respond to my belief that the arbitrators likely consider when a player is eligible to become an UFA? For instance, since Briere is eligible to be an UFA after the 06-07 season he gets a high award and a 1 year deal. Does Bouwmeester have 2 years before he is eligible to be an UFA or did his 2 year award take a potential year as an UFA away from him?

This has been posted in several other threads.

A player that is 1 year away from UFA status cannot have his team choose a 2 year award.

The arbitrator does not consider what MIGHT happen to the player outside the term of the arbitration award.

Archived